Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 10 Nov 21, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
erm33
slightly serious Dibber

Its definitely a money grab, but it works. We had only a few hours with my wife's brother at Hollywood Studios one day. Got lightning lane and also purchased rise as a single attraction. Walked on tower of terror, rock N roller coaster, slinky, star tours, toy story mania, swirling saucers and rise all with less than 5 min wait. Did standby for runaway railway and millennium falcon, both in under an hour near park close. Never would have been able to do all that without it, so it was worth the extra expense in that situation.

If you have the budget to do it, then go for it. If not, then you don't have to. But when time is a major limiting factor it's totally worth it. Rise was literally a walk on when it was showing 120min standby. I'd always pay $15 to save 2 hours of my time if I wanted to ride it.
erm33 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

you can count me in the genie+ negative camp. We are going at the end of August so I doubt we will need it. Otherwise I would only pay if I jad no alternative (i.e. hour long queues everywhere unless you have genie+). My red line is IAS, that is a flat no, id rather miss out.

Do I have a negative outlook on life? No, I juat value money differently. Im not preparedto throw money at disney regardless - I would simply go elsewhere and spend money on things that are more reasonable.

I *am* still going to WDW but this will moat likely be the last time, the kids are older, there are other places in the world I want to visit and disney has lost its charm for us, we are barely feeling special for stopping onsite with the removal of perks etc.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
MJ6987
Very Serious Dibber

twitter/wdwmagic/status/...351758345?s=21
MJ6987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MJ6987 View Post
Bob Chapek continues to be very happy with Genie “I’m not sure if everyone appreciates the gravity of this to the Genie plus success. One third of the guests at Walt Disney World are buying the Genie+ upgrade. That's per guest, per day, $15”

Great for shareholders😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 06:20 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

33% are paying for it.
Revenue per guest has been increased by 30% overall.
Profit drives continue, with it being mentioned in the earnings call they are now considering cutting food portion sizes to add further profit.
Old 11 Nov 21, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
33% are paying for it.
Yeah, like you say, 33% of guests are content with buying Genie+.

I suspect current guest numbers may not quite be back up to what they used to be pre-pandemic. But if we assume there are an average of 120,000 guests at the 4 parks per day and 33% of them are buying Genie+ then that's an extra $600K per day that WDW is making. In the next year, that'll be another £220M - on top of what they make from ticket sales and everything else.

I'm actually surprised the number isn't higher. It's only 33% who are buying this. I can see Disney trying to come up with ways to encourage more people to buy it - probably more publicity to make more people aware of it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

I suspect current guest numbers may not quite be back up to what they used to be pre-pandemic. But if we assume there are an average of 120,000 guests at the 4 parks per day and 33% of them are buying Genie+ then that's an extra $600K per day that WDW is making. In the next year, that'll be another £220M - on top of what they make from ticket sales and everything else.

I'm actually surprised the number isn't higher. It's only 33% who are buying this. I can see Disney trying to come up with ways to encourage more people to buy it - probably more publicity to make more people aware of it.
Yes just the Genie+ and not thousands paying more for ROTR etc, I calculated about $275m a year more. That’s almost pure profit (app development, marketing and signage aside) margin must be unbelievable. That alone I suspect is making more profit than many listed companies.

Edited at 02:26 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49

Once you remove vLoggers, who are conducting a seemingly never-ending series of Genie+ tests to pump out on YouTube, you are left with just a single family from Utah who bought it once, and that was by mistake.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PABBY
Excited about Disney

The way to make more people buy it is to increase the guest numbers allowed into the parks, causing naturally longer stand-by queue times.
PABBY is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 21, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I actually think the number will taper off once guests realise that really the only parks that you will need it for are MK & HS, then just pay for Rise, Ratatouille & FOP. IMO a UK guest on a 14 day tickets doesn't need it unless you intend to do every ride on every visit, those that are saying they will just pop in as & when, it's the same as FP+ the LL can run out whether you've bought Genie+ or not! If you've got limited time then I'd say go for it, it's just not for me. All that aside I might pay to do the new rides once but I'm not going to pay to ride it multiple times over a holiday & you can only pay once per day anyway!
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List