Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Return of the Rescuer – Day 13 – 15.7.19 – Back to the Universe

Return of the Rescuer – Day 13 – 15.7.19 – Back to the Universe

Index is here

As good a time as we were having at Disney, Ds was missing the thrill rides. We had a discussion and decided we’d look into trying to do another night at Universal. This was something we’d talked about before our trip depending on how we felt so it didn’t come completely out the blue. We had a look at our plans and at the annual passholder rates for the 3 express hotels and settled on a night at Portofino for today. It was £255 which we thought was good as we only booked it 2 days before.

We were up at 7.30am. We had no intention of wanting to be there for rope drop or early entry but we hoped to get the at a reasonable hour. Before we left we shared the Magic cookie bars and bought a new universal annual photo pass. These had just gone on offer again on the Amazing Pictures website for $80.

We got an Uber about 9am, the traffic was fine to the hotel but the traffic heading into the parks was mental. We arrived just after 9.30am. Check in was efficient and the lady was lovely. For the first time ever we got to pick our own room key. We were shown all the ones available and we all got to choose, ds thought this was fabulous and of course picked the Hulk.

Portofino is a beautiful hotel. I love the way it looks like little Italian streets inside. And the outside is so stunning.

We timed the walk from Portofino to the security check just before the Universal park, it took 13 minutes, we cut through the butterfly garden at Hard Rock.

It is a slightly longer than Hard Rock and RPR but not a big deal at all.

First thing to do was to nip into the photo place and activate our photo pass thing. While we were in there Ds decided to buy himself a Hulk lanyard. I assumed the park would be busy as Minions was showing an 85 minute line so we skipped that and headed to Jimmy Fallon. Hashtag the Panda was out doing meet and greets.

I quite like the Jimmy Fallon ride, do they still have the barbershop singers out ever, I’ve never seen them in a while.

We were happy to let Ds take the lead today and the Mummy was his next request.

At this point we stopped to reactivate our cup, I decided to go inside somewhere to do it so I could get my passholder discount. We headed round Diagon Alley and spent a bit of time taking pictures of the shops for something I want to do at school. All the little details here are so amazing, I’m sure I find some new little detail every time we go.

Next up Gringotts, they were back doing the in-line photo today and the line was pretty normal.

As we headed round to Men in Black we got a text to let us know our room was ready. This ride is such fun, especially when you win… We got round to just before you get off when all the vehicles stopped, we were like 2 steps away from the platform for getting off. Next up all the lights came on so we were lucky to have finished our ride. It took about 5 minutes till some guys came round and manually released the restraints. We had been going to ride it more than once but decided against taking any chances.

Ds was keen to ride the Simpsons, the line for this seems to get worse and worse, I’m not sure they operate as many of the levels as they used to and we were directed to the top and it took an age, I feel I’m pretty much done with this ride but Ds still likes it.

We were hungry by now so decided to stop for snacks. We got a jalapeño pretzel and pizza pretzel and had them in the passholder lounge. Unfortunately the jalapeño pretzel was distinctly lacking in jalapeño cheese, very disappointing!

The plan had been to ride Rip Ride on the way out, Dh wasn’t really feeling up to it so DS and I went on. The line started off pretty fast but we stalled just after the part where they check your express pass, we noticed the ride had stopped. I have to say I like this ride but I’m absolutely terrified of getting stuck on this on the upward climb. It started again, stopped again and they made an announcement about technical issues, at this point Ds and I bottled it. We noticed when we left the park through the Blue Man Group exit that it was running again but looked like cars were getting held at the end for longer than normal and by that point the line was massive.

Starving we decided to head over to Panda Express. We ordered a kids meal with chow mein and orange chicken.

We also ordered a 3 main plate with rice, orange chicken, wok fried shrimp and pepper chicken. Plus a chicken egg roll.

All of it was really tasty and great value.

Since we were in the middle of Citywalk we decided to get the boat back.

The sky was looking black and the captain was advising people that if the boats went off because of a storm you could get a bus back to Portofino from the parks,

Such a beautiful view to return to.

We stopped in at Starbucks for some drinks and a snack.

Our room was really nice and spacious. Our view was very similar to the one we had a few years ago.

It was quite dark outside and a thunder storm started so rather than going to the pool we had a nap instead.

For dinner there was only one choice for us at Portofino, Sals! I love Sals pizza.

We ordered a large Salvatore pizza to share with mushrooms only on one half.

This was gorgeous. You order and they give you a buzzer. When your food is ready you collect it and it’s all on a big pizza tray and they give you proper plates and cutlery.

Great value, it was less than $20.

We headed out to get the boat. I absolutely love how gorgeous this resort is, it’s just so stunning.

