Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 May 21, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

A week in The Lake District ( or Water, Water everywhere )

A week in the Lake district ( or water, water everywhere )

Back in January I guessed that UK holiday accommodation would be in high demand this year, so I booked a cottage in Keswick for week beginning 15th May ( we usually take our UK holidays in May , we've always been lucky with the weather &#129315 and I thought now would be a good time to visit the lakes without the hoards of foreign tourists.
We had 2 dry days out of 8 🙄 , but we were lucky with indoor dining being allowed from the 17th and there were no hoards foreign or otherwise. It was just the right side of busy, plenty of people out and about but no queueing for anything and no traffic jams.
We were me, DH , DS24 and our dog , Maya . We had a lovely cottage through Keswick cottages, a few minutes walk from the town and a stones throw from Fitz park. I liked Keswick, it has everything you need while still retaining some character.

Day 1

We drove up from Herefordshire on the A49 to Northwich , where we stopped at Arley hall and Gardens. It was raining, but the gardens were lovely and we were able to have lunch undercover in a crook barn, the tables were seperated by potted rhododendrons and other plants and there was live music which made it all rather pleasant .

We continued on the M6, I don't like motorway driving, especially in heavy traffic, so I had 3 junctions noted where I could exit and drive up through the Lakes, but traffic was light so we stayed on the M6 all the way up to the Keswick exit.
The heating was on in the cottage when we arrived, in May ! But we were glad of it. We had ready meals for dinner, I'm not cooking on holiday , nor am I sitting out in the rain, so I planned microwave meals or takeaways for 2 days.

Day 2

Our first day we stayed in Keswick ( I did enough driving the day before ) We had a wander around the town and I bought Maya a doggy robe, she has worn it most days since

We went on a boat trip on Derwentwater ( the lake Keswick is on ) the rain stopped for a while so we sat outside, it was just the 3 of us so we didn't wear our masks, not sure if we were supposed to , other boat operators required masks outside.

We played crazy golf in the pouring rain, got totally soaked, than a takeaway for dinner.

Day 3

We drove south to Grasmere. Had a wander round the village and bought gingerbread

then down to a murky lake Windermere where we ate a packed lunch in the car

before heading North over the Kirkstone pass . Lovely scenery and the rain was just a drizzle.

I'd booked a visit to Brougham castle for 3.30 , this having to prebook is annoying, I'd have liked to stop at Ullswater or Aira force but we were running late. It was close to 4pm by the time we arrived at Brougham ( Google maps lied ) but it was not a problem. Only 1 other couple there. I liked Brougham castle, it had a nice feel to it and it had stopped raining .

Back to Keswick with a stop a Castlerigg stone circle ( we got English heritage membership last year and I'm determined we're going to use it )

Another takeaway for dinner.

Day 4

No rain today, in fact the forecast says the sun might put in an appearance ! We've bought tickets for the Ravenglass / Eskdale railway. We are getting on at Dalegarth which is the Eskdale station ( it's in Boot so why it's called Dalegarth I don't know ) .
I chose a covered, but open sided carriage, not quite believing the weather forecast.
Google maps took us a very scenic route over moors and then miles down single track and thankfully quiet lanes. We arrived with about 10 minutes to spare.
Each family group had their own carriage ( you are given your carriage number when you book ) so we didn't need to wear masks. It was a lovely trip to Ravenglass, it took about 40 minutes .

The sea was out at Ravenglass but we sat in the sun by the estuary and enjoyed the warmth and bird song, it actually felt like May. A passing cyclist asked if we'd spotted any adders, apparently they sun themselves on the bank behind where we were sitting.

We had an hour in Ravenglass ( you have to choose your return time when you book and I'd rather have not enough time than too much ) we had time for a coffee at the station cafe before our trip back to Boot.
We had a pub lunch, sitting outside as it was STILL sunny ! Then went for a short walk to a nearby river.

Google took us a different , more direct route back to Keswick, just cos I wanted to get some photos of the moors 🙄

Day 5

Another dry day , though not so sunny . Heading south again , first stop Ambleside. We had a wander round the town, started walking to a waterfall but had to turn back as we had to be at our next pre booked stop for 12.

We visited the Stott park bobbin mill. ( English heritage again ) it was a working mill making bobbins for the cotton mills until 1971. The guide explained the process and then made a bobbin using the original machinery. Very interesting.

From there we headed over to Brantwood Gardens on the shores of Lake Coniston . We had lunch here and this was the only place we queued , most people wanted a table on the terrace overlooking the lake, we agreed to sit inside so didn't have to wait so long.
A walk around the gardens after lunch turned into a slog up a hill as DS wanted to see the view from the highest part of the estate. I think the view was worth it.

