Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Oct 21, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

Anyone been to Oslo?

We had to cancel some Ryanair flight to Spain due to Covid and have transferred them to a 3 nights trip to Oslo just before Christmas. It’s not somewhere I had planned on going and was chosen solely because of the flight times to get the most out of a short trip and the fact testing is not required.
Has anyone been and can tell me anything about it?
I need advice on what area to stay in, what to do when there (sightseeing and Xmas market hopefully) and getting from the airport to the centre. We are travelling with two teens aged 15 and 16. I know absolutely nothing about Oslo at all, so any help at all would be appreciated.
Katnic1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Hi,

For hotels I'd look around the National Theatre area which is well located to the fjord and the main central shopping area and other tourist sites (have stayed at the Radisson Blu just the other side of the Royal Palace a couple of times and that's an easy walk to many places).

From the airport there are trains and taxis (not sure about buses). The dedicated flytrain goes every 10 mins or so but is quite expensive at about £15 each. Regional trains are about half this.

There's a christmas market right in the centre and plenty of other sights to see - museums (nobel prize museum and Munch gallery for example) as well as the fjord of course. I'm not too familiar with these as have only ever been on business.

If you didn't already know be prepared that prices are high for many things including food and drink - around £8/9 for a pint when I was last there.

It's a beautiful city and one I fully intend to have leisure trip to at some point.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Katnic1
Imagineer

Thank you. I did read about how expensive it is to eat and drink there! I’m hoping for a bit of snow to put us in the Christmas spirit.
Katnic1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve been to a couple of museums in Oslo - a ship museum with the Kon Tiki raft on display which was really interesting & a small museum about Amundsen’s trek to the South Pole. That one is up by the Olympic ski jump just on the outskirts of the city.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List