Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Aug 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
d1gger
Proud to wear my Ears

Agree with cfb in not picking up your car until you're ready to depart SF - we did this as car parking in SF is pretty expensive.
Driving down the PCH is a great experience and cfb can back me up on this - I think we went similar times a couple of years ago.
However next time we go (should we ever get out in the US again!) we're gonna do Hawaii for as few nights, so fly into SFO stay for a few nights then fly to Hawaii then fly back into LAX or SD, this way you cut out the long PCH drive, and save the cost on an extra night of hotels costs with an overnight flight (if you time your flight right)
d1gger is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 21, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

You are trying to do a lot in 3 weeks. Personally I would concentrate on Northern California then fly down to Southern (SD) for that part - slip Death Valley and Vegas staying longer in San Diego and finishing up in SM with your family - flying home from LAX (more choice of flights back) - from SD drive up the PCH to SM then form there you could easily have day trips to Malibu or even Santa Barbara and again follow the PCH North (that is a beautiful stretch of road)

As CFB said you dont need a car in SF or SD really except to drive up to LA/SM. Domestic air travel is cheap and plentiful
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi I think overall your plan is fine and we would disagree that some are saying your trying to do to much. Our only comments would be to spend an extra day in both Monterey and Yosemite. In Monterey there is so much to do and top of the list would be to go whale watching one of the best things we have ever done. As for Yosemite 3 or 4 days would be good but 2 would be the least we would suggest, you will arrive approximately lunch time and if you can manage the extra night this will allow time to do at least one of the walks before leaving via tioga pass. Obviously you would need to trim time elsewhere and for us we would drive straight to Vegas and then cut a day at the end. Some might say drop San Diego and we could understand this , but of course it’s a great place to.

Edited at 09:34 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi I think overall your plan is fine and we would disagree that some are saying your trying to do to much. Our only comments would be to spend an extra day in both Monterey and Yosemite. In Monterey there is so much to do and top of the list would be to go whale watching one of the best things we have ever done. As for Yosemite 3 or 4 days would be good but 2 would be the least we would suggest, you will arrive approximately lunch time and if you can manage the extra night this will allow time to do at least one of the walks before leaving via tioga pass. Obviously you would need to trim time elsewhere and for us we would drive straight to Vegas and then cut a day at the end. Some might say drop San Diego and we could understand this , but of course it’s a great place to.
Whilst knowing little and having experienced none of Yosemite and Mammoth, I agree completely.

A vacation is what you want and not someone else. Whilst many of my friends want to laze on a beach throughout and all inclusive, I want to hammer it.

A good example would be my 2019 Boston (trip report in my signature)..
in 21 nights we, Arrived Boston (3 nights in a houseboat), train to NY (3 nights), plane to Dayton Ohio (3 nights), drive to Cincinnati and fly to Orlando (11 nights, but 3 accommodations), drive to Naples (1 night), then flew from Miami after taking in an airboat ride.
It is agreed that this was our best vacation yet and there was no strain at all as we hand baggage only and throughout.

I would go with your plan, but cut out 12 days car hire (and parking) as I earlier suggested, taking in a few cheap flights instead.

My only worry in all this is that you may miss the absolute no1 ‘Jewel in the Crown’ Attraction, namely the PCH drive between Monterey and Pismo beach, regretting it later.. Maybe you should look at flying from San Luis Obispo to Vegas!

Hope that we are not confusing you, but I believe your plan is a very good one that just requires minor ‘tweaking’.

Edited at 10:56 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Thank you everyone for your comments, and sorry I’ve not replied until now. I’m going to take some time over the weekend to consider your suggestions.

I am definitely receptive to leaving out Death Valley and Las Vegas, as hubby is not bothered about LV and I have been before. It might be something to do if we ever try the Utah and Grand Canyon national parks. That would maybe allow more time for the PCH? If we missed DV and LV, what order would you suggest and what overnight stops, to take us down to LA?
Old 13 Aug 21, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments, and sorry I’ve not replied until now. I’m going to take some time over the weekend to consider your suggestions.

I am definitely receptive to leaving out Death Valley and Las Vegas, as hubby is not bothered about LV and I have been before. It might be something to do if we ever try the Utah and Grand Canyon national parks. That would maybe allow more time for the PCH? If we missed DV and LV, what order would you suggest and what overnight stops, to take us down to LA?
That is exactly what I would do, but it was not my place to make those decisions.

I would simply drive N to S from SFO and in any order that suits you.
What I mean is this. Whilst at the top end, distances are large, at the bottom end, LA to San Diego is short and simple.
I would guess that you would want to finish with your friends so…

I would fly into San Francisco, stay maybe 4 days, doing a combination of
Alcatraz
Dylan’s ultimate cycle tour ( from Columbus by the Lombard Street zigzags, down, along the front, over the GG bridge and then dump at Sausalito where they pick you up in a minibus and take you through Marin to Muir Woods for a while before returning you to either fisherman’s or Chinatown.
The love tour (a trip around SFO in a hand painted VW bus, air cooled, shag pile carpets and hand painted, playing ‘Summer of love’ stuff.
The SFO Cable cars
The Disney museum.

I would then drive to Monterey, picking up your hire car as you leave. There I would…
See the aquarium
Take a whale watching trip.
Soak up the atmosphere of Cannery Row.

