Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Nov 21, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
franko77
Trying for More Ears

Currensea Card

Hi all

I was looking at the best option to use as a fee free card when in Florida, I was petty set on Monzo until I discovered this on Money Supermarket, just wondered if anyone had used it before, was it easy enough and accepted in most places?
TIA

Link if it helps anyone else...

moneysupermarket/pre...AV ELCARDEURO
franko77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

We have a Halidax Calrity credit card that we use when over there, but I've also read that Startling are really good and fee free. We've all got Starling accounts, so will try that next time too.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
nickand
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

i use revolut and monzo. Revolut for saving up my dollars in the savings vault with interest and Monzo for paying at gas pump. Also have a revolut junior for my daughter to save up her money and use out there. No fees with Revolut unless you want to take out a lot of cash out there! I get cash here to use for tips.
nickand is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Looks like there is a 0.50% mark up on the interbank rate.
I use halifax clarity for a credit card, you get the actual interbank rate plus the added protection of being a card. I have a starting bank account if I need to take cash out or if something happens to the clarity card
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mouskevik
Imagineer

We use Starling, I transfer a daily amount from my current account when abroad so there's never too much on there at one time.

You get the MasterCard exchange rate and I've used the card in four countries so far.

The app is brilliant, really clear and whenever you spend you get a push notification of the amount in the local currency and GBP.
Sandy Ridge/Miami/HRH - Aug 2019
mouskevik is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Looks like currensea is better than a high street bank but still wouldn’t beat Revolut, starling or wise due to the 0.5% conversion fee above interbank.

With Revolut and wise you can also keep a balance in dollars so exchange it when the rate is good.

I also use Halifax clarity for big purchases.

If you want cash then find a WAWA gas station as they don’t charge to withdraw (mostly every other ATM does).
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
franko77
Trying for More Ears

I do have Revolut and have a lot of issues with it in the past so its put me off quite a bit.

I am only going to use it for purchases & travel, quite like the look of the Starling one as it goes, has anyone got experience of using it on Uber, Bolt or Lyft?
franko77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Originally Posted by franko77 View Post
I do have Revolut and have a lot of issues with it in the past so its put me off quite a bit.

I am only going to use it for purchases & travel, quite like the look of the Starling one as it goes, has anyone got experience of using it on Uber, Bolt or Lyft?
Starling is basically a current account, so using it is no different than using a card with any bank.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dan223 View Post
Starling is basically a current account, so using it is no different than using a card with any bank.
Except most high street banks charge you a mark up and fee. Starling don’t and neither do many of the other challenger banks such as Chase.

If you have a ‘legacy’ bank account then currensea can help you avoid this but with starling you’re in a better position anyway.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
delboybloomer
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by franko77 View Post

With Revolut, you have to make sure you have the security settings set up correctly. particularly if you dont do roaming with your phone. you need to turn OFF location based security and turn ON swipe based payments.

Once these are set up I have never had issues using abroad.
November 2013 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
Aug 2008 & Dec 2009 - Best Western lakeside,
delboybloomer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List