Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jan 18, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
winniethepooh
Excited about Disney

Arrival in LA

Hello, I have just booked our flights for June and the flight is due to land at 13.15
I'm just wondering if its a good idea to do any sight seeing that afteroon/evening or do you generally feel exhasted?
Also, I have had a thought about booking a disney hotel so we can view the fireworks on July 4th, does this sound like a good plan? We had thought about been in Las vegas for july 4th but I have gone of that idea.
Many thanks
winniethepooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi not sure you realise the size of LA , it can take a couple of hours to go places, even a shot distance. It's 100 miles across
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

Have you got an itinerary or any hotels booked yet? That might give us more idea on what to suggest for when you arrive.

I've started off my LA trips with 3 nights at Disney to take advantage of the time difference and that worked well. On the first afternoon we've got there about tea time (immigration, hire car and traffic usually adds a few hours on), checked in, gone to Walmart, gone for something to eat and then gone to bed about 9pm. We've then got up early for opening.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile

Hi... It will be difficult but doable. Of course there is the tine difference, but also note that after you land expect 1-1.5 hours though the airport (maybe more depending on immigration) plus up to a couple of hours to even go around 30 miles like we did.

You may not be getting to the hotel till 5-6 ish earliest...

We walked down to Venice beach and back to SM pier... Nice chilled evening
Old 2 Jan 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Do you mean you want to watch the fireworks from a room in a Disney hotel? If so, be aware the views are not the same as they are in MK, and I think the cost will be very high on July 4th.

There are very close hotels to the parks that are not Disney (some are closer than the Disney hotels!) and some have rooftop viewing areas for fireworks
Old 2 Jan 18, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
winniethepooh
Excited about Disney

sorry i didn't explain myself very well!
The plan is to stay someone central and if we are not too tired I was considering going to the Hall of Fame or the griffith observatory. Nothing too much but wasnt sure if we would just want to crash at a hotel.
I have seen a price that Im happy with at a disney hotel and it says you can view the fireworks on the roof.
If anyone has any other suggestions for where to go on the 4th July would be good to hear them.
We love Disney but have decided that we are not actually going into the parks on this trip so we said about going to Downtown Disney and maybe do a character meal if thats possible, so from that I then went on to look at staying at the hotel so we can have a small dose of the disney magic!

Edited at 10:22 PM.
winniethepooh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Griffith Observatory would be nice and quite doable if you are staying nearby. It’s only 20 mins from Hollywood. It is closed on Mondays though. The last planetarium show is about 6.45pm. It nice just wander about up there though - stunning views.

If you are nearer the coast, then I’d suggest a beach walk and dinner. Santa Monica pier is fun but I’m not a big fan of Venice (especially at night).

The Walk of Fame can be a bit full on if you are tired - it’s manic and full of crazy (the dwarf Donald Trump impersonator won for me this time!). I love it but have to be in the mood - if you can laugh along with the sheer weirdness of it all you will enjoy it more. After a long flight and feeling tired, you may not be impressed with Spider-Man and Darth Vader duelling it out with foam swords as you transverse your way!
rusty30 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

We find that you are not too tired after the outbound flight. We are going out in September and will just go for a walk down the seafront, have a couple of drinks and in bed for 11.00 ish...
We are only staying 20 mins from the airport.
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not really a 'central area' in LA. First time I went in 89 we booked through Virgin and got cheap park tickets. Had to pick them up the first morning in another Virgin hotel. Asked the guy on reception how to get to the other hotel. He said 'oh it's just down the road' and drew me a map.

Didn't look far but 2 hours later we arrived at the hotel. Rep was just leaving but we got our park tickets. She then proceeded to tell me about the driving distances and times in LA.
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List