We had decided on IOA tonight and our plan was Marvel Superhero Island. First stop Spider Man. Next up Dr Doom, it was awesome and great doing it altogether.

Hulk was next, I’d been speaking to Dh about focusing his sight straight ahead at all times to try and help the motion sickness. He came off quite happy having focused on the track and was up for a second ride. The express line wasn’t crazy so I suggested asking for the front row, Dh was up for trying this. We had to wait a little longer but wow was it worth it, it was absolutely amazing. Definitely one of the best experiences of the holiday.

Our final ride of the night was Dr Doom in the dark, even better when it’s dark.

I’d wanted to buy a Loungefly purse this holiday and I was torn between a Disney one and a Marvel one. The only place I’d seen Marvel ones that I liked was in the Marvel Boutique here. I struggled to decide between Guardians of the Galaxy one and the Infinity War one.

I eventually settled on the Infinity War one. I used my AP for 10% and the team member seemed really surprised that someone from the UK could have one.

We filled the mug and had a slow walk back to Portofino where we decided to sit out at the Thirsty Fish. Again a lovely setting with the harbour for a view.

A Pinot Grigio for me, peroni for Dh and a Diet Coke for Ds. We also had a cheese plate with crackers which was all very nice and chilled.

Excellent bonus Universal day and lovely comfy beds at Portofino.

Day 14

Edited at 04:09 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I bet you never thought you'd be saying DS was missing the thrill rides! Portofino looks so lovely and that's a really great rate. We haven't stayed onsite at Universal before, I've always thought I liked Hard Rock the best but it's a bit generic isn't it!? Portofino is more comparable to Disney theming.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I bet you never thought you'd be saying DS was missing the thrill rides! Portofino looks so lovely and that's a really great rate. We haven't stayed onsite at Universal before, I've always thought I liked Hard Rock the best but it's a bit generic isn't it!? Portofino is more comparable to Disney theming.
Never thought I'd see the day!

I really like all 3 of the Express Pass Hotels. Portofino reminds me of the boardwalk resorts. Hard Rock I love, it sits with the Contemporary for me, modern, sleek and amazingly located - it just lacks the views. RPR is Poly themed but not on par - the first year we stayed at RPR we were at the Poly and had a night at Universal in the middle of our stay so I really didn't like RPR. We've been back there twice since though and I've grown to love it -its more chilled than I found the Poly and the price tag is way way less.

I think you'd like the Universal hotels, especially with the express pass.
Old 1 Sep 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tory79
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think I have the same bumbag as you 😂 a Kipling multiple with a purpley Epcot type pattern?
Old 1 Sep 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by tory79 View Post
I think I have the same bumbag as you 😂 a Kipling multiple with a purpley Epcot type pattern?
That's the one, ideal for Universal as you can wear it on all the rides except for Hulk and Rip Ride.
Old 2 Sep 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Kezza632
Earning More Ears

Mobile

Love the purse !
Kezza632 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We had the barbershop singers for the Jimmy Fallon ride when we were there in August so I guess we were lucky? We've not seen them before, but the last time we were at universal was in 2017 and Jimmy Fallon had just opened, I think we did it twice that year though as that was when we did our split stay with NYC before Orlando and we loved the ride as it brought back memories. Actually I still love it, I know it's not to everyone's taste but I think it's great fun.

I love the Hulk photos too and your advice, but we've talked about Hulk loads of times so figured it focus on something else.

I hope you've had a good week I'm shattered! Enjoying a gin and tonic tonight though, I think a second is on the cards!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by Kezza632 View Post
Love the purse !
Thanks, it's been well admired at home.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
We had the barbershop singers for the Jimmy Fallon ride when we were there in August so I guess we were lucky? We've not seen them before, but the last time we were at universal was in 2017 and Jimmy Fallon had just opened, I think we did it twice that year though as that was when we did our split stay with NYC before Orlando and we loved the ride as it brought back memories. Actually I still love it, I know it's not to everyone's taste but I think it's great fun.

I love the Hulk photos too and your advice, but we've talked about Hulk loads of times so figured it focus on something else.

I hope you've had a good week I'm shattered! Enjoying a gin and tonic tonight though, I think a second is on the cards!
Good to know they are still there, we didn't see them at Easter or in the summer. I really like the ride too, Fast and Furious, however, is another matter altogether.

Love the Hulk.

Hope you have a restful weekend, being back in reality is hard work.
Old 8 Sep 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
How lovely for your son to have more time at Universal

Joan
Old 10 Sep 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Another great day, Portofino looks beautiful. It seems like a fairly relaxed day although you did loads. Cheese & crackers to end the day... perfect

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List