Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Oct 17, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
Thank you, this really is very useful - can I ask if you had a hire car or did you use public transport please?

I think we will go for the 4 nights and decide what to do with the other 3 - only want to do two locations in the last week.

Can I ask if you swam in the sea or is it too chilly? I know it is not going to be like Miami or the Gulf Coast but I don’t know if it is even worth considering?
We didn't hire a car. The bus and tram system is good in SF and the main part is walkable, just watch out for the hills :pig: My trip report for the more recent trip to SF to see how we managed. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=982145

Didn't brave the sea in SF. We paddled in Santa Monica and San Diego and to us it was pretty chilly.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi,
Thank you for your advice and replying.
I haven’t looked into Pismo Beach? Is there enough to do for 3 nights please? I have two DSs who will be 19 and 17.
We only had one night in Pismo Beach but wished we had planned two. Not sure there is much to do, we just relaxed there as so many of the places we visited were full on all the time. I think we need another holiday to recover Our hotel was right on the beach and it was just nice to paddle in the sea and chill for a bit. Had an amazing meal at Ventana Grill.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

We didn't think much to Pismo Beach at all, one night was a night we'd rather have spent elsewhere. Couldn't contemplate wasting 3 there. I'd look more at Santa Barbara for a couple of nights.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Twiggy1953 View Post
Not wanting to rain on your parade so to speak but you really do seem to be spending a lot of time driving. For a start whatever google or mapquest say about driving times you can usually double it. And you will want to stop- a lot -or what’s the point. Also if your going to Bryce Canyon you really can’t miss Zion. Its beautiful and definitely worth a couple of days. We’ve also done Yellowstone on a separate trip flying into Jackson’s Hole. It is a huge area. To see it properly you need at least a week.
Yep I agree about the driving, I've said it often on here.

We do the same drives every year know the roads well and they are never as quick as what google suggests.. always 60-90 mins longer ..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I personally wouldn't spend 2 nights at Bryce unless you're planning on doing lots of trail hiking. Think about a night at Zion instead, it's less tan 2 hrs away and it's totally stunning. I wouldn't only stay one night in Vegas either but that's just me!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
New Plan - All booked!

Hi,
Thought I would update you all with our new plan - thank you for contributing - I appreciated all the comments and it made us re-evaluate what we wanted from our holiday.

We are now flying into Las Vegas.

6 nights - Las Vegas
Flying to Salt Lake City
1 night - Salt Lake City
3 nights - Yellowstone
Flying to - San Francisco
3 nights - San Francisco
4 nights - Yosemite
Fly home from SFO

I haven’t booked any passes, tours or anything else yet - things to do would be greatly appreciated.

I know my DSs will want to do some exploring and trails - hence the visits to Yellowstone and Yosemite.

We will visit Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon during the stay in Vegas.

It’s changed quite a lot!
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Your new plan looks great. We drove to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam and absolutely loved it. In San Francisco I'd definitely recommend Dylan's Tours for a tour around the city, we didn't do the Muir Woods one but we thoroughly enjoyed the 2 1/2 hours on the bus that we did do. I'd also recommend the night tour of Alcatraz - it was amazing.

I would love to be doing our trip all over again this year, it's a distant memory now.
Old 13 Feb 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Your new plan looks great. We drove to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam and absolutely loved it. In San Francisco I'd definitely recommend Dylan's Tours for a tour around the city, we didn't do the Muir Woods one but we thoroughly enjoyed the 2 1/2 hours on the bus that we did do. I'd also recommend the night tour of Alcatraz - it was amazing.

I would love to be doing our trip all over again this year, it's a distant memory now.
Hi there,

Did you drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas? Is it doable in a day? Not sure yet, how to plan this one.

Lots of people recommend Dylan’s Tours - thanks - will have a look at this. Will the DSs 19 and 17 enjoy this?

Alcatraz night tour - thanks for the recommendation- hoping to book this too!

Thanks,
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

I would take spend 4 nights in San Fran, add a night to Las Vegas and go to Monterey for 2. We only spent 1 night in Monterey and was our only regret of the holiday, it should have been 2. 4 nights in San Fran is plenty to get main sights done.
Definitely do the Alcatraz Night tour- awesome!
ETA: ignore that as I did not see your updated plan, was going off the earlier post

Edited at 11:44 PM.
tinytots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 01:54 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Hi there,

Did you drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas? Is it doable in a day? Not sure yet, how to plan this one.

Lots of people recommend Dylan’s Tours - thanks - will have a look at this. Will the DSs 19 and 17 enjoy this?

Alcatraz night tour - thanks for the recommendation- hoping to book this too!

Thanks,
Depends which rim.

The West Rim is only 2.5 hrs each way so easily done in a day even with a stop at the Hoover Dam.

South Rim is 4-4.5 hrs each way so a much longer day.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List