Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 6 Oct 21, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindtnotlint
A Guest at All-Stars

Height of balcony at California Grill

Going with small kids and it’s ALL about getting a good fireworks view. Have seen pictures and it looks like metal bar/columns on the balcony. What’s the chance my 5 year old (size of a 4 year old) will be able to see over and if not how bad would looking through the bars be?

(Am i crazy to think about taking something for him to stand on... )
Lindtnotlint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
boo2
Imagineer

boo2's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It’s been a long time since we have been so I can’t 100% remember what it’s like but I’m sure your 5 year old would be able to see either by looking through the bars or by standing a little back. I definitely wouldn’t be letting them stand on anything up their and I’m sure your would be asked to take your child off whatever they are standing on. It’s very high!
Old 7 Oct 21, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have just looked at some photos of me and DH there and the railing comes up to about our elbows, so just a bit higher than waist level (we are both 5ft 8-9). It isn’t a sheer drop off on the other side, but standing a child on something nevertheless does not seem like a good idea to me.

The railings are normal railings with big gaps in, so easy to see through and additionally stepping back and looking up would solve the issue (if there were any).
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Don’t recommend taking something to stand on, doesn’t sound very safe and they may say you can’t use it but when we last went with dd she was able to look through the bars easily and we also held her for a bit.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Without meaning to sound sarcastic, fireworks are in the sky! You don't need to be on the edge of the balcony. We have seen them with young children from California Grill and, to be honest, after a couple of minutes they were over it and it was me wanting to watch the whole show.
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
SloanRangers
Excited about Disney

SloanRangers's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Definitely wouldn’t recommend standing on anything. We had dinner at California Grill many years ago and went to view the fireworks from the rooftop balcony that evening. I loved it and the view was fantastic but DH, who is not great with heights, was very nervous as it is very high and a bit windy up there as I recall.
Worth doing for a great view of the fireworks and I’m sure your son will enjoy them without needing to stand on anything.
2010- Port Orleans Riverside/ Royal Pacific
2013- Saratoga Springs/Portofino Bay
2015- Saratoga Springs/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2017 - Beach Club/Sandpearl/Hard Rock Hotel
2018 - Las Vegas and Florida East Coast
2019- Los Angeles and Las Vegas
SloanRangers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

When we went it wasn't crowded at all so you would be able to stand back and still have no one in front of you. Also it may be worthwhile seeing if they have a firework view table next to the window - no need to go outside then.
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindtnotlint
A Guest at All-Stars

On the “fireworks are in the sky” thing - genuine interested question: are you looking “down” on the fireworks from that height or “up”? I am curious now!
Lindtnotlint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindtnotlint View Post
On the “fireworks are in the sky” thing - genuine interested question: are you looking “down” on the fireworks from that height or “up”? I am curious now!
I'd say you are looking ahead as the Contemporary is a little way from where the fireworks are set off.
You definitely aren't looking down, or craning your neck to look upwards.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Lindtnotlint View Post
As Judy said, defo more across at them rather than up or down.

This video is from a 10th floor balcony at CR to give you an idea of what it's like. Cali Grill is on 15 but it's only 4 more floors up as there's no 13th

Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List