Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Aug 16, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Our best tip from this year, in the morning on our visit to the parks we wanted to avoid the long bag check queues and usually I take small back pack and end up carrying everything so I had a small purse that had a key ring clip, I kept a credit card, driving licence, dollars and the car key in it. Then I'd ordered ponchos that fit in small clip on pouches, so everyone clipped those on their shorts and I also got a small fold up rucksack, this was really lightweight and was small enough to fit in my pocket, I only took this in case we needed the ponchos and I could chuck them in rucksack once rain stopped. DH put camera and phone in his zip up pockets.

This probably sounds really silly, but for me it was so lovely not carrying everything and my back hurting because we end up taking stuff we don't really need.

The evening/afternoon bag check queue wasn't bad so I'd take my Kipling multiple as a bum bag and I could fit my nicer slightly bigger camera in this
Old 3 Sep 16, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My tip would be to make a note of your car hire companies phone number, vehicle reg and agreement number and store it in your phone or in your wallet/purse so you have it with you when out and about.

I say this because you might just need it if, like us, you have children who could (and did) lock the keys inside your vehicle!

This happened to us at Disney Springs. 30 minutes before Cirque du soleil was about to start! Our 3 year old placed them in the boot while I was packing it up! "I didn't think you needed them anymore" she said when I asked where they were.

Fortunately the lady on the desk at Disney quest had a number for Alamo and they put me in touch with their breakdown team who in turn were able to remotely unlock the car via OnStar. I only missed the first 5 mins of the show luckily enough but things could've been quicker if I had all the details.
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 16, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post

If you are going in August (or any hot/humid time) - sports compression shorts. Great for rides etc you are going to get wet on and don't want the uncomfortable wet underwear that takes forever to dry.
Flip flops for a quick change for water rides as no shoes is a no go.
Get beer in small cans to take in as they often get mistaken for soda and they will often let you take them in.
Accept you are going to fight and argue but start each day afresh.
Hooters has a great choice of beer!
If you are staying in a Rosen you can park in all of the Rosen hotels. Park in the Rosen nearest Universal and walk to Universal or Wet n Wild - it is a nice walk, saves you $20 each time and seems shorter each time you do it.
If on iDrive - book a restaurant for Saturday night to avoid long waits (especially around Pointe).
Don't stay at Four Points in Cocoa Beach unless you want to be tortured by extreme air con noise (at least until they finish their refurbishment).
Just because stuff is in the outlets doesn't make it cheap - be aware of the price of stuff back home.
Prepare to be surprised how expensive the supermarkets are.
Play spot the English person at Walmart (usually they will have a trolley filled with sweets)!
Don't buy a bottle of Kingfisher in Animal Kingdom - a pint of beer is only 2 mins away!
Refillable cups aren't the con they initially seem (can't understand why you would buy more than 1)...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 16, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Some Tips

With things getting more and more expensive and the exchange rate pretty awful, Maybe we can all share some planning and money saving tips, I go with my Family again in 2018 and would love to read some of other DIBBERs money saving tips. We went in April this year and these are some of our tips.

My Daughter brought Disney T-Shirts for the children from Primark and other cheaper stores and took them with us.

We Brought small Disney soft toys and gave them to the children once we arrived, Saved a small fortune not buying them in the Disney shops.

We purchased a Disney Princess dress from Tesco for £8.

We was on the DDP so we would get fruit cups from our quick service meal and use them for breakfast the next day.

You can go to any counter in Disney parks and ask for Ice cold water.

If staying off site buy the kids eat free card.

I would love to read others tips
Old 14 Oct 16, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkzabelle
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

I have also bought 2 princess dresses for my daughters when they go to bbb. Saves $60! As well as the kids eat free cards. Just following this thread though because as you say, the exchange rate is awful atm. Luckily we changed half of our money before brexit. Currently scraping the last pennies together though! Before brexit we would have got 5600, whereas now we're looking at 4800
Tinkzabelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 16, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Walmart is good for Disney stuff like keyrings magnets that kind of thing. also the Disney warehouse shop is good you never know what you may find!
Old 14 Oct 16, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookey26
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We go first time in may 2017 and I am also planning on buying a few Disney clothing bits from the likes of primark etc with two boys they are not keen on dress up so avoid that but if they were I'd buy here first.

I'm also planning on taking some cereal and dry snacks to help with breakfast in the room before heading out for the day.

Will be following this thread for any other tips 😊
Pookey26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 16, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

My top tip is to use a special cooling towel. You wet them, wring them out and then drape them around your shoulders, over your head, on your lap etc. They draw the heat from your body and don't make your clothes wet. You simply re-wet them when they start to become less effective. I bought one in the yoga supplies area of Walmart for about half the price of the exact same towel on Amazon.

I felt a huge difference, made it much easier to cope with the heat. I normally started to use mine at around midday and the days I didn't use it I really really flagged and struggled.
Old 14 Oct 16, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
firsttimedream
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Following 😊 newbie
firsttimedream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 16, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Money saving hints.

Looking for people's hints and tips to make your holiday pound go a bit further that have been mentioned on the dibb but probably forgotten by us all. My favourites that I have used are.

Booking a Disney all you can eat buffet late afternoon so you only pay the afternoon prices but enjoy the evening buffet which is much more expensive due better food in Buffet.

You can also do this at golden coral.

My favourite is the 15th day on a 14 day pass. The Disney pass expires 14 days after first use therefore giving you a 15th day. Suppose it's the same as a 21 day but never tried this

Going for breakfast in a resort hotel.

Ask for free iced water in the parks and spray a jucie concentrate in them.
Feel free to add more.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List