Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 22 Aug 21, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
Last year we were supposed to do the theme park road trip I promised DS. Now hoping for May/June next year. Not booked anything yet, but the plans have been tinkered with and of course, extended . The plan so far is
Fly into Charlotte ( probably )
Carowinds
Spend 2 days driving Blue ridge parkway to Pigeon Forge
2 days Dollywood
Drive to Holidayworld ( Indiana )
2 days Holidayworld
Drive to Kentucky Kingdom, Kentucky Kingdom
Drive to Kings Island ( Ohio )
Kings Island
Drive to Cedar point ( Ohio )
2 days Cedar point
Drive to Kennywood ( Pennsylvania )
Kennywood
Take 2 days to drive to Kings Dominion ( Virginia ) via Skyline Drive
Kings Dominion
Drive to Busch Gardens williamsburg , BGW
BGW
Either take 2 days to drive back to Charlotte via Blue ridge parkway , or fly home from Richmond Virginia.
It's a lot of driving and I don't particularly enjoy driving, unless it's a quiet , scenic route . I also hate the idea of nothing but themeparks, so the travel days between the parks are going to have lots of stops and take much longer than Google advises. Skyline drive and Blue ridge parkway have been on my bucket list a while , so they've been worked into the itinerary for the sake of a few extra days.
Busch at Williamsburg and Cedar point both look amazing. Hershey is another one that we have considered in the past.

Our problem comes with fitting them in amongst other things. My wife is most certainly not a rider and therefore now that we are starting to travel without our boys, my theme parking days may regrettably be in my past. She does fancy Dollywood though..

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

I know I am being nit picky but a few of these posts mention Washington when they are meaning Washington DC. Washington state is fantastic and I can recommend a road trip there - Washington, Oregon and North California.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 21, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We’ve done a Tennessee New York Boston Savannah Tybee Island ( amazing ) Boston
Las Vegas ( hated it ) Arazonia California San Francisco I’d go back in a minute
Hawaii now we are not sit on the beech people but we loved it The outer banks again not beach folks but loved it
Our bucket list now is
Washington and Mount Rushmore and hopefully Yellowstone
If we=win the lottery it will be a home in Hawaii that’s for sure it should be on every body’s list
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I have in recent years been moving away from Orlando, booking West Coasts, East Coasts, Major Cities, all sorts of stuff. Whilst we have not abandoned Orlando totally, it has now shrunk to just 7 days of our 15, next Easter.

The (hopeful) purpose of this thread is that Dibbers can share their plans, aborted plans and cancellations that have either been executed or at least reached the very detailed planning stage where they had a route, hotels, attractions, methods of travel between points etc.
Other can then look at these abbreviated ideas in a central location (here) and per(apps take some of the ideas forward into their own vacations.

I ask politely that purely Orlando vacations are excluded as there are amply researchable elsewhere.

I will start…

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1197381
This link is to a rather straightforward vacation that is all signed up and paid for and is simply an arrival in Toronto, a mega bus round to Niagara Falls, a flight from Buffalo to Orlando and later, a drive with overnights at Crystal River, Next to Busch Gardens, Venice, Naples and finally, a flight home from Miami.

Key aspects are…
1. The price of the flights in Easter School Hols 2022 driving some lateral thinking.
2. Niagara being on the ‘Bucket List’.
3. Probably our last family Florida and thus rather important.
4. A wish to see the Southern Gulf Coast one last time.

If this vacation floated your boat, you could have every single aspect booked within the hour!

