Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Feb 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleT
Getting Excited

Car Hire

We are looking at hiring a standard SUV picking in up in San Fran after our 3 night stay and returning to Las Vegas airport. I had budgeted £500 for car hire but the best price I can find for 18 nights is £704
If we hand the car back when we get to Vegas, it reduces the rental cost to £570 so my question is how necessary is a car in Vegas ? It will be our last 3 nights during August if that makes a difference ?
MichelleT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbell59a
Very Serious Dibber

Try Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire. His customer service is great. We used him for our Florida car hire last year, he was fab during the problems caused by the hurricane. We are using him again for our LA / Vegas trip this year.
Old 9 Feb 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
kllbc
Helping Mickey

Also take a look at booking Avis through the BA site. We've booked 2 standard SUVs. The first one is for 8 nights picking up in Vegas and dropping off in San Fran. Then we fly to LA and pick up our second one for 12 nights. So 20 nights for £540 in total. This is end June and into July.

As to whether the car is necessary to your time in Vegas, I think this depends on what you want to do whilst there. If you're planning on staying around the strip then you can probably do without. Uber and Lyft are very popular ways of getting around. As a family, we prefer to have the convenience of a car for any impromptu trips out and about.
Aug14 - Turtle Villa at Eagle Pointe. Aug15 - Beach Club resort, Hard Rock Club, Sunset Lakes, A of A. Apr16 - Disney Springs, Bradenton Beach, International Drive. Aug16 - Saratoga Springs, Hard Rock Club. Aug17 - NYC, Old Key West, Regal Oaks. Oct17 - International drive, Bradenton Beach, Disney Springs.
Jun18 - West Coast Roadtrip!

Edited at 11:48 PM.
kllbc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn't not have a car in Vegas, but then we do stuff of the strip.. in the August heat it may well be useful to have a car and what you save on car hire you could end up spending on Uber etc
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleT
Getting Excited

Thanks for your replies, I tried Andy and he gave me a better price with Hertz than I had been quoted with Virgin. Still deciding on the car in Vegas though, it will be late Thursday when we get there and we leave on Sunday lunchtime for our flight home so will only have 2 days there realistically. As it's such a short time I can't see us venturing far from the strip as I'm sure there'll be lots there to keep us occupied for 2 full days. Tryng to save money where we can as it's turning into a very expensive trip
MichelleT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannine
Excited about Disney

Hi, Don't keep the car in Vegas. You have to pay for parking, driving down the strip is worse than driving around the M25, you spend so much time stopping for the lights.
Use the taxi's, Uber & bus in Vegas
Old 21 Feb 18, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I would'nt have a car in Vegas. Just returned after 14 nights there, and have been several times before. We had a car for a 2 day GC trip and took it back. Honestly you dont need a car for Vegas itself. Driving and parking is more of a nightmare for us as well as expensive. I have mobility issues and we walk everywhere. We love Uber for the airport etc. Reliable and cheap. You will find more than enough to do with your short time on the strip.

Edited at 06:43 PM.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn’t not have a car in Vegas , 10th trip next week and we go for 10-12 days and a car is a must for us .

There are places to park for free still in all areas of the strip and the driving is nothing like being on the M25 if the strip is busy there are quieter roads to use that run parallel to it .

I doubt we will spend anything on parking over the 10 days we are there .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Michelle are you staying on the strip in Vegas?
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We have a car from budget hire off Union Sq at Howard St at Easter. Picking up as we leave San Francisco and leaving at LAX after 11 days. That came in a £273 and then I got a further £22 off by booking through my employers discount scheme. That is a Quashkai or similar .

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List