Notices

Old 24 Apr 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Quebec City: Spring 2019 - Day 5 Vieux Quebec

Another early wake up! Though at least it looked as though the weather would be nice again.

I pottered around, had breakfast and a shower before leaving the apartment at 8:15 AM. I stopped to get a maple coffee together with a carrot and raisin muffin.

Though I didn't actually get to drink much of the coffee as one of my classmates accidentally knocked it off the table. At least it just went over the floor and not over anyone.

This morning‘s lesson was on writing a letter. As I write emails daily in French, I'm quite adept at this. I finished the exercise in about 20 minutes, while the others were still working on it an hour later. The teacher though was very good at finding me other things to do. I have actually learned quite a lot about the subjunctive.

Downstairs to the language school is a restaurant called Poutineville. I have never eaten poutine.

As they did a veggie option, I decided I would try it. Basically it was chips, gravy, cheese curds, and I added mushrooms. It reminded me a little of chips and gravy that I used to have as a teenager. It was OK but I won't be rushing back to try to it again.

Today's agenda included exploring VIeux Quebec. The first port of call was Place Royal. It is famous for the painting on the wall as you enter the square. The painting depicts Quebec through the ages. There was quite a lot of work going on around the area so it was not possible to see all of the painting.

Compared to yesterday, the whole area was very quiet. Although yesterday wasn't officially a bank holiday, it seemed that a lot of people didn't work. Certainly the traffic on the roads was busy today than it had been previously.

I wanted to go into the church, but it was closed.

One thing I noticed around a lot of the doorways was this decoration. The black and red checkered pattern seems to be a local Quebec material. The tins were maple syrup tins. I think it's to do with the new maple syrup season.

It was bitterly cold today. The wind was awful.

In order to warm up, I went into Maison Smith, a coffee shop. I had a maple latte. This time, I did manage to drink it all.

I liked the timeline of important events in history in Quebec on the toilet door.

Quebec has lots of quaint streets, though most of the shops are tourist ones. This was Petit Champlain.

To get up to the next level was a very steep climb. Feeling lazy, I decided to pay the $3.50 charge for using the funicular.

I had of the cabin to myself.

And it certainly saved my poor legs. It is expensive for what is effectively a one minute trip.

I decided to have a look in the Château Frontenac. Again, it was a lot quieter here than yesterday. Though the cold weather may have been a factor too.

There were lots of interesting boards about the history of the Château. It actually wasn't as old as I thought. I liked the gold letter box placed outside the lift.

From there I walked to the Rue Sous-le-Cap I remember coming here with the family for years ago and my overriding memory was seeing rats.

In the 18th century, it was a passageway between the Port and the old town. To be honest, I think it must have lost some of its charm. The guidebooks say that it is very picturesque but I'm not so sure.

As I was near the market, I called in to get my maple syrup supplies.

I bought some popcorn and tea for the office, together with other maple flavored items such as chocolate and seasoning. And of course the obligatory tin of maple syrup. The total cost was C$25 which I thought was quite good.

There are lots of pedestrian crossings in Quebec City. It has to be said that it can take ages for the white man to appear. But one thing I really did like was to activate to crossing you just placed your finger under the infrared light. This saved you actually having to touch anything. A great idea for a germ phobic.

I called into the supermarket on the way back and bought myself egg mayonnaise sandwiches and crisps. I really didn't fancy anything else for dinner.

I got back to the apartment at about 6 PM and then just spent the evening watching YouTube videos and generally relaxing. I did manage to see 9 PM for the first time this trip.

Edited at 10:46 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 Apr 19 12:49 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Another fantastic day, it looks so quaint, like going back in time!
Your maple syrup supplies are coming along nicely Mel and that coffee looked really nice (maybe a bit too sweet?) Egg Mayo is my absolute favourite sandwich! I too wouldnt rave about Poutine, its something we tried last year and glad I tried it, but its not my favourite.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A good day, and you’re having a better classroom experience this time Mel. The Château looks stunning. I don’t mind a tray of poutine, we’ve had it on both our last visits to Toronto.
Old 25 Apr 19, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Ah Poutine appearance. Shame it was a bit average.
It looks such a nice place but ooh you see how cold it looks!
Is the maple latte very sweet ? I like that black and red pattern on those buckets. The shop doorway looks very inviting .
Is the course living up to expectations ?
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Oh loving this Mel. That's the little Church we nearly got married in! It was going to be in February then we were going off to snowmobile but we decided that it wouldn't be fair on our 8 guests as it would be in the minus 15° temp. My friend was a receptionist in a little hotel opposite there when they filmed the bit in Catch Me If You Can (supposed to be in France) & met Leo DiCaprio. Your making me want to be there with you. So strange seeing all this without the snow tho.
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Another fantastic day, it looks so quaint, like going back in time!
Your maple syrup supplies are coming along nicely Mel and that coffee looked really nice (maybe a bit too sweet?) Egg Mayo is my absolute favourite sandwich! I too wouldnt rave about Poutine, its something we tried last year and glad I tried it, but its not my favourite.
The old town is old - it is quite rare for a North American city which is why it is a popular tourist destination!

The coffee didn’t need sugar

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A good day, and you’re having a better classroom experience this time Mel. The Château looks stunning. I don’t mind a tray of poutine, we’ve had it on both our last visits to Toronto.
I think poutine may be an acquired taste!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 25 Apr 19, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Ah Poutine appearance. Shame it was a bit average.
It looks such a nice place but ooh you see how cold it looks!
Is the maple latte very sweet ? I like that black and red pattern on those buckets. The shop doorway looks very inviting .
Is the course living up to expectations ?
I think once will be enough for the poutine! Much prefer the salads

The latte was sweet! No sugar needed!

The course is better than last year. Though the other participants are very quiet! Maybe it is me! I never answer until I see if they do!

Index of my trip reports
Old 25 Apr 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
Oh loving this Mel. That's the little Church we nearly got married in! It was going to be in February then we were going off to snowmobile but we decided that it wouldn't be fair on our 8 guests as it would be in minus 15° temp. My friend was a receptionist in a little hotel opposite there when they filmed the bit in Catch Me If You Can (supposed to be in France) & met Leo DiCaprio. Your making me want to be there with you. So strange seeing all this without the snow tho.
That would have been a lovely place to gave got married in! You need to visit in summer one year

Index of my trip reports