Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Oct 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Some homework for me then! Doh- looks like we might need to include Boston or Washington or drop NY and do both! Lol!
Old 4 Oct 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bootrip2 View Post
Some homework for me then! Doh- looks like we might need to include Boston or Washington or drop NY and do both! Lol!
Nice decisions to have to make. Whilst Boston was always on our list (Whales and Freedom Trail), Mandie was not over keen on visiting Washington DC .. It absolutely blew her away with its cleanliness, space, ease of viewing all the ‘a’list stuff etc. Remember that we stuck rigidly to the Mall area, which to us is where all the ‘must see’s’ are.

The only snag came when we flew on to Orlando. We were staying at Crystal City, just over the Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial and adjacent to R Reagan international airport (great location). We caught a $70 Taxi in order to see the Hazy Centre and fly out of Dulles on an indirect via Detroit to Orlando… and got delayed 4 hours in Detroit.
Mandie later found that a direct from Reagan to Orlando was in fact cheaper than our indirects from Dulles… Oh how she laughed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 21, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Been looking at a rough plan

LHR hotel

Flight to Toronto flight approx. 13.30 arriving approx. 4pm local time – Immigration/customs etc – Need ETA

3 nights at Airport hotel will ot be ok for a base to see city?- toronto tour- are there any places to see bears safely? ! ?

2 nights at Niagra Falls -

Flight Toronto to New York – leaving about 13.30 arriving in New York approx 3pm local time

? Any difficulties travelling between canada and USA? - ? Immigration in New York?

5 nights New York Midtown Hilton- shopping. ESB, DD wants to visit museum again and central park, maybe Brooklyn bridge or some kind of walking tour, we last visited in winter, so will be good to see in summer.

Flight New York to LHR – Day flight back to UK - leaving approx. 8am – arriving in UK approx. 8pm local time

Hotel at LHR overnight before travelling home.
We spent a week in Toronto a few years ago (quite a few years ago 😂 ) and I would not have wanted to base myself at the airport. It was not particularly well connected to the city from what I found.

I also would have found two nights at Niagara Falls too long.

We found loads to do in Toronto.

As to New York - I don’t think I could ever tire of it!
Old 4 Oct 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
We spent a week in Toronto a few years ago (quite a few years ago 😂 ) and I would not have wanted to base myself at the airport. It was not particularly well connected to the city from what I found.

There is now a seemingly excellent metro line going from airport to city centre in around 25 minutes.

(Excerpt from pre trip report)

Edited at 06:36 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Like you, I no longer find Orlando a challenge when booking.

Just for your Husband….

Boston has..
USS Constitution.
USS Cassin young, right alongside Constitution.
The Freedom trail, Boston massacre etc etc.
These are all a walk from downtown.

Battleship cove is a fair distance from Boston, but has USS Massachusetts.

Washington has.
Wright flyer, Glamourous Glennis, Spirit of St Louis, Apollo 11 Re entry vehicle, X15, Amelia Earharts ‘Bessie’ etc etc in airspace.
The original Star Spangled Banner.
All the monuments.
White House, Capitol etc.
Pentagon.
Lincoln’s Carriage.
Arlington Cemetery.

The Hazy Centre at Dulles has..
Enola Gay, Shuttle, SR71 Blackbird and over 100 other aircraft.

As you may have guessed, Military History is my thing.Time for some research !
Which ones will have the most tanks?!?!
Old 5 Oct 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post

It looks like a complete overhaul of trip! Thank heavens for getting great info before booking! Thanks for advice!
Old 5 Oct 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Which ones will have the most tanks?!?!
None of those.

If you want to see lots of tanks, then the USS Alabama memorial at Mobile may be the place to go.. along with a stay at gorgeous Pensacola Beach of course!

Or maybe this one, 50 miles West of Boston! I haven’t been here…. Yet.
americanheritagemuseum.o...on-directions/

The best one is at Fort Lee, where all the stuff from the Aberdeen proving ground has been moved. This is comparable to Bovington, Saumir, Thun, Kublinka etc with an awful lot of WW2 German Stuff. It is not open to the public!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:25 AM.
Old 5 Oct 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
None of those.

If you want to see lots of tanks, then the USS Alabama memorial at Mobile may be the place to go.. along with a stay at gorgeous Pensacola Beach of course!

Or maybe this one, 50 miles West of Boston! I haven’t been here…. Yet.
americanheritagemuseum.o...on-directions/

The best one is at Fort Lee, where all the stuff from the Aberdeen proving ground has been moved. This is comparable to Bovington, Saumir, Thun, Kublinka etc with an awful lot of WW2 German Stuff. It is not open to the public!
Crikey, you really know your stuff! Trying to fit Boston in along the way but looking it might have to be a seperate trip as cannot find flights between toronto and boston. DD would probably struggle with a three centre stop.
Old 5 Oct 21, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Crikey, you really know your stuff! Trying to fit Boston in along the way but looking it might have to be a seperate trip as cannot find flights between toronto and boston. DD would probably struggle with a three centre stop.
Plenty of flights, direct from mainly Pearson (the big airport) and also Billy Bishop.

Maybe you are simply looking too far ahead right now.

Hope it helps!

Edited at 06:57 PM.
Old 6 Oct 21, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

I also would not base myself at the airport. There are plenty of hotels where everything is walkable. If you like museums, there is the ROM, the Art gallery of Toronto and the Bata shoe museum. Case Loma and the CN tower are worth visiting. I have given a list of stuff to do on another Toronto thread posted this morning if you are interested. The last time we visited the zoo they had bears.

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List