Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 12 Apr 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile SSR questions for 2020

We love SSR and have been three times in the past few years.
We are looking to book Summer 2020 with DDP and will probably book in 2 weeks time into a deluxe resort and hopefully change to SSR at 330 days out.
My main questions are:
1. How extensive is the refurbishment project into summer 2020 and would it be quite disruptive?
2. How does OKW compare to SSR for those who have stayed at both?
3. Are our chances good of getting SSR at 330 days out? ( I am assuming Disney will only charge the difference if we swapped?)?
Many thanks in advance - would love to go next year but can defer until 2021.
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stargazer69
Getting Excited

We have stayed at both OKW & SSR, and both are lovely resorts and I would be happy staying in either.

Last year we booked POFQ with the hope of upgrading to either OKW & SSR. It was well past the 330 day mark before OKW was available and we transferred our booking for only the difference in price. SSR did not appear for our dates while the free ddp was on offer, although there were dates when it was.

POR 2022
OKW 2019, SSR 2017, OKW 2015, OKW 2013
stargazer69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
anniebee65
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi folks, we’re looking to book OKW for 4th January, 2020. Would that date be available on April 25th as it’s inside the 330 day window?
anniebee65 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anniebee65 View Post
Hi folks, we’re looking to book OKW for 4th January, 2020. Would that date be available on April 25th as it’s inside the 330 day window?
It's on the Disney site now, just checked 4th Jan 2020 for 7 nights and OKW is there so should be fine providing theres availability.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
TORIMS
VIP Dibber

We are thinking SSR for August next year but would also like to know about the refurbishment? Would rather just go for POR if there is a lot of work being done over that period. DH prefers SSR but probably wouldn't be too happy if the works caused a lot of disruption. Will be good to know if anyone has further information on it.

Vicki x

Apr 1998 Rodeway Inn International drive
Oct 2000 Quality Inn Anahiem, Navy lodge Coranado & The Rio Las Vegas
Apr 2005 Formosa Gardens & Toronto
Dec 2007 Newport Bay DLP
Feb 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Aug 2014 2 weeks SSR (1 night HRH)
TORIMS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyPete View Post
2. How does OKW compare to SSR for those who have stayed at both?
I have stayed at both and am in much the same position re 2020. We will be travelling with a 6 and 4 year old.

OKW:
I prefer the sandcastle pool over the main pool at SSR
Bigger rooms, compairing old with old I prefer the OKW decor. I think from what I have seen the same applies for the refurbished at both
I love the keys theming

SSR:
The secondary pools are a lot nicer, I love the grandstand pool.
Much better quick service offerings, those at OKW are little better than the pool bar at the Springs pool.
Location is much better for Disney Springs, plus the resort isn’t as spread out as OKW so a lot easier to get around.
I think the studio at SSR is a better design than OKW for 2 people and a baby, given the sofa area, but better at OKW for 4 given two proper beds.

We will be needing a 2 bed and a studio, I was tending towards SSR until I read about the refurb (which I had expected would be well underway by now not just starting). On balance I think we are likely to be heading back to OKW next year as it will ensure that we get a refurbished room and no construction impact. However first I want to see what the price difference is vs other deluxe villa resorts that have been added this year.
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks everyone for your replies - keep them coming in. Never really been in this situation in all my years of visiting Disney
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List