Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Sep 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Our first went at about 2, our second at 6 months. They have been back many times, lucky little beggars.
Taking them at different ages gives very different things. To be honest, they won't have much of a memory at all, until about 6-7 (and even then not much), although as a parent it was nice to see them enjoying themselves as very little ones (not 6 months he didn't know what was going on).
At around 5, 6-7 they really like seeing the characters.
At 9 ish they still like seeing the character, and going on some more adventurous rides. As they hit 10 they may be going on some coasters, Tower of Terror maybe.
Now mine will be 12 and 15 next. They go on everything- we did all the extreme rides at Hershey Park last year (my son was 10) so everything Disney this year was a walk in the park. My son isn't bothered about having his photos taken, or seeing shows, or characters, he just wants rides. Me and him (he is the 11 year old) were doing single rider at Expedition Everest this year whilst my daughter and Mrs YT went to the Nemo show, we hit it six times in a row.
My older daughter, she is more appreciative of the Disney culture (She wants my DVC when I am gone lol), and she likes the characters still, the atmosphere and the shows. As my son didn't want to hang around for Happily Ever After this year, it was just me and my daughter watching it- same with Rivers of Light.
One day I am sure my daughter will come with a friend and maybe one day with her own kids.
Old 9 Sep 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My eldest has been Tim DLP at age 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9. Youngest was just under 3. Eldest has been to WDW at 3, 7, 8 and 9 and youngest 11 months, 2 and 3. And each trip has been amazing and magical for different reasons. The youngest doesn’t remember WDW or DLP but she loves seeing the photos and it was so sweet seeing her meet the characters and princesses. Last time with the eldest was fab as she could do almost all of the rides.

Hoping to go in 2020 and see it all through older eyes. But I would go back to each of the trips again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy whatever you decide!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think the best age to take them is when they are out of pushchairs and can comfortably walk for a few hours without moaning!
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine will be 3.5 and very nearly 5.
Hope I’ve picked the best time.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We went when my LG was 16 months and she loved it, we have loads of videos and pictures and she always asks to see them and she is nearly 4. We are going again in Nov and our youngest will be 8 weeks old.
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

Everyone is different - I love Disney, its a huge part of my life and I wanted to share it as soon as I could so my daughter has been going since she was 12 months old. I now have another baby and she's going to Florida at 18 months (would have been at 6 months but we had to reschedule do to an injury I had).

We are a family and we travel everywhere as a family, I cannot imagine going anywhere without my kids so why wouldn't I take them to the happiest place on earth?!

I say go for it, it won't be more or less work than holidaying anywhere else and i'd argue with being onsite and free dining its less work. Especially if they are under 9 months and not walking/crawling. Easy peasy!

Congrats on the baby
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile

There really is no right or wrong to this question but I personally don't think it's ever too early to take your children.

DH and I have been to WDW, DLP and DL many times before our little girl arrived and we've made amazing memories but when the opportunity came along to go to WDW as a family of three, we couldn't say no. Yes it was daunting but we always said we'd carry on with our travels regardless of how many children we had in tow. DD was 16 months old and we had the best time. It was hands down our favourite trip so far as it was just so different to all the others. The pace was slower and much more relaxed. We had so much more interaction with characters and cast members. It really was magical!

We're trying to figure out our next trip as we're currently expecting our second baby

Just go for it. You'll have all the photos and videos to look back on and not forgetting the souvenirs haha. We talk to DD about our trip all the time and she loves it. It really is the best
Our little girl arrived March 2016

Mr & Mrs Duck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tolton
slightly serious Dibber

Took our DS at 18 months and then each year since.

His 5th trip is coming up in 4 weeks and change, each has been more magical than the last and we wouldn't change a minute of any of them.

The sooner you go the better!

Edited at 10:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
tolton is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Honestly it's just personal preference, and also depends on what you can afford, Disney is much more expensive now meaning it's best to take advantage cost cutting you can do by taking them when they're under 2. (They're will be plenty pictures of them to look at when they're older, lol!)
My parents took me when I was around almost 5 and I genuinely can't remember anything about it and unfortunately my parents could afford go back until I was 18 which just wasn't the same. Still plenty pictures, even if the quality back then was shocking.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr & Mrs Duck
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AJ- View Post
Honestly it's just personal preference, and also depends on what you can afford, Disney is much more expensive now meaning it's best to take advantage cost cutting you can do by taking them when they're under 2. (They're will be plenty pictures of them to look at when they're older, lol!)
My parents took me when I was around almost 5 and I genuinely can't remember anything about it and unfortunately my parents could afford go back until I was 18 which just wasn't the same. Still plenty pictures, even if the quality back then was shocking.
Agree with all of this.

Taking them under the age of 2 is a big plus cost wise. I went with my parents when I was 12 and I have lots of happy memories from our first trip but I don't remember everything. I just know it was my favourite holiday
Our little girl arrived March 2016

Mr & Mrs Duck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List