Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 21, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Update page 5 Forced reading while book flat

am just after some advice really. My 15 year old daughter wears glasses and finds reading a book easy if she can hold her book to suit her needs.

The school she attends became part of a Trust around 15 months ago. They have reading in tutor time where the teacher reads to the student but the book must be flat using a reading ruler. The ruler is not see-through.

I queried it after my daughter said she struggles to read that way and the school agreed just over a year ago that she could hold her book.

This changed last week they have decided she either has book flat with a ruler or they implement A3 easel for her to put a book on. I do not want that for her as she gets anxiety and is already stressed at the idea she will stand out in class and look extremely different to everyone else. I simply want her to be able to hold her book.

I have spoken to my daughters optician before they came up with the easel suggestion and she stated that holding a book is the best way for my daughter to read as one of her eyes over compensates the other and it’s best for her to move the book at correct angle to suit her needs.

I know this is long winded but I feel strongly that I need to fight this simple issue for my daughter but do not know what rights I have in trying to get common sense to prevail and allow her to hold the book during tutor time.

I appreciate that some might think we should accept the easel option but it really would stress my daughter too much she even said she would prefer to fake read with the book flat than this option.

Any advice welcome.

Edited at 04:04 PM.
Sunnydays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Does talking to staff about her behaviour record help. I'm guessing the reasoning behind the rule is that kids were messing behind stood up books. So countering that with 'reasonable adjustments for sight disability ' and her great behaviour record. May help?

I had a sock issue years ago, which was resolved when once I had asked about their reasons for a rule.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Does talking to staff about her behaviour record help. I'm guessing the reasoning behind the rule is that kids were messing behind stood up books. So countering that with 'reasonable adjustments for sight disability ' and her great behaviour record. May help?

I had a sock issue years ago, which was resolved when once I had asked about their reasons for a rule.
Yes luckily my daughter does have a great record and has also achieved plenty of extra curricular accolades as well.

They do have sock rules as well and line up, uniform checks etc…. No issue with them really just being able to hold a book like most people. I do not really believe this is a SENCO issue but suppose calling it a sight disability they may feel it is one.

Thank you for the advice.
Sunnydays is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

What an odd problem ?

I would request a meeting with the head.

If the rule is to stop bad behaviour in class then I would suggest that they need to recruit a better standard of staff who are able to manage behaviour rather than implement a silly rule.

Now when I had calmed down I would ask for a chat with the SEN and discuss your daughters needs.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sunnydays
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
What an odd problem ?

I would request a meeting with the head.

If the rule is to stop bad behaviour in class then I would suggest that they need to recruit a better standard of staff who are able to manage behaviour rather than implement a silly rule.

Now when I had calmed down I would ask for a chat with the SEN and discuss your daughters needs.
The email to me regarding the easel was from the head! I have no faith in the head unfortunately so prefer my contact with her to be in writing as they have already back tracked on arrangement saying my daughter could hold her book.

I honestly find it hard to believe they are spending so much time on this silly issue when the resolution is just being able to hold her book like she has since primary school.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 13 Nov 21, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
I am just after some advice really. My 15 year old daughter wears glasses and finds reading a book easy if she can hold her book to suit her needs.

The school she attends became part of a Trust around 15 months ago. They have reading in tutor time where the teacher reads to the student but the book must be flat using a reading ruler. The ruler is not see-through.

I queried it after my daughter said she struggles to read that way and the school agreed just over a year ago that she could hold her book.

This changed last week they have decided she either has book flat with a ruler or they implement A3 easel for her to put a book on. I do not want that for her as she gets anxiety and is already stressed at the idea she will stand out in class and look extremely different to everyone else. I simply want her to be able to hold her book.

I have spoken to my daughters optician before they came up with the easel suggestion and she stated that holding a book is the best way for my daughter to read as one of her eyes over compensates the other and it’s best for her to move the book at correct angle to suit her needs.

I know this is long winded but I feel strongly that I need to fight this simple issue for my daughter but do not know what rights I have in trying to get common sense to prevail and allow her to hold the book during tutor time.

I appreciate that some might think we should accept the easel option but it really would stress my daughter too much she even said she would prefer to fake read with the book flat than this option.

Any advice welcome.
Hi there this sounds very much like a problem I had over 50 years ago I could see the book if it was in front of me but if it was on the table then it seemed like the letters where jumbled I know a bit different from your DD my mum took me to the options note here I had already had 2 ops over 4 years who said that I should be comfortable when reading I had been going to the options from as long as I can remember my mum asked if they could write to my headmaster and explain they said yes they all so said asked your doctor to do the same so that what she did a couple of weeks later I was told I could hold a book in front of me the school said when learning to read it should be fun and not a pain
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I wear glasses and I can not read a book whilst it is flat, because the words at the top of the page are further away than the bottom my eyes can’t adjust. If the book has glossy pages it glares with my glasses too.
So I fully understand your daughters issues. What age is your daughter?
I imagine the school want an easel because she can still use a ruler and the ruler is so that the teacher can see the children following / reading the book?
Personally I don’t think reading a book flat is ideal for any child and I would suggest that an easel is offered to the whole class so that your daughter is not feeling ‘different’ I would also hate to be the only one in a class using an easel.
If your daughter is quite young I would imagine this would cause disruption because the teacher will get a lot of other children requesting the use of an easel too.
Sorry, I don’t have any answers or solutions but I certainly understand and sympathise x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Mpet
Very Serious Dibber

I know it’s been a while since I was at school, but is it just me who thinks it’s odd to expect 15 year olds to follow a teacher reading with a ruler in their own book.

I think I would make it clear to the school (supported by doctor/ opticians note if possible), that my daughter cannot read with a book flat (due to medical reasons) also using an easel does not allow her to adjust the book to suit her vision.
Mpet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 21, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

This is absolutely insane ! Id feel anxious having to use an easel. She is reading the book how does it matter how she does it? Talk about a school creating new world problems after the two awful years the kids have had with their schooling. Hope you get it sorted. I think holding the book could be considered a reasonable adjustment for your daughters eye issues and mental health and Id be mentioning disability discrimination.
Old 13 Nov 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It’s a bizarre rule to implement at this age . I’ve worked in high schools in the classroom and never come across it . It does sound like there are discipline issues in the school. Is this just one subject or across the board ?
Have you got input from the SENCO ? I’d be putting this very firmly in their realm as it’s a physical issue with discriminatory implications .

Edited at 12:14 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List