Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Finally we decided to do in depth research of my Wife's Family Tree that so far has taken nearly 2 years and we haven't even scratched the surface.

I decided not to do my Family as I suspect my Ancestors got transported to the Colonies.
This was something my Dad did for his family and although his rellies weren't transported, one was a sheep stealer and was in Bodmin Gaol. We visited his grave when we were in Cornwall once. As you say best not to dig too deep I'm trying to add to what he started with my mums side but not got very far.
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

In a word NO I am fitter and more active just now. You are just recovering from a long and hard working career Mickey, just take your time you deserve it.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
M Tom, I’ve recently started to do some family history research, isn’t it fascinating?

Much to my (very straight laced) moms shock, her grandparents had a number of children before they got married, very unusual back in the late 1800’s we think 😱😱😱

I’m loving retirement, not missed work once!
Ahh the Children out of wedlock. Not as unusual as one would think.

The Victorians may have come across as strait laced but Marriage Certificate dates v Birth Certificate dates don't lie.

Oh look he/she was premature. What by 6 Months.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Ahh the Children out of wedlock. Not as unusual as one would think.

The Victorians may have come across as strait laced but Marriage Certificate dates v Birth Certificate dates don't lie.

Oh look he/she was premature. What by 6 Months.
They were not above fibbing on birth certificates either, that has shocked me.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Much of what happens from the shoulders down is relative to the shoulders up.

We try and fill our days with walks and house stuff, but my Mother’s needs provides us with the majority of our exercise 😂

Keeping busy means we get more value out of relaxation 👍

Off now to Mum, hoover, washing and change her bed.

Disney332
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
They were not above fibbing on birth certificates either, that has shocked me.
Sue. Totally correct, but then they messed up their cunning plan by having said Child Baptised and that date can't be fiddled with.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I kind of tried to retire when my local Police Service forced us all to retire under regulation 19 for 3 years from 2010-13.

I thought that I would simply do a bit of General handyman/DIY work as and when it suited me and in order to bolster my vacation fund (which would have been rather small).

This simply did not work for me as in any case, 50.5 years was too young to sit back. 11 years later and I still am back, working full time until certainly, I have overwritten my SERPS opted out years to get a full State Pension. I have no regrets on this course of action at all and as of 24 May 2024, when SERPS is no longer a factor, then I will take each month at a time, maybe just topping up my Pension with ‘bank work’ in the local Hospital as and when I fancy it.

Hoping that I am better equipped to enjoy retirement next time around and learn ‘manyana’ skills…. Allthough somehow I doubt it! I am simply not good at sitting back and watching.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Sue. Totally correct, but then they messed up their cunning plan by having said Child Baptised and that date can't be fiddled with.
The one I'm thinking of has been recorded to the wrong mother!
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I kind of tried to retire when my local Police Service forced us all to retire under regulation 19 for 3 years from 2010-13.

I thought that I would simply do a bit of General handyman/DIY work as and when it suited me and in order to bolster my vacation fund (which would have been rather small).

This simply did not work for me as in any case, 50.5 years was too young to sit back. 11 years later and I still am back, working full time until certainly, I have overwritten my SERPS opted out years to get a full State Pension. I have no regrets on this course of action at all and as of 24 May 2024, when SERPS is no longer a factor, then I will take each month at a time, maybe just topping up my Pension with ‘bank work’ in the local Hospital as and when I fancy it.

Hoping that I am better equipped to enjoy retirement next time around and learn ‘manyana’ skills…. Allthough somehow I doubt it! I am simply not good at sitting back and watching.
I think you previously mentioned that you still do shift work which must be a killer after all these years so full respect to you.

I’m not sure if you need to work or you’re just a careful man with money (a polite way of saying tight). Most ex coppers or serving coppers I’ve known/know are mainly tight with money and this might be a coincidence as I’m unsure why being a copper or ex copper would make someone tight?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 21, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Since my husband retired, he's decided he likes to cook,lol I'm not complaining,just had breakfast in bed.😁He walks 5 or 6 miles a day come rain or shine and his job now is studying form to pay for all our holidays.
Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List