Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Feb 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

Grand Canyon West Rim, is it worth it?

As the title says, is the west rim and the skywalk worth it?

We have ruled out the south rim as we can't do it realistically in 1 day, and don't have the time to stay overnight as we're getting married whilst in Vegas and a huge list of things my mum and dad want to see.

I've tried to talk OH round to a helicopter/plane trip but he point blank refuses to get into a small plane.

naomi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
nursetina
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm off to vegas first time in 3 weeks. I was looking at going to grand canyon, west rim as our time is very limited, however following some excellent advice on here and doing lots of research, I have changed my mind. We are saving grand canyon for our next trip when we will have more time and can do south rim with an overnight stay.
This trip we are hiring a car for 24 hrs (£33) which is far cheaper than the coach trips on offer. We are going to drive to Hoover dam, then up past lake mead to the valley of fire. After that if enough time we are going to drive down to red rock canyon and stop on way back into Vegas at the welcome to vegas sign. Most people rate vof as amazing, and we can stop wherever and whenever we like.
nursetina is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

When you go and view the Grand Canyon,you will be nothing other than GOBSMACKED,you will find it hard to believe it’s actually real,I would go back in a flash,to merely stand there in awe,no matter east ,west or whatever,just go,you won’t regret it,maybe handy to bring a pair of binauculars with you, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

Excellent, thank you both.

We didn't do it last year as we knew we would be back, but I don't think my mum and dad will visit Vegas more than the one time, they love Florida and European beach holidays too much.

We have a car for our full trip so no worries about that. Hoover dam already pencilled in for the day after the wedding. Red Rock first morning for sunrise as we did last year, Amazing!

naomi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

If you can't get the the south rim, the west rim is still very much worth a visit and you will be impressed by it.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We have been to the west rim and It’s still impressive ,

We did the helicopter trip where you get to land for 30 mins or so .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WalesAndy
Excited about Disney

I wouldn't do it if it didn't involve a helicopter trip at some point, either down the canyon or to the canyon, otherwise the views aren't great at the west rim unless you want to get really close to the edges with nothing stopping you from falling off. There's also not much around, we did 4 hours there and couldn't wait to get back to Vegas to be honest.

As for the sky walk... I'll ride any coaster in Orlando but I would never do that sky walk again... FRIGHTENING!

(Having said all this, I have only been once so maybe I missed a few things)
WalesAndy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by WalesAndy View Post
I wouldn't do it if it didn't involve a helicopter trip at some point, either down the canyon or to the canyon, otherwise the views aren't great at the west rim unless you want to get really close to the edges with nothing stopping you from falling off. There's also not much around, we did 4 hours there and couldn't wait to get back to Vegas to be honest.

As for the sky walk... I'll ride any coaster in Orlando but I would never do that sky walk again... FRIGHTENING!

(Having said all this, I have only been once so maybe I missed a few things)
Thank you, I really want to do the helicopter trip, but OH really isn't having any of it. He's point blank refused to get in one, which is a real shame.

Old 14 Feb 18, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Well there’s nothing to stop you falling off the south rim either

My kids were young when we went to the West Rim 3 &7 and we managed not to let them fall over the edge ;-) and still got some decent pictures.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We also won’t have enough time to visit the South Rim so will be doing the West Rim. The pictures I’ve seen still look impressive and it’s much more do-able in a day.
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List