Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 18 Jan 18, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
One small note of caution. DD regularly gets stuff shipped over from US and recently HMR&C have started adding VAT to everything meaning the post office can't deliver it. So I'm having to collect her parcels, pay the VAT and the £8 handling charge from the post office!
Thanks for this I have placed an order with the lady mentioned above for my item, worth a try to see how it goes, if it ends up too pricey may not order again but nice to know there's a way to get things from the parks
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow! £8 seems steep for a handling charge. I'm in the process of ordering something as well. Will report back with how I get on.

Probably a good thing in my case to have a little HMRC & PO sting in the tail otherwise I'd be ordering rice Krispy Mickey heads coated in m&ms every week! 🐷🐷🐷
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tco200
Imagineer

I'm probably going to end up paying double what I would out there with shipping and fees for this jersey but my wife loves the one she has and the new colour is lovely - and she'd see it if I ordered from eBay as we share an account lol
Tco200 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 18, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

One small note of caution. DD regularly gets stuff shipped over from US and recently HMR&C have started adding VAT to everything meaning the post office can't deliver it. So I'm having to collect her parcels, pay the VAT and the £8 handling charge from the post office!
This isn't recent; customs duty has been payable on imported goods for many years.
Sometimes the custom duty & associated fees mean it is very uneconomical to buy from the US in this way.

Edited at 11:37 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tco200 View Post
Thanks for this I have placed an order with the lady mentioned above for my item, worth a try to see how it goes, if it ends up too pricey may not order again but nice to know there's a way to get things from the parks
Hi!

I was just wondering how this went? Did it cost a fortune in the end?

Many thanks

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just paid £19 tax & handling charge on an order of about £60. I knew to expect it as recently this seems to be happening more frequently - we order a fair bit from the USA & almost always pay tax now but didn't so often a couple of years ago.
Old 12 Oct 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

the £8 handling fee is way over the top
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 18, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

If the value on the package is under £15 you do not pay the VAT (and PO handling fee), or £39 if it has been sent as a gift.
Softy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 18, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Alidoll
Chilling at Carribean Beach

It’s s bit hit and miss with customs / duty and also depends on what’s purchased from past experience.

Kids cloths tend to be exempt as are books (though was charged once for a book as they had written “art of Disney book”and customs only saw the word art so charged £8 by Royal Mail plus £18 for the customs.

Also depends how much the person has valued the item. If they say it’s worth £12 for example you normally won’t get charged. HOWEVER, if the package is lost or they reevaluate the cost, you’ll be the one in trouble not the sender so if something expensive to send, best ask for them to disclose the actual price for shipping.
Alidoll is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List