Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 8 Jan 19, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Another vote for on-site, always.

There's actually a trip planning website dealing with first visits that recommends people with kids stay at a value over a moderate, because the values are much more Disney themed than the moderates. Think huge statues and figures, fun photo opportunities scattered throughout the resort, all with lots of kid appeal. So basically, I think most kids would love staying at a value resort due to the massive amounts of very apparent theming at these resorts.

Oh for on site - the convenience of being on site can't be beat, especially given how big WDW is. I love how they have buses running throughout the day. The Magical Express to and from MCO is really convenient. The CMs are great. I can send all my purchases back to my resort without having to carry them around with me. I love being able to charge everything to my Magic Band and not having to fiddle with American money and trying to remember that a dime is smaller than a nickel. And the fact that all I need when I leave my hotel room is my Magic Band since it has my room key, park tickets, fastpasses, and a means of payment on it!

My preferred on site resort is Pop, which is a value resort that has been recently refurbished. Pop and AoA will also get a new gondola system later this year connecting them to DHS and Epcot.
Old 11 Jan 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sandslash
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I am American so wouldn't do dining, free or otherwise.
Why wouldn't you do the dining?

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
There are also little things that make they stay very special for little ones-getting a sticker, balloon or pin from a cast member, Watching cartoons in the lobby. And turning a corner to see a statue of a favorite character.
This is what I was referring to by the Disney experience. This has really helped me, so thank you!

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post

There are other bonuses as well. Extra Magic Hours. Free MagicBands. Earlier fastpass booking.
Right, this stuff sounds important. Are these chargeable/not possible if you stay elsewhere then?

I really need to understand the value of booking in advance and gettnig free dining. At the hotels i'll be able to afford, I think you only get free breakfast so I'd need to consider both that, and the fact that for easy eating, i'd be basically forced to go to the Hotel's restaurants. I've had a look at the menu and they're not TOO badly priced, but do like going to Chilis etc
sandslash is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

I think it's subjective. The value for me is the location and transportation thats available. The hours I've wasted driving in the years I've been going to Florida must be ridiculous. Staying on site is the only way for us now, so much so that we've bought into DVC. So in answer to your question, I do think that Disney hotels are worth the money. You can obviously get much cheaper accommodation offsite but then you're likely to be paying extra for car hire or taxis to get around. Plus if you drive you then can't drink, I particularly like the luxury of being able to have a couple of cocktails with my meal and not having to worry about driving
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

YES - no question
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by sandslash View Post

This is what I was referring to by the Disney experience. This has really helped me, so thank you!

Right, this stuff sounds important. Are these chargeable/not possible if you stay elsewhere then?

I really need to understand the value of booking in advance and gettnig free dining. At the hotels i'll be able to afford, I think you only get free breakfast so I'd need to consider both that, and the fact that for easy eating, i'd be basically forced to go to the Hotel's restaurants. I've had a look at the menu and they're not TOO badly priced, but do like going to Chilis etc
OK, you might want to price up the cost of going to a moderate over the value resorts if they offer free dining again. When we went last time (a fair few years ago) the price difference between All Stars and POFQ wasn't that great when I factored in the extra food. YMMV.

Magic bands can be purchased if staying offsite. Extra magic hours are for onsite guests only. Fast Passes are available for all BUT if you stay onsite you can book them 60 days in advance of your check in day for your whole stay (up to 14 days) whereas if you stay offsite you can only book them 30 days in advance of each particular day of your holiday - so there will be less choice. None of these things are cheargeable for onsite guests. Only bands are chargeable to offsite guests

Edited at 05:00 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

The 192 is not far from the All Stars resorts so I would think that an Uber to somewhere like Ale House, Longhorns etc wouldn't be too expensive for a couple of nights.
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I am American so the special offers are different. I find it much cheaper to get a good hotel discount , say 30%, and pay out of pocket for food. Disney meals tend to be large and I would never eat a whole meal so would either share or waste a lot of food. I also tend not to eat snacks and when I do it's a piece of fruit from the supermarket.

I also tend not to spend as long in Florida as international visitors so for me, passing dining works.

I know there are some calculators on some American sites that help you figure out whether a dining plan saves you money. For me, it would not, for someone with a larger appetite or less of an aversion to wasting food, it might be better.

Edited at 02:56 AM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

You can use the free credits at any of the Disney quick serve restaurants, not just at the hotel.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by macadoo View Post
You can use the free credits at any of the Disney quick serve restaurants, not just at the hotel.
The free breakfast is also actually a free quick service credit that can be used for any meal, so you get much better value using it for lunch or dinner. There are loads of QS places to eat too that offer a good variety. I wrote a quick service food report during our last trip that you might find a useful read - the link is in blue at the bottom of my signature

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
nats1211
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’d echo what someone said above about if you can book with free dining a moderate can suddenly become more reasonable. When we booked this year we had no firm plans and were talking about going at Halloween and I checked the prices and for Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach Resort it was less than £100 more overall to go there with QSDP than it was for AOA with free breakfast so it was a no brainer to go for that.

This will be our first onsite trip and what swung it for us was:

QSDP being free - we spent lots on food and drink last time and this is supposed to be more of a budget trip than last time.

We are only going for 10 days and just doing Disney. Being onsite means we can enjoy the convenience of being onsite and maximise our time. Last time we spent too much time driving between and had to do full park days.

Magical Express - we knew we didn’t want to drive at all this time so free transport from the airport is a plus!

EMH - again maximising our time.

Early fast passes. Last time we missed FOP and 7 dwarves due to being offsite and getting to book at 30 days.
nats1211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List