Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Feb 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile Big Island, HI

Hi all

Anyone been? Thinking about two nights Volcano (flying into Hilo) and five nights South Kohala. Flying out from Kona.

(Would be part of a longer trip around the islands but I have those sorted, I think).

Or: is Kauai better?

(We will also be going to Oahu and Maui, but know what we are doing with those - just mentioning in passing for context!)

Thanks!

Karen
Old 11 Feb 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi all

Anyone been? Thinking about two nights Volcano (flying into Hilo) and five nights South Kohala. Flying out from Kona.

(Would be part of a longer trip around the islands but I have those sorted, I think).

Or: is Kauai better?

(We will also be going to Oahu and Maui, but know what we are doing with those - just mentioning in passing for context!)

Thanks!

Karen
Hi Karen 🙂

I know lots of people rave about the big island, but we were kind of indifferent to it!

We MUCH preferred Kauai!

But I guess it all about individual preferences - I loved the beauty of Kauai (think opening scenes of Jurassic Park!) compared to what we saw on the big island - but we only really travelled to see the volcano, and I can only really remember it feeling barren and grey (but my memory is appalling these days and it is 18 years since we visited!). But I’m in no rush to return, whereas I’d love to go back to all of the other islands.

Someone on here (I can’t remember who now!), absolutely adores the Big island, so it’s very possible that you will too - perhaps you’ll need to visit both to make up your own minds! 😉
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Hi Karen 🙂

I know lots of people rave about the big island, but we were kind of indifferent to it!

We MUCH preferred Kauai!

But I guess it all about individual preferences - I loved the beauty of Kauai (think opening scenes of Jurassic Park!) compared to what we saw on the big island - but we only really travelled to see the volcano, and I can only really remember it feeling barren and grey (but my memory is appalling these days and it is 18 years since we visited!). But I’m in no rush to return, whereas I’d love to go back to all of the other islands.

Someone on here (I can’t remember who now!), absolutely adores the Big island, so it’s very possible that you will too - perhaps you’ll need to visit both to make up your own minds! 😉
I didn’t realise you’d been!

Did you visit the BI West Coast ? I’m expecting barren in Volcano...

When we went a few months ago we were absolutely bowled over by Maui. And didn’t expect to be! We didn’t go to BI so are wanting to try somewhere new (though we are going back to Oahu and Maui too).

Haven’t seen you guys for ages - let’s make a date?
Old 11 Feb 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
I didn’t realise you’d been!

Did you visit the BI West Coast ? I’m expecting barren in Volcano...

When we went a few months ago we were absolutely bowled over by Maui. And didn’t expect to be! We didn’t go to BI so are wanting to try somewhere new (though we are going back to Oahu and Maui too).

Haven’t seen you guys for ages - let’s make a date?
Steve and I did a Hawaiian cruise before the boys were born from Vancouver finishing in Honolulu.

We docked in both Hilo and Kona - all I particularly remember about Kona is eating in Bubba Gumps by the seashore! It was also a very blustery day, so my overriding memories of the Big Island are that it wasn’t tropical like the others!

But equally you need to bear in mind I was there for probably 6-7 hours nearly twenty years ago and I barely remember what I did a fortnight ago these days! 😉 it’s more a feeling I’ve carried with me that I don’t need to return, whereas I’d love to go back to Maui and Kauai one day. So it’s a ‘take it with a pinch of salt’ opinion! Probably not much help! Lol!

Yes we should get together and I’ll see if I can dig out some photos - it must be your turn to come to us and I’m sure the girls would like to see the dog - I’ll pm you x
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The Big Island is my favourite place. There are two sides to it and 12 climate zones. It has so much to do. While I love the Aulani resort (Disneys best) Oahu is not a patch on the big island.

The BI has more rainforest than the other islands, along with active volcanoes in the national park, Submarine trips to coral reef, turtles and seals on almost every beach, the observatories at the top of the tallest mountain on the planet (if you include the bit below the water

Its so nice there!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
The Big Island is my favourite place. There are two sides to it and 12 climate zones. It has so much to do. While I love the Aulani resort (Disneys best) Oahu is not a patch on the big island.

The BI has more rainforest than the other islands, along with active volcanoes in the national park, Submarine trips to coral reef, turtles and seals on almost every beach, the observatories at the top of the tallest mountain on the planet (if you include the bit below the water

Its so nice there!
I knew you’d come along at some point - I couldn’t for the life of me remember your user name in my old age! 😉
Old 13 Feb 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I knew you’d come along at some point - I couldn’t for the life of me remember your user name in my old age! 😉
Sorry I took so long
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post

Its so nice there!
I thought Oahu was not a patch on Maui, so I'm looking forward to Big Island! We are only going back to Oahu because Aulani is 'free' and I want to repeat the best night out I've ever had (Hallowe'en in Waikiki Beach!) and we have coincidentally picked that exact week. So, fate dictated a repeat visit there!

Would you split the stay 2 and 4 or 3 and 4 or 2 and 5? I figured 2 nights should be enough for VNP but not sure.