Day 6

The rain is back today. We are heading west to Buttermere but first a stop at Whinlatter forest. Lots of trails for walkers and cyclists ( and alpaca walkers ) and I'm sure the views would have been spectacular , if we had been able to see through the mist. We were sodden after walking the shortest trail.

I originally thought we'd walk around Buttermere, but that was not appealing in the rain, so we just had a pub lunch then drove back to Keswick over the Honnister pass. Again, stunning scenery, the valley floor was scattered with large boulders which I assume have rolled down the mountainside 😯

Back in Keswick DS is not wet enough and wants to go for another walk, so we walk to Friars Crag on Derwentwater.

Day 7

A no car day today as I'm going to be driving home tomorrow. DS wants to go on a bus and DH wants to do another boat trip. We buy return bus tickets to Ambleside ( actually day explorer tickets) and I enjoy looking out the window for a change.
The Ambleside boat launch is actually just out of town, we get off at the Waterhead hotel. There is a boat tour if Windermere leaving in 5 minutes but tickets have to be bought online ( we are stood beside the ticket office !&#128545 by the time I've bought tickets on my phone the boat has gone and we have a 30 minute wait until the next one , so we go for coffee and scones with rum butter , a Cumbrian delicacy apparently.

We are sitting inside this time so wear our masks ( again, you have to choose when you book and you can't change your mind later ) there's lots of room and the seats/ tables are all distanced. I chose the return trip to Windermere , we have half an hour in Windermere before returning to Ambleside. It was a pleasant trip with some interesting commentary, but I think I I preffered the scenery of Derwentwater.

Back at Ambleside we walk into town ( about 15 minutes ) and play crazy golf in the drizzle before catching the bus back to Keswick. I wanted to have a look round the shops, but it's 5.20 and most places are closing, so back to the cottage to change, then back out for dinner at a pub in town.

Day 8

Home today, but first I have to nip into town to get fridge magnets for my collection. We make a slight detour to Bassenthwaite lake where there is an osprey viewing station, but Google takes us to a layby instead of a carpark and studying the map I can't work out where the carpark is anyway, so we have a short walk around the lake shore and get back in the car , next stop Kendal.
We drive down past Grasmere and Ambleside, the queue of traffic heading into Ambleside from the South is huge, BBC travel news mentions it and blames roadworks, but we don't see any and heading South is fine.
We stop for an hour for coffee and snack in Kendal. Much bigger than I expected and it's main street must be the longest I have seen.
We are then back on the M6 , traffic a little busier than the previous Saturday, but tolerable. I have booked Beeston Castle in Cheshire ( English heritage ) as a halfway stop. We arrive bang on time but by the time we have walked up the hill to admire the views ( Beeston is all view and hardly any castle ) the cafe is closed, that's my lunch plans scuppered.

We decide to stop at a pub and have an early dinner instead. We end up in Bunbury at The Yew tree . It's very popular ( a good sign ) but the staff are obviously struggling with the influx of diners ( not so good ) it's 6.30 pm by the time we leave. We get home just before 9pm.

So, it was a mostly wet week, but we enjoyed it. The scenery was stunning , no crowds or traffic to contend with. Everyone at the cafe's/ pubs/ attractions we visited was friendly and seemed pleased to have their customers back. And I think we spent enough to give the local economy a boost but I hope that isn't our one and only holiday this year. I want some guaranteed sunshine and warmth.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds like a lovely week despite the weather. The lakes really are lovely.

Thanks for sharing
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Brilliant- we too were in the Lakes last week (5 days) and got the better weather early on. We’re fortunate to be able to do day trips to the southern and eastern lakes but we like to explore the quieter western lakes which really requires a stopover. We were in Ravenglass on Wednesday (no La’al Ratty for us this time, we did last October). Stott Park Bobbin Mill is a gem - love the non-existent H&S in the C19! We went to Brantwood on Tuesday (after a trip on the steam gondola on Coniston) but it was very busy so we had lunch at a farm just along the road, also with incredible views. For your next visit, get National Trust membership and fill your boots!😂🤣

Edited at 03:02 PM.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Thanks for taking the time to write a report! We went to the Lakes for the first time in September and loved it - we were lucky with only 1 wet day! Will definitely return

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That looks lovely, blooming english weather though but you can't live around that or we be in 10 months a year lol. Glad you had a lovely time and another to add to my list. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Your pics are lovely. A shame about the weather but good to see it didn’t stop you from having fun. Thanks for sharing.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Your pictures are just so beautiful. Glad you still managed to get out and about despite the rainy weather. Really enjoyed your trip report. Thank you.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Lovely pictures - the Lake District is beautiful, even in wet weather
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 21, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
lovely photos and we are going to Lake District in two weeks time.
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Fantastic photos! The Lake District is my favourite place on earth.