Notices
Intro's and Welcomes Introduce yourself and be welcomed into our community.

Old 13 Mar 21, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Fish22
New Poster (2)

Hello - New User

Hello ,

New User here. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Looking to book our first Florida holiday for July 2022.
We have been given a price on a 2 week package holiday staying at US and tickets for both parks, but have looked at booking it myself and can easily save a lot of money, obviously flights not yet available from the UK. Not yet booked but looking to stay onsite possibly at Endless Summer Dockside due to value for money and the fact that we probably wouldn't be spending much time in the room, but also has close proximity to i-drive for plenty of food options. Not too bothered about car hire.

Using this Forum for advice on planning to get the most out of the holiday.

Is it wise to buy park tickets now and start planning the trip?

Thanks in advance

Si.
Fish22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Hello - welcome.

Never too early to start planning in my view. If you are not dead set on a package and are open to doing DIY then it may be worth cruising the forums and thinking about how you would do it. You could always revisit a package later if you wished.

Of course If you spot a belter of a bargain and fancy a package go for it.

On the ticket front. I think I would wait, do a bit of planning. Work.out how long you aim.to visit for as you can save DIY by going odd dates like 16 17 days or 23 and build your approach to tickets around your plans.

Have a nosy in the trip.reports and elsewhere to see what you fancy.

Enjoy !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hi.

I agree with Mr Wales. It is never too early to start planning and clearly you are brave enough to think laterally and move outside of packages in the event that there are better deals. I also agree with Mr Wales re early stage research, 15,16,17 days etc.

I am an avid DIYer, but that suits the vacations I book. Sometimes for a straight in and out Orlando and staying on site, a package can be very hard to beat on price, plus you can pay off in instalments. Flights only are cash up front.

I would start by reading lots of trip reports, backing up interesting bits with UTube videos and generally keeping an open mind as to what you will eventually do. It may be worth getting park maps for all of the parks and studying them, again looking to UTube for more detail of the various items within. There are obviously 3 big players in Orlando theme parks.
Universal with Islands and Volcano Bay.
Discovery Cove, Seaworld, Busch Aquatica.
Disney with the four plus the two water parks.
I would also try and enthuse the others in your family to do their own research in order to form a joint plan.

Car. I would look long and hard at this one, depending on what accommodation and park decisions made. If staying on site, parking charges are high.. but at the end of the day, you might not end up staying on site when it comes to actually booking. I would never visit Orlando without hiring one, such is the flexibility it offers... but I stay mainly off site!

Have a look at the 2019 Boston trip report link in my signature below. This is simplified, one thread reading and will hopefully give you an idea of how 10 or so days in Orlando can pan out, good and bad.
From this, you can then look into the far more detailed reports of others to look deeper.

The main thing is probably not to swamp and overwhelm your self with detail at this early stage. If you keep it light, the research and excitement that builds from it is both infectious and fun.

Flights. Where from and where to.

Accommodation. Villa, On site, I Drive or LBV. any of these are great and for very different reasons.

Tickets. Universal, Disney, D.C.? Top tip.. our best theme park day is always Discovery Cove!

Other things. Kennedy Space Centre? Day at a beach? Airboat ride? .. loads of others.

Hoping this helps.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 05:15 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Fish22
New Poster (2)

Thanks both for the info, yes there's so much to think about and so many sources of info. I will have a good look through this forum and do lots of research first.
Fish22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Fish22 View Post
Thanks both for the info, yes there's so much to think about and so many sources of info. I will have a good look through this forum and do lots of research first.
Enjoy! And any questions will invariably be answered. ( I also added a bit more to my initial post).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Welcome Fish22

You are definitely in the right place to get tips on planning your trip , so many knowledgeable folks on here
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Trueblue88
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi and Wecome to The Dibb enjoy your planning
Trueblue88 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Welcome to the Dibb. Everything I know about Disney I learnt from the Dibb, invaluable.

A once in lifetime trip, is a fib, once you have been, you will want to go again. My little bit of advise, as you are only going for 14 nights, only do Disney. 4 wonderful magical parks and 2 water parks, will eat your days up.

Havn't been since 2018, then pandemic and cancelled trips. We prefer to do completely DIY and prefer a villa. The luxury of your own private pool is a sight for sore eyes. (make sure if you go this route your pool DOES NOT BACK ONTO ANOTHER POOL).

If no car is your option, a resort with transport to the parks or easy Uber. We get a fly drive with BA which counts as a package, so only a deposit is required when booking then balance paid at 8 weeks prior to travel.

You will get all the advise and tips you need from my fellow dibbers. Planning is the fun part.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 21, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Elmhurst 5 View Post
Welcome to the Dibb. Everything I know about Disney I learnt from the Dibb, invaluable.

A once in lifetime trip, is a fib, once you have been, you will want to go again. My little bit of advise, as you are only going for 14 nights, only do Disney. 4 wonderful magical parks and 2 water parks, will eat your days up.

Havn't been since 2018, then pandemic and cancelled trips. We prefer to do completely DIY and prefer a villa. The luxury of your own private pool is a sight for sore eyes. (make sure if you go this route your pool DOES NOT BACK ONTO ANOTHER POOL).

If no car is your option, a resort with transport to the parks or easy Uber. We get a fly drive with BA which counts as a package, so only a deposit is required when booking then balance paid at 8 weeks prior to travel.

You will get all the advise and tips you need from my fellow dibbers. Planning is the fun part.
The only issue with your cunning plan may be the ‘stick to Disney’ bit.
They have teenagers and with my two, as soon as they reached 54inches, they had no great interest in entering Disney again, preferring the two Univerals, Busch and Sea World because of the bigger rides.

We have not now entered a Disney park on any of our last 5 Orlando vacations. We all four of us vote 1,2 and 3 on the understanding that we will do the two most popular companies. SW/BG always come top because of Discovery Cove and Universal second because of the bigger rides, the lure of a night in a deluxe Universal and also Harry P. Disney doesn’t even get a look in despite the New Star Wars, which suits me as it saves me £1600 plus the parking.

Not everybody is a Disney nut and Orlando has much, much more on offer (even if we only talk theme parks). Of course for some, it is ALL about the Mouse.

Deciding which to visit can totally change the whole dynamic of Orlando as a vacation, but at least they are all pleasant decisions to have to make!

Edited at 03:14 PM.
Old 15 Mar 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Welcome to the Dibb madhouse

You say the two parks at US. It's worth bearing in mind that Volcano Bay is an outstanding 3rd US park and, if you are swimmers, a great day out.

Remember, it is possible to over-plan

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List