Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 13 Nov 15, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Toddler constipation (AKa, Too much information thread)

So, our 3 year old has constipation, and it is bad.

We've been to the doctors who prescribed movicol but that ended up with her not eating for a week and 4 days of chronic diarrhea

She is now on the maximum does of lachelin (spelling?) and also on another medicine that should help with bowel movement during the night as it is taken at bedtime but despite also nearly being at the top dose of that nothing is working

we're at our wits end because eventually it just comes out in tiny doses, invariably in her knickers, so she gets even more stressed out at having to go through 5-10 pairs a day.

anyway, has anyone been through this experience and if so, how was it cured and are there other natural medicines we could try. We've changed all her diet to the foods that *should* improve things but with no success as yet

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
starstruck
VIP Dibber

I always found that warm water (boiled first then cooled) helped my DS but appreciate your case may be past this but worth a try. Also aren't bananas supposed to help. Hope someone comes along soon that can give you some useful advice.

Jue
X
starstruck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our wee man went through this at 3 too. I thought he was doing little bits in his pants but turns out he was compacted and the new poo was forcing it's way round the blockage and leaking out like tar. It was awful and you have all my sympathy.

I gave him milk of magnesium (think that's what it's called) which worked as a 1 off to clear a lot of it then luckily movicol worked for us. He had to start on 3 a day. He was holding it in as soon as he felt the pressure. The movicol kind of made it slide out (sorry). So I haven't much advice for you but I know what a horrible thing it can be. He's 5 now and still gets a movicol if he hasn't gone for a day or 2. Like I day, we're lucky this sorts him out and keeps him regular without using a laxitive as such. Hope u find something that works for your wee one soon.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We think the doctor will try and get us to do movicol again but we just don't want to given what happened with it last time.

It does sound like she has the same problem as your son given we were told that it was being forced out too.

Will give the milk of magnesium a try out

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

With my eldest I've always found two or three dried apricots a day works a treat. She also has a carton of apple juice after school which helps aswell.
We've never taken her to the Dr's for it as it was always sorted with this added to her diet so after doing and not doing it (& have the constipation coming back) she just always has the apricots with breakfast and apple juice with her after school snack. Plenty of water or watered down juice as well.
Old 13 Nov 15, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kellwall
Excited about Disney

A friend of mine used to puree tinned mandarins with the juice and mix it up with orange jelly. Use puree mandarins instead of cold water.

Edited at 05:05 PM.
kellwall is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
We think the doctor will try and get us to do movicol again but we just don't want to given what happened with it last time.

It does sound like she has the same problem as your son given we were told that it was being forced out too.

Will give the milk of magnesium a try out
I totally understand your reluctance but maybe worth another go just because it's a stool softer so as for as I've been told it doesn't make their bowel lazy. I make it in a wee cup with either fruit juice or really strong diluting (just a couple of inches full if that) as it's god awful. It's never put him off food though so I know it's easy for me to say. My sil says her dd would only take it in diluting lemon as it masked the taste.

We also don't wait for him to need. I send him at a set time every day. It's not an easy condition when it gets so far on.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Whitequeen
Imagineer

Whitequeen's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes, I had this with my son and unfortunately it lasted for 14 years! I went through hell!
The poo is so compacted that what you are finding is what's being pushed out around the compacted poo. After a while the Anus is stretched and the child doesn't even know when they want to poo.
I know this is all very negative but that's exactly what the whole experience was. We used Movolax, Picolax and everything in between! My poor Son used to have to stay at home most weekends because we had to use, what we called, rocket fuel to clear him out. We couldn't leave home. He had to have an Enema a few times when he was xray'd and found to be backed up to the top of his intestine! I used to have to holiday with rubber gloves so I could clean his underwear. I would cry because it had a huge impact on our family life.
I am amazed to this day at how he got away with it through school!
I have no answers, I'm afraid. We had Doctors and Consultants involved but never cured it. He grew out of it at around 14. He is 22 on Sunday and constantly blocks my loo these days so safe to say it's all sorted now.
All I can advise is to push for help from the medical profession because it is life hindering if it gets too bad.

West Coast Visits-5

Edited at 05:28 PM.
Whitequeen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 15, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by kellwall View Post
A friend of mine used to puree tinned mandarins with the juice and mix it up with orange jelly. Use puree mandarins instead of cold water.
I used to do this for my boys, not for constipation, just a healthier jelly. Makes good ice lollies too.

OP I would just encourage more fruit, especially things like pears. Lower sugar content fruits generally. Dates and prunes are good, but sweet and not always popular with three year olds. The soiling issue is something that could make the situation worse, causing him to hold onto his poo.

Good luck with it all.
Old 13 Nov 15, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I just wrote a long reply but the iPhone deleted it!
My DS2 suffered from the day he was born. We tried everything from the Drs, had X-rays, awful to watch him be in so much pain. It slightly improve when he was potty trained but he has never been 'right'
We found a daily dose of syrup of figs (really old fashioned and an acquired taste) seemed to help things move along without being too harsh. Beetroot also is a good thing for naturally moving things along... although also an acquired taste!
I hope you find something that works. DS2 is now 9 and still has problems every so often. I think as he's older he'll need to work out his triggers.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread