Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Accommodation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info
Unread 11 Jan 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by sandslash View Post
Why wouldn't you do the dining?

This is what I was referring to by the Disney experience. This has really helped me, so thank you!

Right, this stuff sounds important. Are these chargeable/not possible if you stay elsewhere then?

I really need to understand the value of booking in advance and gettnig free dining. At the hotels i'll be able to afford, I think you only get free breakfast so I'd need to consider both that, and the fact that for easy eating, i'd be basically forced to go to the Hotel's restaurants. I've had a look at the menu and they're not TOO badly priced, but do like going to Chilis etc
OK, you might want to price up the cost of going to a moderate over the value resorts if they offer free dining again. When we went last time (a fair few years ago) the price difference between All Stars and POFQ wasn't that great when I factored in the extra food. YMMV.

Magic bands can be purchased if staying offsite. Extra magic hours are for onsite guests only. Fast Passes are available for all BUT if you stay onsite you can book them 60 days in advance of your check in day for your whole stay (up to 14 days) whereas if you stay offsite you can only book them 30 days in advance of each particular day of your holiday - so there will be less choice. None of these things are cheargeable for onsite guests. Only bands are chargeable to offsite guests

Edited at 05:00 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Post GCSE De-Stressing Trip!
Unread 11 Jan 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Excited about Disney

Disney Planning's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The 192 is not far from the All Stars resorts so I would think that an Uber to somewhere like Ale House, Longhorns etc wouldn't be too expensive for a couple of nights.
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Apprentice Imagineer

I am American so the special offers are different. I find it much cheaper to get a good hotel discount , say 30%, and pay out of pocket for food. Disney meals tend to be large and I would never eat a whole meal so would either share or waste a lot of food. I also tend not to eat snacks and when I do it's a piece of fruit from the supermarket.

I also tend not to spend as long in Florida as international visitors so for me, passing dining works.

I know there are some calculators on some American sites that help you figure out whether a dining plan saves you money. For me, it would not, for someone with a larger appetite or less of an aversion to wasting food, it might be better.

Edited at 02:56 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

This is what I was referring to by the Disney experience. This has really helped me, so thank you!

Right, this stuff sounds important. Are these chargeable/not possible if you stay elsewhere then?

I really need to understand the value of booking in advance and gettnig free dining. At the hotels i'll be able to afford, I think you only get free breakfast so I'd need to consider both that, and the fact that for easy eating, i'd be basically forced to go to the Hotel's restaurants. I've had a look at the menu and they're not TOO badly priced, but do like going to Chilis etc
You can use the free credits at any of the Disney quick serve restaurants, not just at the hotel.
macadoo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Finally staying at Caribbean Beach
Unread 11 Jan 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
You can use the free credits at any of the Disney quick serve restaurants, not just at the hotel.
The free breakfast is also actually a free quick service credit that can be used for any meal, so you get much better value using it for lunch or dinner. There are loads of QS places to eat too that offer a good variety. I wrote a quick service food report during our last trip that you might find a useful read - the link is in blue at the bottom of my signature

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip 29th March - 12th April 2017
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana!
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Taking a break and booked CBR for 2019
Unread 11 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Id echo what someone said above about if you can book with free dining a moderate can suddenly become more reasonable. When we booked this year we had no firm plans and were talking about going at Halloween and I checked the prices and for Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach Resort it was less than 100 more overall to go there with QSDP than it was for AOA with free breakfast so it was a no brainer to go for that.

This will be our first onsite trip and what swung it for us was:

QSDP being free - we spent lots on food and drink last time and this is supposed to be more of a budget trip than last time.

We are only going for 10 days and just doing Disney. Being onsite means we can enjoy the convenience of being onsite and maximise our time. Last time we spent too much time driving between and had to do full park days.

Magical Express - we knew we didnt want to drive at all this time so free transport from the airport is a plus!

EMH - again maximising our time.

Early fast passes. Last time we missed FOP and 7 dwarves due to being offsite and getting to book at 30 days.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coronado Springs! A Disney only break!
Unread 11 Jan 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thats correct.

Extra Magic Hours are not available to offsite guests; only people staying at Disney hotels get extra hours in the parks.

Free MagicBands can be bought separately. The plain coloured ones, like the ones you get when staying onsite, cost $15 each.

Only onsite guests are able to charge things to their room (obviously).

Only onsite guests can use the Magical Express bus to go to/from the airport.

And onsite guests staying at a Disney hotel get to book their fastpasses from 60 days before their check-in day. Whereas offsite people can only book theirs from 30 days beforehand.

Some of the benefits are minor (charging to your room is handy but doesnt actually add anything extra).
DLC: Jun 95 - Holiday Inn // WDW: Dec 97 - Gateway Inn | Feb 00 - Gateway Inn | Mar 01 - Best Western | Feb 06 - Embassy Suites | Oct 10 - Hawthorn Suites | May 12 - Homewood Suites | Aug 14 - CBR&Doubletree | Apr 16 - Caribbean Beach // DLP: Aug 13 - Sequoia Lodge

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Nimbus is a DIBBcast Disney Podcast Fan
Unread 12 Jan 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
pad406
I am going home...

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
That's not quite right. Bookings made through UK agents get free parking until the end of 2019. After that parking charges will apply. Bookings made through US agents have parking charges applied now.
Surprisingly we were not charged parking although we had booked through a US agent. They never even asked had we a car. Maybe it was the accents, the home address or simply a mistake, but no charge applied. I had planned to argue with them if it came up, as the website simply says residents of UK&IE, but I didn't have to

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Another Disney Christmas !