Notices

View Poll Results: do you like sausage rolls? (these can be meat, veggie or even vegan, its not just about pork!)
yes, i love them and am always searching for a great source of them 48 22.33%
yes, i will eat the occasional one 125 58.14%
meh... they are ok i suppose 22 10.23%
no, i dont like pork wrapped in pastry, its an abomination 4 1.86%
no, even vegan ones are horrible 6 2.79%
i have allergies/etc so cant really eat them 2 0.93%
other (please comment) 8 3.72%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Dec 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

do you like sausage rolls, if so, what sort?

mods - please keep this thread in general chat if possible, at least for the first day or two of it being around, i want to make sure it gets seen/answered by as many people as possible!

...i'm doing a bit of market research into an idea i had whilst i couldnt sleep last night, and wanted to start with a nice simple question...

i dont know about you, but to me, there are two types of sausage roll out there. "normal" (ie greggs style basic ones) and "gourmet". both of which are completely valid choices

are there people who DONT like sausage rolls? if so, is that reason just because you've not had a great one yet?

do you wish there was a way of finding the best sausage roll in an unfamiliar town, or even in your own town? are you tired of being disappointed by visits to local bakeries/pubs/etc when you buy one and its not even as good as a greggs one (and twice the price)?

vote on the above, and also comment with your favourite type (and where you buy it from)

so yeah, let us know!

Edited at 11:37 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Local butchers generally the best.
Outside of this greggs will get a shout although not sure how much meat involved.
M & S have a couple of different types that are very good
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

M and S Pulled Pork sausage Rolls - Perfection.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

personally, my favourites are the huge chunky ones, and my fouvourite sources before lockdown with the picnic basket cafe and six barrels pub in nottingham, although beedhams butchers in sherwood is also a damn fine one...

and yes, i like the basic ones too, i'll always get one from greggs if im visiting (maybe once a month pre-lockdown?), and regularly buy similar ones from the local cob shop/bakery down the road

but my heart goes to the gourmet style ones. i even try making them myself, but havent cracked it yet. heres one i made with onion and black pudding in the mix and some cajun spices...

Edited at 12:03 PM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Love sausage rolls. Donald Russell ones are the best in the world. Arrive uncooked and frozen - best eaten 5 minutes out of the oven. Also fond of a Greggs now and again
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

The best Sausage Roll I’ve had, are the ones from Stanforth Butchers in Skipton. They’re the chunky ones, stuffed with filling and very flavourful.

I’m a Veggie now, unfortunately the veggie ones do not compare. I no longer shop at Gregg’s, so if I fancy a Sausage Roll it’s the Aldi Vegan ones I get. They’re not too bad.
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I am very fussy on meat and I like to know what I am eating. I hate to think what parts of the animal are put into sausage meat. I don’t eat sausages or sausage rolls.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Yes, I bake my own, they are amazing.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Love sausage rolls. Donald Russell ones are the best in the world. Arrive uncooked and frozen - best eaten 5 minutes out of the oven. Also fond of a Greggs now and again
these?

donaldrussell/artisa...age-rolls.html

will order some soon, need to choose some other stuff to get the order over £40, otherwise its a fiver delivery, which is a little overkill for 8 sausage rolls

but yeah, thats the sort of thing im really talking about... i want to locate ones like these easily, so wherever i am in the country, i can find a place that makes ones like this i can nip in and buy some!
Old 2 Dec 20, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

The Ginger Pig have the best ones for me - plus their Scotch Eggs are perfection (but I guess now will be as rare as hen teeth as pubs are ordering them to be delivered so they can sell a pint ! ) - I have yet to fine a supermarket one I like
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List