Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Oct 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Fibroadenomas

Does anyone suffer with these? And if so, do they cause you pain?

I’ve had them since I was 18 (some removed).

Periodically (every couple of years) I end up at the breast clinic because I’m in pain and it’s usually yet another fibroadenoma. Just returned from the breast clinic and it’s the same story. Pain in my left breast and a new fibroadenoma to add to the collection.

The consultant always tell me they don’t hurt though. But clearly they hurt me as that’s why I end up at the breast clinic. 🙈

So if you do have them and they hurt, what do you do to manage the pain?

Thank you.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Ryles
Imagineer

I had one a few years back. Mine definitely didn’t hurt. I was given the option of leaving it and see what happens or have it removed. I chose to have it removed.
Old 22 Oct 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ryles View Post
I had one a few years back. Mine definitely didn’t hurt. I was given the option of leaving it and see what happens or have it removed. I chose to have it removed.
Thanks for your response. In the ‘old’ days, they removed them but they don’t routinely do it now - unless they’re over a certain size.
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I’ve never met anyone else with one so nice to hear I’m not alone. I’m waiting for a 4cm one to be removed, had it for about 10 years but it has recently grown so now on wait list. I wouldn’t say it hurts on its own but it does if gets knocked squashed type of thing. I don’t do anything. I do make sure I wearing a good bra, prefer sports ones although only an average 36c. I’m also post menopause so maybe that’s why. One thing I did notice though is that while pre menopause I found evening primrose oil helped with breast pain, now it actually makes it worse so I don’t take anything now. Just a thought are you on the pill etc or it could just be where they are and pressing on nerves, so would be different for everyone🥴

Hope you find something that helps soon c
Old 22 Oct 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
I’ve never met anyone else with one so nice to hear I’m not alone. I’m waiting for a 4cm one to be removed, had it for about 10 years but it has recently grown so now on wait list. I wouldn’t say it hurts on its own but it does if gets knocked squashed type of thing. I don’t do anything. I do make sure I wearing a good bra, prefer sports ones although only an average 36c. I’m also post menopause so maybe that’s why. One thing I did notice though is that while pre menopause I found evening primrose oil helped with breast pain, now it actually makes it worse so I don’t take anything now. Just a thought are you on the pill etc or it could just be where they are and pressing on nerves, so would be different for everyone🥴

Hope you find something that helps soon c
Thanks for sharing. I did wonder if I was peri or pre menopausal (or whatever it’s called) as breast pain was listed as a symptom. However, doctor says not. I stopped taking the pill after I was diagnosed with my first one when I was 18 as I was worried that was the cause. Currently, been taking evening primrose oil for about 5 weeks and yet to notice any difference. ☹️ The pain is usually not unbearable just constant. It’s like having a permanent toothache but in my breast.
Old 23 Oct 21, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

I have had quite a large one for about 6 years. I was offered removal but it would leave quite a scar so I chose to leave it be. It used to be really painful for about a week before my period, the pain would wake me up if I rolled over to that side but now I am peri-menopausal it very rarely gives me any pain. I used to take evening primrose to help.
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 21, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs Toolman View Post
I have had quite a large one for about 6 years. I was offered removal but it would leave quite a scar so I chose to leave it be. It used to be really painful for about a week before my period, the pain would wake me up if I rolled over to that side but now I am peri-menopausal it very rarely gives me any pain. I used to take evening primrose to help.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I do tend to lay on my left side where they are and they do hurt when I lay on them. Good to know the pain has eased. Hopefully, will for me also.👍🏻
Old 25 Jan 22, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Does anyone suffer with these? And if so, do they cause you pain?

I’ve had them since I was 18 (some removed).

Periodically (every couple of years) I end up at the breast clinic because I’m in pain and it’s usually yet another fibroadenoma. Just returned from the breast clinic and it’s the same story. Pain in my left breast and a new fibroadenoma to add to the collection.

The consultant always tell me they don’t hurt though. But clearly they hurt me as that’s why I end up at the breast clinic. 🙈

So if you do have them and they hurt, what do you do to manage the pain?

Thank you.
Hi have you got any further with something to help?

Originally Posted by Ryles View Post
I've now had ultrasound and mammogram and dr's are arguing over whether it needs a biopsy before removing it Got another appointment in 10 days by which time I hope they will have reached a decision!
Old 25 Jan 22, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Hi have you got any further with something to help?

I've now had ultrasound and mammogram and dr's are arguing over whether it needs a biopsy before removing it Got another appointment in 10 days by which time I hope they will have reached a decision!
Hi,

Funnily enough, they settled down. I find that they flare up and I get pain for a few months and they settle down and cause me no bother. I definitely think mine are affected by stress. I was under immense stress at the time which has since reduced somewhat. I just wish the breast consultant would accept that when I tell them they hurt, they believe me. Why would I chuffing well make it up? 🤷🏼🤦🏼

I’m surprised they didn’t give you a biopsy there and then? I think they must be pretty certain that it’s a fibroadenoma if they are debating whether to give you one. I’ve never had a biopsy on a fibroadenoma before and I’ve had plenty of fibroadenomas. So I wouldn’t be overly concerned. The biopsy I did have was for calcification.

Good luck in ten days. Please update and let us know how you got on. X
Old 4 Feb 22, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Hi,

Funnily enough, they settled down. I find that they flare up and I get pain for a few months and they settle down and cause me no bother. I definitely think mine are affected by stress. I was under immense stress at the time which has since reduced somewhat. I just wish the breast consultant would accept that when I tell them they hurt, they believe me. Why would I chuffing well make it up? 🤷🏼🤦🏼

I’m surprised they didn’t give you a biopsy there and then? I think they must be pretty certain that it’s a fibroadenoma if they are debating whether to give you one. I’ve never had a biopsy on a fibroadenoma before and I’ve had plenty of fibroadenomas. So I wouldn’t be overly concerned. The biopsy I did have was for calcification.

Good luck in ten days. Please update and let us know how you got on. X
Glad you are feeling better. I’ve just had core biopsy and some cysts aspirated. They are saying that it does not have a typical fibroadenoma look anymore as it has areas of calcification and cysts on its surface. However it also doesn’t look typically nasty as is mobile, no attachments and is very tense and tough. Very nice radiologist who really filled me up with local so didn’t feel anything although now feel like I’ve been kicked by a horse! I get the results next week so probably a sleepless week😢