Old 15 Feb 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
You should go. Ds loved it. I’m sure your kids would really like it, total contrast to your New York trip other than the loads of walking and puddings😂
Haha, DS can find burgers, nuggets and pizza anywhere in the world he has a nose for it...oh and you're right he could sniff out a pudding at a 100 paces. I'm seriously considering Rome as I like to force feed my kids with Disney holidays and alternate this with culture they love that I can spend hours reading all the displays in a museum .

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

For a 3 night trip I had to pick and choose my culture carefully and insert lots of food to keep ds excited. We picked the colosseum tour for our main thing. He would have liked the Sistine Chapel but that could do next time,
I’m sure that Hotel we stayed in have a quadruple room with bunk beds. Doubt there would be a lot of spare space but it might be a good reasonable base for you,
Old 15 Feb 18, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Mobile

Day 2:
A quick breakfast in the hotel, cappuccino and pastries and the most delicious got chocolate for ds.
This was our Ancient Rome day. Bit of a rainy start but still better than Scottish weather at this time of year.

We started off at the mouth of truth. Ds even admitted he hadn’t brushed his teeth for fear of getting his hand bitten off.

We also discovered that the bones of st valentine are in this church.
We walked round by the Vittoria Emanuel, I actually like this building, I know many hate it,

down past the Roman Forum

and headed to the colosseum.
Old 15 Feb 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day 2 : continued.
We had booked a tour and our entrance tickets through coop culture which is the official website for the Colosseum. The tickets were 12 euros each and ds was free. You just have to pay 2euros each reservation fee. This helps you skip a massive line. You can’t pre print child tickets at home but we waited in line for the reservation desk for only about 5 minutes and the line for buying tickets was mental. So totally worth it,
When you get there the area is very hectic with fake gladiators, selfie stick sellers and people trying to sell you tours. You need to walk round a little towards the arch of Constantine to find the entrance.
They offer different tours and the one we did was the underground area and the colosseum itself for €11 each and again ds was free. There is also one that lets you up to the third ring but heights are not my thing.
It books up really fast.
This was amazing. The guide was an archaeologist and so enthusiastic.
You got to go into some of the restricted areas such as the stage and underground,

it lasted about 75 minutes but you could stay in the colosseum as long as you wanted. This was the highlight of the trip for ds.

Edited at 03:05 PM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day 2 continued.
After we headed for lunch to I Clementini , a wee place close to San Clemente. It looks tiny from the outside but don’t let that put you off.
We shared fried calamari and prawns and fried ricotta.

Ds and dh had parpadelle with octopus and cheese.

I had rigatoni amatriciana.

The food and wine here was really good and the staff were lovely. It was pretty full of Romans with only the odd tourist. A bit more pricey at €75 but worth it.
We then embarked on a crazy walk visiting San Clemente and San Giovanni in Laterano,

Dh took us on some crazy route which meant we walked 26k steps today...It was mad that the Scala Santa were having work done and there was a huge car advert on the front. I’m not religious but I thought that was a bit shocking. Surely they could have covered up the outside of the building more tastefully.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day 2 : continued.
By the time we got back to the hotel we were shattered and a bit grumpy, I’d obviously brought some unwanted classroom germs and had a really sore throat and the start of a cold.
We were later going out for dinner and headed to Tonnarello in Trastevere.
It was heaving with a large line outside but we got a table after about 10 minutes. I was still feeling grumpy and our waiter here was not the best, we waited ages for menus then he was back in 2 minutes to see if we’d decided...
The food here was good though.
Ds had a pizza with salmon and rocket and I had one with bresaola and rocket.

Both were good but more like flat breads.

Dh had carbonara which he really liked.

Dh had beer, Fanta for ds and just water for me. Told you I was feeling ill. it was about €40.

We finished off with another trip to the ice cream shop, Fata Morgana. Ds had hazelnut and coconut. I had strawberry and mango. Again amazing.

Edited at 03:36 PM.
Old 15 Feb 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day 3.
The sun was shining again today and we were all feeling refreshed.
Breakfast at the hotel, as soon as you came down stairs the lady checked we wanted our usual drinks, cappuccino for me and got chocolate for ds which he loved and tells me was amazingly creamy, hey ho we were on holiday and sugar would keep him going for a bit...

Then we stopped off at the market in Campo Fiori and bought fruit. Why is it that their fruit is so much nicer than the stuff you get here?

Onwards to Piazza Navona to see the fountains, the amount of guys around here selling stuff was really annoying. It was, however, glorious sunshine which keeps my grumpiness under control.

Ds spotted a wee toy shop just off here that had Harry Potter stuff so he bought himself a time turner.
We carried on along to Castel San Angelo.

As soon as you are on the bridge there you were accosted by guys selling selfie sticks or folk wanting you to do tours with them. This carried on right until you entered St Peters Square. Really annoying.
The line to get in the church was big, 2 hours according to the guys outside the square wanting you to book a tour, but it took less than 30 minutes.

Ds was very impressed with the size and grandeur. We had already decided we were not doing the Sistine Chapel or the dome this trip.

Ds had this book recommended by a fellow dibber, thanks Cenerentola, called Mission Rome where he had to spot certain things for points. It was great because he went looking for things that he would have missed otherwise like the compass points in the square, we know they are in Angels and Demons but he’s just 10, lol,

Edited at 03:56 PM.
Old 21 Feb 18, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day 3 continued.
We were all hungry but I knew finding somewhere decent beside the Vatican might not be too easy so we walked around the back of castel San Angelo and headed for a local place called Orecchietria Banfi.. I’m not sure they got many tourists, we were the only ones in, even though it was really busy, but they were very chatty and could not have been more polite or helpful.

You ordered at the counter and collected it when it was ready, you even got a wee vibrating thing, very disney.

We had 3 pastas, one with artichokes, one with mussels and one with sausage,
wine, water and juice too. It was €34 and all very good.
We got some cakes to take away and we had then sitting in Piazza del Popolo.

We then strolled down Via del Corso. Time for a little shopping - Sephora, farmacia Santa Maria novella for bath salts for MIL, Disney store, lego shop

and my favourite Carpisa where I bought 2 handbags in the sale for €30.
As well as darting off to visit the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.

27k steps today...

Edited at 07:22 AM.
Old 21 Feb 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

Your trip looks great, thank you for reminding me how wonderful Rome is ...
Will go and have a look in orecchietria, looks like our type of place!

Alle Fratte in Trastevere Is one of our drop in places.
We also do Dar poeta!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Wow a good walking day today. The pasta looked lovely.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List