Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 30 Aug 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Universal Express - would we *need* it mid May?

Hi everyone,

Planning for 2023 here

We are going to be staying 2 nights in a Universal hotel at the beginning of our holiday like we did last time. I've always wanted to say at RPR (a real bucket list hotel for me) with Express.

We've stayed on site twice before, but never had Express, nor have we really felt we've needed it as we seem to manage quite well without it.

But we are thinking of going in the middle two weeks in May, and as it will be a bit quieter than say, half term week at the end of May, my sensible hat is wondering if we will actually *need* to stay somewhere as expensive as RPR and have Express.

Can anyone who has been during those 2 weeks advise?
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I don't go at that time of year but logically, if you normally cope without it fine in a busier week then no, you won't need it.

If RPR is a bucket list stay though, maybe keep an eye out for annual passholder hotel rates? They won't come out until a few months before, but you can book somewhere cheaper on a refundable rate in the meantime. Once released, it should bring the price per night down to around the same as Sapphire Falls. There's no AP blackouts in May that I'm aware of and the cheapest level of pass is roughly the same price as UK tickets. Don't even need to already hold an AP to book them, just need to have it when you check in.

Edited at 05:29 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
tracey1302
Imagineer

tracey1302's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I don't go at that time of year but logically, if you normally cope without it fine in a busier week then no, you won't need it.

If RPR is a bucket list stay though, maybe keep an eye out for annual passholder hotel rates? They won't come out until a few months before, but you can book somewhere cheaper on a refundable rate in the meantime. Once released, it should bring the price per night down to around the same as Sapphire Falls. There's no AP blackouts in May that I'm aware of and the cheapest level of pass is roughly the same price as UK tickets. Don't even need to already hold an AP to book them, just need to have it when you check in.
That's a great tip - thank you! Could I book 3-4 rooms with it and still get the rate? Or does someone in each room have to have an AP?
tracey1302 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 21, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I'm not sure on that one, I never travel with enough people to need multiple rooms. Quick search on some Universal boards tells me that it's possible, but you may need to be the one paying for all the rooms.

If you go this route, also check the park ticket discounts as I believe AP holders get discounted friends and family tickets. You have to buy them at the gate rather than in advance which is a little annoying. But could work out a decent saving if there's a lot of you.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 21, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
bronny
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We are going in May and won’t be buying them. We’ve never found May to be too bad.
POFQ December 2016
POFQ and Eagle Pointe - Sep 2018
Briar Grove villa, Hard Rock, wilderness lodge and Miami twice Christmas 2019

bronny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 21, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Really depends on your patience for waiting in queues and what time of the year you have been before. If you went towards the end of the May when there is memorial day the parks get very busy then. I've been in July before and managed without, so a lot of it really falls in personal preference.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Charlangela
Imagineer

We are staying in Royal Pacific on the 16th May 22 for one night to get the express pass, purely because they are the only two days we have factored in for Universal and we don't want to miss anything
Pre Trip Report| Trip Report

Charlangela is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 21, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
We’ve been four times in mid May. It’s manageable without but SO SO much better with. It’s always still been fairly busy.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
tow
Trading Disney Pins

You stay one night at RPR and get 2 days worth of Express (check in and out day) For us we enjoy it so much more with Express and worth making some incremental savings elsewhere to pay for a few nights there.

If its a bucket list thing surely just save a few quid elsewhere and go for it...
tow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 21, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

Do a night at RPR. It isn't just the Express Pass (which is great to have even at relatively quiet times, as some rides still pull big queues) there is also the fact it is a beautiful hotel

A night at the pool after a day at the parks is one of the highlights for me

We haven't been in May but go at the end of August (when US schools are back and it is quieter) and we much prefer having Express. Rides like Dudley Do Right, Despicable Me and Kong still have long queues and Express makes things far more spontaneous and enjoyable
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List