Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 Feb 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Support for 10 year old with arthritis at Disney parks

Hi. My daughter has arthritis which affects her knees quite badly. While she can generally walk well, standing in queues and walking long distances is going to be challenging. Is there any support she can get at the Disney parks? She won’t need a mobility scooter but may use crutches if tired. I’ve had a look at the Disney site but can’t find anything specific on this.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

She will qualify for a DAS card, which means she can queue virtually rather than in main queue. You pick it ip at guest services. Just ho in and explain her need and they give you the DAS card ( or put it on your magic bsnd). You approach a ride and they give you a return time, you then come back and enter through the fp queue.

There is lots of advice in the dibb spec needs section.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

As above. Inability to queue qualifies you for a DAS card.

Go to Guest Services on arrival (all of your party must be present) and it will added to her Magic Band and all other party members linked to it.

Any person from the party can go to the FP entrance for a ride and obtain a return time on the DAS. It’s linked electronically and you can only have one at a time.

When the time rolls around, return to the FP entrance but the DAS holder must tap their band first and all other party members follow them through the FP line.

You can still have normal FP+ in addition to DAS.
Old 19 Feb 18, 04:20 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I am pretty sure mobility issues do not qualify you for a DAS pass. I believe they will advise you to use a wheelchair as the vast majority of queues are accessible now.

If she struggles at all a park like EPCOT would be very difficult for her. I would think crutches would be exhausting for her. Many people use wheelchairs in the parks despite normally managing without them.
Old 19 Feb 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
You can try for a Das pass but usually, mobility issues are not covered its for people who cannot queue for reasons like Autism or if you need to leave the queue quickly etc. They may say hire a wheelchair.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for your replies. I’ll see if I can find out more before we go but start preparing for the possibility of needing a wheelchair. Either that or taking it very very slowly...not easy when it’s a first visit and there’s so much to do!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

My daughter has JIA and hyper-mobility which started to raise its head about the same age. She was very stubborn and refused to use a chair but with all the walking and the heat her joints started to swell and became very painful, once she agreed to use a chair everything became a lot easier for her (and us). This was 15 years ago and they had a pass then which allowed her to use a different entrance, sometimes it acted a bit like a fast pass other times we had to wait much longer as some rides were only allowed so many people at a time with a physical impairment. Disney were fantastic with her. You can hire chairs from companies in the area or rent one at the parks. Tell her to pretend she's a Princess in a carriage . Hope you all have a lovely time .
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Conno
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Woody1103 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I’ll see if I can find out more before we go but start preparing for the possibility of needing a wheelchair. Either that or taking it very very slowly...not easy when it’s a first visit and there’s so much to do!
I notice this is your first trip - and want to make sure you're aware of just how much walking is involved. I average 12.5 miles a day while I'm there -- and that's just the Magic Kingdom. It can be even more at a park like Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

A few years ago, I took my Nan who has had her hips replaced due to arthritis. She ended up with a scooter on day 2 and couldn't have been happier.

Crutches would be exhausting for anyone doing that kind of distance in the parks. Would advise having a wheel chair on standby. Even if you park it up somewhere for half the day, and leave it until you need it (there's many locations around the parks where you can park scooters, wheelchairs, prams, etc).

Lots of websites out there rent them for a reasonable rate and will deliver them to you, and pick them up at the end of your holiday (even easier if staying at Disney hotel).

Edited at 12:04 AM.
Conno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Ahhh poor girl, i really hope Disney can help you with a pass to ease queuing,i think they should!..I work on a Rheumatology ward so i understand!
I can imagine her not wanting to use a wheelchair..You will need plenty of breaks & resort time!, Good luck with pass
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 03:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

OP, please tell your daughter there is no need to try and avoid using a wheelchair. My DD uses one full time at the moment so we really notice them in the parks. There are many children using rental wheelchairs in the parks due to injuries or medical conditions that make the huge distances impossible for them to walk. There are even numerous cast members who are full time wheelchair users.

My DD has a DAS pass due to autism and issues with being surrounded by people in long queues. It is NOT because she is a wheelchair user with mobility issues. I honestly can not imagine your daughter enjoying her time in the parks if she tries to walk all day. It will be much cheaper to rent one from an outside company instead of daily in the parks. If you are driving just the walk from the car to the end of the row to get on a tram can be quite long.