Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jul 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Only thinking of another dog...

Since losing my beautiful Mr. Douglas I am still thinking about maybe another dog. I would like to get another disabled dog, but hubby keeps telling me, it wont be Douglas. He was the most loving dog I have ever had, in all my life of being a dog owner. Every day, I break down and on Monday I was so bad crying all day, I sat on the sofa at 9 am and never moved till 10 in the evening, crying and just heartbroken. He really was so wonderful and wanted to be so close the whole of his life.

Now we are not really talking about another dog yet. Myrtle is wonderful and so is Nala but they are really dogs, nothing wrong with that, but Doug was a little baby, he needed you for everything and loved to be as near as he possibly could.

Now, I love Bullies but am just wondering as selfish as I am I know... is there a breed out there that is so loving as he was.
I have days where I think of a staffy, or a Frenchie but just would like to know what breeds people have if they are very loving and want to be with you all the time. I desperately need that and have the love to give.

We do have two and it is still early days, but I do keep my ears open and will only rescue as I don't believe in breeding.

Any breeds you think could be suited to me. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
So sad feeling that way, until you've owned and loved a pet it is difficult for people to understand the pain of losing one.

I have not had a dog for years as the timing has not been right for us, I did a lot of research in breeds that were super friendly and enjoy human company and it came down to either a Cavapoo or a Cockapoo for us, though I was unable to find one over the past 3 months that wasn't for sale at a hugely inflated price, so now I have my Maui, he is a Cockerpoo, Cocker Spaniel cross so pretty much a Cockapoo I think (?) but at a fraction of the cost as he was from an unplanned litter from two family pets.

Obviously I cannot comment if he is going to want to be by my side all of time (at the moment he does!) but every owner I have spoken to have said they are very affectionate and just want to be around you so might be a good option if you are unable to adopt a disabled one?
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My first dog was a British bulldog, molly. She was so soft, so clumsy and so loveable! She literally insisted on plonking herself on me all the time.
I went on to have another two bulldogs (boys) who were the same. Soft, loveable and clumsy.
The main issue with British bulldogs are their health as they can come with baggage. One of my boys, Oscar, had to have his tail/stump removed, his eyelashes burned off and his folds gently cleaned and creamed everyday due to skin allergies. Our vet did say that white bulldogs are prone to more skin problems.

We now have a maltese & lhasa cross, she is adorable and loveable and very well behaved.
Each of my dogs have been incredibly loveable and soft to be honest, probably because I baby them. I treat them more like a baby/child than a dog 🐶
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I would love a rescue Staffie and the ones I’ve met have been so loving.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
My first dog was a British bulldog, molly. She was so soft, so clumsy and so loveable! She literally insisted on plonking herself on me all the time.
I went on to have another two bulldogs (boys) who were the same. Soft, loveable and clumsy.
The main issue with British bulldogs are their health as they can come with baggage. One of my boys, Oscar, had to have his tail/stump removed, his eyelashes burned off and his folds gently cleaned and creamed everyday due to skin allergies. Our vet did say that white bulldogs are prone to more skin problems.

We now have a maltese & lhasa cross, she is adorable and loveable and very well behaved.
Each of my dogs have been incredibly loveable and soft to be honest, probably because I baby them. I treat them more like a baby/child than a dog 🐶
This is not Oscar but looks just like him
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
This is not Oscar but looks just like him
Oh my lord, let me at him. The bullie breeds are my dogs.

I know that Bull Dogs and Frenchies come with problems, that is a little worry. However the right dog... who cares.

I hope my Mr. Douglas is up there finding me our new baby to love. But how I wish it was him. xxxx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My lab is a big baby, really worried when september arrives and we all return, so much so i am allowing my in laws to return (they are in their 80s so ive wanted them kept safe) and letting them take both dogs out for a few hours a day. They ususally work around my eldest's college hours. She is going to be lost without us, especially me. My kids said she was moserable when i returned to work for a few hours for last 3 weeks of term. I would love a staffie as well.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 20, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
Oh my lord, let me at him. The bullie breeds are my dogs.

I know that Bull Dogs and Frenchies come with problems, that is a little worry. However the right dog... who cares.

I hope my Mr. Douglas is up there finding me our new baby to love. But how I wish it was him. xxxx
If you want a dopey, clumsy, loveable teddy bear of a dog and you can commit to their health, which you obviously do then British bulldogs are just amazing. My first dog Molly was the spits of this picture, she used to melt my heart 💖
Old 29 Jul 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

We did a lot of research on breeds for our Dd who has ASD. She suffers with nightmares and anxiety and wanted a dog who would be with her always and sleep with her.

We got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, although they can have breed specific health issues the temperament is ideal, they are a companion dog and really do need to be with you.

She has been the most fantastic addition to our family and is so loving but she does have a cheeky attitude too. There are always lots needing rehoming on Cavalier Rescue if this is something you’re interested in.

Here’s Lottie.

Old 29 Jul 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
My lab is a big baby, really worried when september arrives and we all return, so much so i am allowing my in laws to return (they are in their 80s so ive wanted them kept safe) and letting them take both dogs out for a few hours a day. They ususally work around my eldest's college hours. She is going to be lost without us, especially me. My kids said she was moserable when i returned to work for a few hours for last 3 weeks of term. I would love a staffie as well.
My lab is my child as well. He just wants to be around us, sleeping on us etc all the time. He even wants to come with us in the car everywhere, even if just to fill up, nip to the supermarket etc (obviously only on cold days)
He thinks he’s a lapdog 😂