Over to the next poster!
I do wish you didnt post these ‘good ideas!’ -lol - i have now priced up a Toronto 3n- NYC 3n and orlando 10n and it came in at reasonable price - much better than i tjought, that is for next year though, just to get a guide price for 2023, but realised it might be doable! It will be our last USA trip so need to pack in what we can!
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

They don’t have to be road trips, flying works too.
One of my favourite trips was based around concert tickets and meeting with friends at each stop.
London to Baltimore drove up into Pennsylvania through Amish country and also had plans for DC (that bit got scuppered due to a hurricane and I skipped out early to fly onto Phoenix, just as well I did as whilst I was in the air the eastern seaboard closed down ) after time in Arizona I flew up to Vancouver before flying home. Loved all three destinations and even used up some stray miles for some of the internal flights.
The combination of cities doesn’t always need to be logical
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
I do wish you didnt post these ‘good ideas!’ -lol - i have now priced up a Toronto 3n- NYC 3n and orlando 10n and it came in at reasonable price - much better than i tjought, that is for next year though, just to get a guide price for 2023, but realised it might be doable! It will be our last USA trip so need to pack in what we can!
Hee hee.

If you want to get real clever, then the AMTRAC from Penn Station to Washington DC is cheap and takes 4 hours. You could then stay at the Springhill Suites by Hilton at Crystal City (Complete with revolving Restaurant, right next to R Reagan Airport, seeing the whole of the Mall, Smithsonian White House, Capitol etc (all free) before flying on from Reagan to Orlando. A Taxi from Springhill suites to the Lincoln Memorial is $10 and you walk the lot from there! Reagan does directs into Orlando.

This train journey removes the hassle of getting from Manhattan to LaGuardia, JFK or Newark. Penn station is right in the middle, under Maddison Sq Gardens.

You could add just two days to your vacation to get all of that!

Just trying to be helpful!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
They don’t have to be road trips, flying works too.
One of my favourite trips was based around concert tickets and meeting with friends at each stop.
London to Baltimore drove up into Pennsylvania through Amish country and also had plans for DC (that bit got scuppered due to a hurricane and I skipped out early to fly onto Phoenix, just as well I did as whilst I was in the air the eastern seaboard closed down ) after time in Arizona I flew up to Vancouver before flying home. Loved all three destinations and even used up some stray miles for some of the internal flights.
The combination of cities doesn’t always need to be logical
There is no logic in that at all.. and it looks brilliant.

People forget just how cheap internal flights (and AMTRAC) can be.. particularly if there are two of you.

This one might appeal to you. We were just 2 weeks from departure, when Covid cancelled it!
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1148003

Edited at 07:24 AM.
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Trains so often get forgotten , we loved the train that runs from Miami up to West Palm Beach and I’ve done Amtrak from Battle Creek to Chicago as well , so much better and more relaxing than yet another freeway !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Hee hee.

If you want to get real clever, then the AMTRAC from Penn Station to Washington DC is cheap and takes 4 hours. You could then stay at the Springhill Suites by Hilton at Crystal City (Complete with revolving Restaurant, right next to R Reagan Airport, seeing the whole of the Mall, Smithsonian White House, Capitol etc (all free) before flying on from Reagan to Orlando. A Taxi from Springhill suites to the Lincoln Memorial is $10 and you walk the lot from there! Reagan does directs into Orlando.

This train journey removes the hassle of getting from Manhattan to LaGuardia, JFK or Newark. Penn station is right in the middle, under Maddison Sq Gardens.

You could add just two days to your vacation to get all of that!

Just trying to be helpful!
Amtrak from Penn also takes you to Boston in 4 hours, beautiful scenery running along the coast and the great thing is straight from central Manhattan into central Boston.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 21, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Virginia is a beautiful state, that you rarely see mentioned other than the Blue Ridge,Williamsburg & Kings Dominion. It really does have everything you might want in a holiday. My daughter lived/worked there for 5/6 years, so, being retired, I was able to stay there a lot. We used it as a base for road trips to other states (Georgia, Savannah, Tennessee etc) or flights from Richmond to further destinations like Idaho, Jackson Hole (yep, even to Orlando - lol).
Mountains (& caverns) to the West, beaches to the East ( although we prefer the Outer Banks of Nth Carolina - not much further to drive), historical sights & loads of vineyards & breweries in between. Cheers 👍
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List