Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Jul 19, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

AVIS app, swap car. My experience

Prior to arrival into TPA, the app at approx 6 hrs before updated the booking with the "pick up" option.

The app uses your location and won't allow you to select pick up due to geo location until you are in the airport.

Once arrived into TPA, I was able to select pick up and theory choose my car.

However, I was presented with an error advising to go to the desk.

I tried both on the uk and usa apps but same message.

Asking the girl at the desk in the garage why, she was as unhelpful as you would expect at 1:45am. She blamed that I didn't have a card on file, however I do and its visable in the app.

She then told me which car was allocated, Premium suv, suburban, I asked which model was it /trim level it was and she was clueless.. Jusy said its silver and the class I had book and what the problem was... ... 😬

I asked her again were there were any other options as the app failed to allow me to choose and she said no... Your car is in bay a10.

Went to a10 and there were no other cars in row A at all and no other Premiums were spotted from the kiosk to the far end of the garage in row A.. There were a few FULL SIZE tahoes but not much else.

Picked up the silver suburban LT 4x4 variant on Tennesse plates with 11k miles on the clock.

Overall condtion is good, it's got a few extras such as roof mounted TV screens, sunroof, heated steering wheel, 4g wifi, on star plus the remote avis online connection so I can unlock, flash lights of the car via the app, plus view current mileage, gallons of fuel in tank on pick up and real time fuel level. (see screen shots below)

When I was departing the garage at the barrier, the chap was really friendly cracking jokes, I was not in the mood for jokes near 2am, he gave me a quick receipt after 5 mins of waffling about something or another non related to car hire, and said your all set.. Have a good trip and lifted the barrier... At which point the fine tooth comb comes out and I say why are you charging me an extra driver! ? Some waffle off him and his head goes down when I say we have free extra driver via BA.. (note, he had note even asked if this was wanted just added it.)

Revised invoice provided.. I then ask why you charging me $86 for prepaid gas? He says its on your booking, I say to him you look at my phone here, it's not! (I have screen shots in advance of my booking for this very reason, the cheeky git added it and he knows exactly what he was doing! He then removes this from my booking with a again revised estimated total of $0.01c but saying I have managed to get you the car seats free of charge as a preferred member to which point I say, repeat that please and then he goes onto to say its all sorted (I brought my own car seats for kids) ... Zero estimated charges, have a good drive..

At this point I leave with blood pressure boiling!

This rental car practice of just adding crap onto your booking is so unregulated world wide.. So as its said many times, check your receipt before leaving the garage.

Below are some screen shots of the app with the errors.. The same errors were both present in the uk and usa version on the apps.

USA app

USA

USA app app

USA app

uk app

Usa app

USA app

Edited at 09:46 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 02:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
HI Rick we are here too..picked up car with Avis last Sunday. Not v impressed at all...too tired to ask to change...SUV is a 7 seater dodge we had booked a full size suv...its stank of smoke which isnt grest for me with health issues! I cleaned it next day...cc hit with €66. Presume that's for gas...Will sort when we are home but back to Alamo for us in the future.
Ciano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:17 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Shame the app didn’t work - we’re picking up from TPA next week so will give it a go. Last year we weren’t impressed with the knackered car we’d been assigned but they did change it for us before leaving the garage.
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:23 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

Not good at all,especially all the extras added without asking,then the cheek to say the car seats were free when you had your own! .sad to hear it as we are flying into Tampa in a few weeks too with Ba!.(strike permitting).Hope you have a great holiday and good on you for spotting the issues despite being near 2 am!
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando_Kings
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando_Kings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Cheers RickT.
We were all waiting to see if it worked in the app & really disappointed that it didn't.

Totally shambolic from the chap at the barrier, like you say everyone of us needs to beware.

Nice looking motor though.

Enjoy
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

We always tend to hire with Avis as it’s either a ba fly drive or discounted with avios.
Very naughty barrier chap although I don’t believe this is unique to Avis. You just a particularly shoddy one problem trying it on as it was 2am.
Shame the app wouldn’t work although I have a similar problem. I have Avis preferred and although my name is always on the board I always have to go to the desk. (In garage)
I have updated my credit card but this was the reason this year too.
The lady was quite helpful but it wouldn’t let her update it either. So I’ll have to go to the desk next year too!
I don’t mind so much as I can make sure there that they haven’t added anything on, which they didn’t this year, barrier print out zero.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Rick. Nice car, well done on spotting the scam at the barrier. It does make you wonder what percentage of renters get caught out by these people.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
voicon
Apprentice Imagineer

voicon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thanks for the update, shame the app didn't work correctly.

I've not been stung with the added fuel etc yet but always careful, good job picking them up though, this needs to be publicised more so others dont get caught out.
voicon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

Hi Rick,
Were those options all in the UK version of the app?
Thanks for the report, looks like you got a decent car. I will be checking for extra charges very carefully when I collect!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Disappointing about the app not working properly, Avis will probably hit out with some excuse about not available in all rental locations or the time of your pickup...you should hit them up on twitter about the error when you're home and back to normal.

With the add on stuff, again its disappointing but don't think you'll find many folk surprised these days.