I would then drive the PCH through 17 mile, Big Sur, Partington Ridge, Bizby Bridge and Pfeiffer Burns stopping along the way until you reach San Simeon and make a decision.
1. see the Elephant seals and drive on to the Madonna Inn
2. Stop overnight in one of the not so great hotels and see Randolph Hearst Castle in the morning before driving on to the Madonna Inn.

Having sampled the outrageously pink Madonna Inn (have a look on their site at hotel and rooms). I would possibly see the Monarch butterfly grove at Pismo beach, if in season, before going to San Luis Obispo airport, dumping the car and flying straight to San Diego. Imho the PCH is not as good as you go S from Pismo.

You might venture a little further south to visit Danish Looking Solvang.. or not.

In San Diego I would try to stay in the Seaport area (Aims will advise where, I don’t doubt) I would not get a car, but consider a Gosandiego5 card to take in a combination of..
USS Midway
Hornblower cruises both N and S round the bay.
Balboa park with its loads of attractions including the awesome San Diego Zoo.
Top gun Bar (Kansas City Bar and Grill).
Coronado beach
Seaworld.
Doubtless other bits.

I would then either..
Pick up a hire car and drive along the Coast to LA, stopping possibly for..
Kayaking at La Jolla
Scrips Oceanographic Centre.
Legoland at Carlsbad.
Across the front of LA to Santa Monica.

Or fly San Diego to LAX where your friends might pick you up. I feel sure that they have plenty of ideas re LA.

My 2018 California trip report and also my cancelled Cali pretrip reports cover pretty much everything listed.

Well, you did ask!

Edited at 04:16 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 21, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That is exactly what I would do, but it was not my place to make those decisions.

I would simply drive N to S from SFO and in any order that suits you.
What I mean is this. Whilst at the top end, distances are large, at the bottom end, LA to San Diego is short and simple.
I would guess that you would want to finish with your friends so…

I would fly into San Francisco, stay maybe 4 days, doing a combination of
Alcatraz
Dylan’s ultimate cycle tour ( from Columbus by the Lombard Street zigzags, down, along the front, over the GG bridge and then dump at Sausalito where they pick you up in a minibus and take you through Marin to Muir Woods for a while before returning you to either fisherman’s or Chinatown.
The love tour (a trip around SFO in a hand painted VW bus, air cooled, shag pile carpets and hand painted, playing ‘Summer of love’ stuff.
The SFO Cable cars
The Disney museum.

I would then drive to Monterey, picking up your hire car as you leave. There I would…
See the aquarium
Take a whale watching trip.
Soak up the atmosphere of Cannery Row.

I would then drive the PCH through 17 mile, Big Sur, Partington Ridge, Bizby Bridge and Pfeiffer Burns stopping along the way until you reach San Simeon and make a decision.
1. see the Elephant seals and drive on to the Madonna Inn
2. Stop overnight in one of the not so great hotels and see Randolph Hearst Castle in the morning before driving on to the Madonna Inn.

Having sampled the outrageously pink Madonna Inn (have a look on their site at hotel and rooms). I would possibly see the Monarch butterfly grove at Pismo beach, if in season, before going to San Luis Obispo airport, dumping the car and flying straight to San Diego. Imho the PCH is not as good as you go S from Pismo.

You might venture a little further south to visit Danish Looking Solvang.. or not.

In San Diego I would try to stay in the Seaport area (Aims will advise where, I don’t doubt) I would not get a car, but consider a Gosandiego5 card to take in a combination of..
USS Midway
Hornblower cruises both N and S round the bay.
Balboa park with its loads of attractions including the awesome San Diego Zoo.
Top gun Bar (Kansas City Bar and Grill).
Coronado beach
Seaworld.
Doubtless other bits.

I would then either..
Pick up a hire car and drive along the Coast to LA, stopping possibly for..
Kayaking at La Jolla
Scrips Oceanographic Centre.
Legoland at Carlsbad.
Across the front of LA to Santa Monica.

Or fly San Diego to LAX where your friends might pick you up. I feel sure that they have plenty of ideas re LA.

My 2018 California trip report and also my cancelled Cali prettily reports cover pretty much everything listed.

Well, you did ask!
Thank you. I would still want to do Yosemite and Mammoth. They’re probably the main thing we both agree we want to do. How do we fit in those and the PCH?

Looks like we’d have to drive back on ourselves which I’m okay with - so San Fran, Yosemite/Mammoth, Monterey and then onwards?
Old 13 Aug 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Thank you. I would still want to do Yosemite and Mammoth. They’re probably the main thing we both agree we want to do. How do we fit in those and the PCH?

Looks like we’d have to drive back on ourselves which I’m okay with - so San Fran, Yosemite/Mammoth, Monterey and then onwards?
And why not?

I have never been to Yosemite or Mammoth, so cannot help.. but I feel sure that others can?

I am glad that you are looking towards the PCH as imho, it would have been a bit like visiting SFO and not going to Alcatraz. (Remember that Alcatraz MUST be booked pretty much on release at 90 days out).

You are like us… nice to see another who can take or leave the theme parks. There are just so many alternatives, particularly in California.

An absolute highlight for me was the Reagan Library in the Simi Valley.

Edited at 04:22 PM.
Old 15 Aug 21, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again San Fran to Yosemite is an easy dr 3.5 hours, mammoth lakes to Monterey is approx 5.5 so not to bad
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 21, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

I do like these threads, make me want to sort out a proper trip to the us and not do the 2 weeks at Orlando as we and alot of others do.
What do struggle with is the abbreviations , some I have no idea what they mean. Lol .

Edited at 09:07 AM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List