Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 13 Sep 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
ducati211
Trainee Dibber

I live here and as others have said Gro for something to eat, the fox and the willow and the tree house, apart from that its mcdonalds and costa for quick fix.
Plenty of nice bars in Prestwick.
If you have kids then the farmpark is great, bowling, soft play and kelburn country park and Culzean country park.

For a walk at the beach its maidens

Portpatrick for a lovely drive.

Short walk to turnberry lighthouse and have a coffee at it looking out to the sea.

Ferry to arran and a visit to largs.

Not a great deal to do around Ayr but def lots of lovely scenery and dedicated walks and beach walks.
ducati211 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Culzean castle ,
Maidens , there is nothing there but nice beach and plenty parking

Isle of Arran, three quarters of an hour in the ferry , recommend taking your car, loads of nice things to visit there, Brodick castle, 2 distillery’s which do really nice lunches, lovely wee villages where you can get nice lunches

Dumfries house , highly recommend going there , house to visit which costs but the grounds, which are huge are free, visiting the grounds alone are lovely . Prince Charles has done wonders here , also has a lovely coffee place that do nice lunches

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 21, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We stayed in Ayr for three nights in June. We had a day over on Arran and the other day to Culzean Castle (NT), Electric Brae and walked out to the lighthouse on the public footpath across the Trump Turnberry golf course. We had planned to have afternoon tea at the hotel but it was only open to residents at the time.
Two recommended restaurants we ate at - Brig o’Doon at Alloway and At Home Thai Bar and Grill, New Road, Ayr.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

there are two local restaurants called GRO that have absolutely outstanding food. One is in Irvine and one in just off the A77 at Ayr. The brunch foods are to die for and dont even get me started on the cakes they have!

I disagree with OP as there are a lot of locally owned restaurants there you just have to find them. Ayr India is on the shoreline and has the most beautiful view of stunning sunsets.

grocoffee/
ayrindia/

The town is a bot run down these days sadly but there is a lot of nice beaches and places locally. Troon and Prestwick are great and so is Largs, if you go there try Green Shutter Bistro, again very very good food and its run by my husband friend and ex work colleague.

greenshuttersbistro/
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Know there a blast from my past 😆 I worked at Ayr Butlins many years ago 😂

Edited at 10:30 AM.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Glad to hear Brig o Doon is still nice. Was our go to restaurant for special occasions when we lived closer. We were only talking last night at how we would love to go back.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 21, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I live in Ayrshire, I visited Ayr last week and cant believe how run down the town centre is now, even Ayr Central has so many empty units.

However there is so much to see and do out of the town. Gro for breakfast is amazing, we love a drive down to the Maidens and to go for dinner at The Wildings, especially if you like seafood.

We live in the village where Dumfries House is, its an amazing place and Prince Charles was here staying last week. Its a gorgeous place for a walk and a coffee and some cake.
2littleboys is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Agree with the comments about Gro in Ayr. We had breakfast there on the day it opened, it was very good.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

sadly have to adjust mine as Green Shutters in Largs has closed as of yesterday. IT didnt survive the pandemic which is a massive shame because it was lovely :-(

Still heartily recommend GRO though.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 21, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
LaurenC
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Glad to see so many fellow Ayrshire residents here
LaurenC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List