Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Recommend an e reader

Ho Hum I finally may have to buy one because I've finished the 20 library books I got just before Christmas and now the libraries are closed.
I know absolutely nothing about these gadgets and the few times I've borrowed one I didn't like it compared to a real book so I don't want to spend a fortune as I have a feeling it will get shoved in a drawer and never used again once life is back to 'normal'
Please recommend a lower priced one and say how it differs from the others and why you like it
thank you
(I know you can get an app for your 'phone but my 'phone screen is tiny and not suitable)

Edited at 08:54 AM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
mojo.121
Excited about Disney

Morning
I have a kindle and much prefer it to a real/physical book. I also have the app on my phone & iPad and can switch between each gadget and pick the book up from where I left off. You can get the app for free and get free books why not give it a try to see how you get on with it.
M.
mojo.121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I used to have a kindle, had 2 or 3 in total but then abandoned it and went for the app on the phone/iPad
Old 18 Jan 21, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
MilliesFairy
Proud to wear my Ears

I have a kindle paperwhite which I love, but also have the borough library app (borrowbox) on my ipad. Its free and you can get books and audiobooks through it so has your library got that option? I know you said, not an app, but thought you might have another device other than your phone that you could put it on.
MilliesFairy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I’ve got a kindle paper white, it means I can read in bed at night without putting the light on, I really like it. So handy to pop in your bag if you are out and about as well(not really necessary at the moment!). Great for travelling, and I tend to find new authors I might not have looked at as I tend to mainly buy the 99p offers.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Ho Hum I finally may have to buy one because I've finished the 20 library books I got just before Christmas and now the libraries are closed.
I know absolutely nothing about these gadgets and the few times I've borrowed one I didn't like it compared to a real book so I don't want to spend a fortune as I have a feeling it will get shoved in a drawer and never used again once life is back to 'normal'
Please recommend a lower priced one and say how it differs from the others and why you like it
thank you
(I know you can get an app for your 'phone but my 'phone screen is tiny and not suitable)

I use my iPad with the app but that not for everyone here what’s avable from Argos I world have a read though. The cheap one about 90 pound

argos/sd/cheapest-...indle-ereader/
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Willeve View Post
I’ve got a kindle paper white, it means I can read in bed at night without putting the light on, I really like it. So handy to pop in your bag if you are out and about as well(not really necessary at the moment!). Great for travelling, and I tend to find new authors I might not have looked at as I tend to mainly buy the 99p offers.
Exactly this!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mojo.121
Excited about Disney

How about looking at eBay for a second hand one to try if you don’t have an iPad. Also on my iPhone I can adjust the print size in the kindle app
mojo.121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mojo.121 View Post
How about looking at eBay for a second hand one to try if you don’t have an iPad. Also on my iPhone I can adjust the print size in the kindle app
Happy to do that but I don't know what I'm looking for!
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mojo.121
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Happy to do that but I don't know what I'm looking for!
Do you mean your not sure what sort of e-reader to look for or how to adjust the text size?
I’ve only had a kindle, so can only comment on that, a paper white as others mentioned for the screen to be backlit so can be read in a dark room and you can adjust the brightness to your liking and also adjust the text size both on the kindle or the iPhone/iPad while your using it. If it’s not a paper white the screen isn’t backlit so wouldn’t be able to read in a dark room. Both can be read outside in the sunshine with no having to shade it.
I bought mine from eBay nearly 10 years ago just to try out to see if I would use it enough and I do, it had a small scuff on the screen but doesn’t effect it and still going strong so not had to replace it think I less than £50.
Hope that might help