Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Feb 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Help planning Yosemite

Hi

We will be travelling to Yosemite from San Fancisco after collecting our car on a Friday morning. We are staying at Valley Lodge for Friday and Saturday night before travelling on to Vegas.

I have been trying to work out our Yosemite itinerary so I can make some advance bookings. The last Valley Floor tour appears to be at 3pm. Does anyone who has travelled this route think that will be achievable (thinking we might not be able to collect that car until 9?).

Is the Glacier point bus tour also worth doing (was thinking bus one way and 'hiking' back as it suggests you can do)

And, never having been before, does 'hiking' mean we will need to take walking boots etc. Or would a decent pair of trainers be sufficient?

Also, does Valley Lodge have a reasonable place to eat (thinking one night here/ one night eating in half dome?)

Sorry for all the questions.Thanks in advance everyone!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Is Valley Lodge the one actually in Yosemite? If it is we stayed there last August, loved it! We went on the Valley Floor tour at 5.30pm, there might be a later one when you go, I don’t think it was bookable until the spring. We preferred Half-Dome for food, given the choice I would just use Valley for breakfast, loads more options at Half Dome. We are there at a weekend and it was rammed, so if you are there at the weekend bear that in mind(food queues, bus waits, etc). We left SF(Friday) around 8.30 am, stopped for about an hour on route for breakfast(Tracy? There was a Denny’s) and arrived at the check in desk at 2pm. It was a longer drive than I had anticipated. Our room was ready straight away(had read somewhere that they NEVER let you in your room before 4!) so would have made the 3pm tour. You will love it! If available do the Merced rafting, so relaxing. I just wore Converse to walk around, we are not hikers, just enjoyed the scenery.
Willeve is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi took us just under 4 hours drive from San Fran . Had one stop at a shopping mall for quick snack. Valley floor tour very good, would drive to glacier point . 10,000 feet. For a good walk have a look at the walk up to vernal falls, you walk up about 2000 feet beside the river and then come back down part of the john Muir trail. Leave for vegas via tioga pass stunning.
When are you going as the pass opens very late in the year, last year 29 th June as they where clearing 25 foot snow drifts
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think we did San Francisco to Yosemite in under 4 hours with a stop off en route. We hiked to Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls which is just stunning. We had on hiking boots/shoes but lots of people just wore trainers. We drove to Glacier point at about 7am one morning - totally strange to be up there in minus temperatures when it was in the 30's the previous day in the Valley Floor. So many good walks and the scenery is breathtaking. However, personally, I wouldn't rush back as I was frustrated with how busy it was - so many people just wanting to drive from viewpoint to viewpoint and not actually get out of their cars and walk places to see the beauty of the place.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Is it the Yosemite Valley Lodge in the park you are staying at? If so there is a food court that we found fine for what we needed. It's a bit like the disney hotel food courts. They also have some grab and go fridges both in the food court and in the shop as well as an onsite restaurant. We found the village store in Yosemite Village really handy too with plenty of choices.

For hiking some of the easier trails you will get away with pumps or trainers but if you decided to do 4 mile trail or any of the bigger trails you'll need something with good grip.

I'd definitely recommend the Glacier Point tour. We did it as a return journey but lots of people did the one way and hiked back down. There's a few more details of both the hotel and tours in my 2016 trip report here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=982145
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks everyone, that's all really helpful.

It is the Yosemite Valley Lodge in the park and we will be there 4th and 5th August. I will hang fire a bit and see if the later tour gets added as5.30 would be much better.

We had estimated about 4 to 5 hours from SF so good to hear from those that have done it.

We do really fancy the rafting! I don't think you can book until you arrive in the park though so wasn't sure how easy it would be as conscious it's August and a weekend :-)

Thanks again!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I think rafting is not usually available in August due to dry weather conditions, last year there was loads of snow really late on in the year so obviously more water in the river, we were lucky. We only booked it once we arrived at the desk, highly recommend if you have enough water( we were there around 10/11/12th Aug).
Willeve is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Following this with interest- we are staying outside of Yosemite- cost was too much for us- would you recommend the bus tours or would planning hikes be as good?
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I would recommend doing the Valley Floor tour as it gives you a feel for the place and a “greatest hits” type experience.

The hikes on subsequent days can be as gentle or rigorous as you want them to be.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I would recommend doing the Valley Floor tour as it gives you a feel for the place and a “greatest hits” type experience.

The hikes on subsequent days can be as gentle or rigorous as you want them to be.
Thankyou that’s helpful :-)