Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
#1
2point
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Aug 04
Another Proud Dad (and Mum) Moment

Our daughter is currently half way through her Masters degree (Biomedical Science) after passing her BSc through lockdown.

Over the years she's gained confidence in her abilities and is slowly starting to overcome some of the anxiety and fear she has around exams, presentations and 'big events'.

She applied for a number of placement opportunities one of which was her dream placement. She was emailing the Dr. who was offering the position and as he was so busy he asked if she could be available for interview in the next 20 minutes.

That really put her on the spot, she accepted the interview and spent those 20 minutes doing all the prep she could. She absolutely nailed the interview and was offered the position there and then. She was the only one to offered a position this early in the process, the Dr. was impressed with her passion for the research, her approach, her personal presentation skills and her ability to ask relevant questions during the interview.

So very proud of her, we're busting at the seams. The research she is going to be doing is cancer genome sequencing related and is scheduled to be a published piece of research which she will be credited with. There is the opportunity for the research role to open up as a funded Phd one too, which would be something she is really interested in.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
#2
Floridatilly
Imagineer
 
Floridatilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 13
Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Our daughter is currently half way through her Masters degree (Biomedical Science) after passing her BSc through lockdown.

Over the years she's gained confidence in her abilities and is slowly starting to overcome some of the anxiety and fear she has around exams, presentations and 'big events'.

She applied for a number of placement opportunities one of which was her dream placement. She was emailing the Dr. who was offering the position and as he was so busy he asked if she could be available for interview in the next 20 minutes.

That really put her on the spot, she accepted the interview and spent those 20 minutes doing all the prep she could. She absolutely nailed the interview and was offered the position there and then. She was the only one to offered a position this early in the process, the Dr. was impressed with her passion for the research, her approach, her personal presentation skills and her ability to ask relevant questions during the interview.

So very proud of her, we're busting at the seams. The research she is going to be doing is cancer genome sequencing related and is scheduled to be a published piece of research which she will be credited with. There is the opportunity for the research role to open up as a funded Phd one too, which would be something she is really interested in.
Thats amazing! No wonder you are proud! X x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
#3
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer
 
Mr Tom Morrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14
Location: The Tiki Room.

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Well done to her. You are absolutely right to be so proud. She sounds like an excellent Lady who will make a difference in her chosen field. Congratulations to the whole Family.
__________________

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
#4
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer
 
MrsEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Amazing, huge congratulations to your daughter what a fantastic achievement.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
#5
Macca04
Imagineer
 
Macca04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 15
Well done to her, you’re quite right to be very proud.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
#6
marypoppins38
Imagineer
 
marypoppins38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10
Fantastic, you have every right to be proud. The work she will doing really could change peoples lives and that is amazing.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
#7
2point
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Aug 04
We had a laugh yesterday. During her degree the projects are handed out at random, she missed out on some of the interesting ones. Hers was to study the effects of environmental pollution on the DNA of bacteria in dirt.

She had to collect vials of dirt from the front garden and the back garden to see the difference in the possible effects.

She's come a long way from dirt!
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 11:08 AM  
Link to this Post
#8
Wismgari
Imagineer
 
Wismgari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 15
Huge congratulations to your daughter! As a researcher at a university (in a very different field!) I know how important that networking is and she sounds like she has now made some amazing connections very early in her career, which will help her out a lot.
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
#9
2point
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
Join Date: Aug 04
Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Huge congratulations to your daughter! As a researcher at a university (in a very different field!) I know how important that networking is and she sounds like she has now made some amazing connections very early in her career, which will help her out a lot.
Thank you.

She's excited that she'll be working with a couple of other researchers, one in Canada and one in Switzerland. Seeing her opportunities grow on the back of her hard work is a privilege to be be part of.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
#10
marypoppins38
Imagineer
 
marypoppins38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10
Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We had a laugh yesterday. During her degree the projects are handed out at random, she missed out on some of the interesting ones. Hers was to study the effects of environmental pollution on the DNA of bacteria in dirt.

She had to collect vials of dirt from the front garden and the back garden to see the difference in the possible effects.

She's come a long way from dirt!
DD's project is on feline coronavirus. Her reply was 'I can't get away from the bloody thing!'
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in MVMCP
On 24th June 2:42pm
Holiday joy will unfold at Magic Kingdom as Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party returns this... Read More »
Posted in Seaworld
On 4th June 9:51am
SeaWorld say there is a high surf advisory on the horizon in 2023 as a... Read More »
Posted in MNSSHP
On 28th April 4:17pm
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is returning to Magic Kingdom Park this fall during the resort’s 50th Anniversary... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.1842
CaxtonFX  $1.1881
Covent Garden FX  $1.2024
FAIRFX  $1.1934
John Lewis  $1.1847
M&S  $1.1650
Post Office  $1.1634
Sainsburys  $1.1818
TESCO  $1.1860
Travelex  $1.1769
Updated: 06:30 11/08/2022
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1604
CaxtonFX  €1.1562
Covent Garden FX  €1.1689
FAIRFX  €1.1595
John Lewis  €1.1602
M&S  €1.1408
Post Office  €1.1393
Sainsburys  €1.1575
TESCO  €1.1616
Travelex  €1.1526
Updated: 06:30 11/08/2022

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X