Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 31 Dec 17, 01:52 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Gin and tonic, it’s the quinine in the tonic that does it, but tonic water is bloody awful on its own
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Susu
VIP Dibber

Susu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We take enteric coated peppermint oil, one a day, starting three days before we go. Apparently, the peppermint oil comes out in your skin and the mosquitoes don’t like the smell so won’t bite.

Holland and Barrett used to sell these and were great value but they haven’t been in stock for months now. Boots do a version called Colpermin £20 for 100 capsules which is more than enough for our holidays and is well worth it as a deterrent.
Susu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

It might be coincidence but I haven’t been bitten since I started taking meds for my type 2 diabetes. Before that I was a juicy target for every mosquito within a one mile radius !

The only time I’ve been bitten since then is on the plane en route to Orlando, on my big toe. It made me feel really ill for a couple of days and had difficulty walking so I think it was a more vicious beast.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I like either Jungle Formula wipes or spray. But to stop the itching I use After Bite. It needs two applications in quick succession but for me it works a treat.

We were in Thailand a few years ago and eating our evening meal at an open air restaurant on the beach. I had applied my JF wipe and slipped the wipe back into its pouch, instead of throwing it away, putting the pouch into my bag. The plastic table cloth was a magnet for mosquitoes, so out came the wipe, which I moistened with the condensation from the drinks glasse. I wiped the table cloth and that was the last we saw of the mossies.

Edited at 01:29 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

We take vitamin B supplements daily for a month before we go and whilst we’re there. From getting so many bites I get only a couple now.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Jungle Formula and After Bite, and your good to go. If you don't like DEET Jungle Formula do a none DEET version.

Loads of old wife tales around this stuff, some unfortunetly even reported in reputable media... eating garlic, marmite, vit B tablets etc etc...

Edited at 11:54 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Not a prevention but put a spoon in some boiling water and "roll it" or place over the bite for as long as you can stand it. Repeat 2/3 times andlater on if still itchy.

The heat kills the protein which is what causes the itch.

This is a godsend for me as i find cream and antihistamines dont work for me 🤤🤤

Katie
Another way of doing this is just to buy some baking soda based after bite... (or even make your own), all natural, itch will almost stop instantly.

Heat can actually increase itching. natureasia/en/nmiddl...eeast.2012.155
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Is there going to be mosquitoes!? I've only been before once in November and didn't notice any. I'm back in May and now a bit terrified. They love me I take quite a bad reaction to them too and they're big massive red ring/circles around the bite.
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Traincrashing View Post
Is there going to be mosquitoes!? I've only been before once in November and didn't notice any. I'm back in May and now a bit terrified. They love me I take quite a bad reaction to them too and they're big massive red ring/circles around the bite.
I didn’t get any bites for years but last time I went I got covered in them and they itch like crazy.
Old 16 Jan 18, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve Florida
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Traincrashing View Post
I've never been bitten in Orlando but in Sarasota they were rife.
Steve Florida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List