Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Nov 18, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Eloise73
Getting Excited

Paying for upgrade on Virgin Atlantic - how?

Can someone explain to me where on the booking page you would see offers to upgrade? I keep reading about people being offered upgrades for specific amounts and was just wondering where on the booking page these appear. I don't think we have been offered anything yet as I just cannot see this option.

We fly in April and are flying Economy Delight, no idea if timing makes a difference.

Can someone explain for me please? Thanks!
Disney Magic Northern Europe - Summer 2022, Disney Magic Staycation, Tilbury - 2021, 2019 - WDW POFQ and Lake Berkley Resort , 2015 - DLP Cheyenne Hotel, 2012 - DLP Hotel L'Elysee, 2010 - DLP Hotel New York, 2008 - DLP Santa Fe, 2006 - WDW AKL and POFQ and offsite at Indian Ridge,, 2005 - WDW Offsite Windward Cay
Eloise73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 18, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It may be because of the type of ticket you have isn't upgradable as not all are
Old 23 Nov 18, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Did you book directly with Virgin Atlantic ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The best route is to give them a call.

As above a lot depends on the ticket type you have. Ticket types vary in their attached terms and conditions. These are based around making changes and flexibility. Some tickets you have flexibility, whereby you can fairly easily (cheaply) change dates names etc, and pertinent to this case upgrade. Other tickets require you to travel in pretty much the exact manner the tickets are bought, party names, size, cabin and dates etc or you lose your money. Of course most consumers buy simply on price and don't know what type of tickets they are buying. We got caught by this in 2015 when we bought cheapest class of tickets in a Virgin sale at Christmas and then shortly afterwards Mrs Thorpy got pregnant. When awaiting the scans to tell us the due date we knew that if it was at the wrong time we stood to lose 2 grand. As it was we travelled home days before she was too far gone to fly, and our second Daughter was born in the October.

It usually boils down to the dearer the ticket, the cheaper the upgrade.
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Hijacking a bit to ask, if I booked through Virgin Holidays, do I contact VH to ask about upgrading with airmiles or VA?
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
It doesn’t always allow you to upgrade online. It’s never shown up for us and I’ve always had to call or use live chat.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
amarooney
VIP Dibber

amarooney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It may be because of the type of ticket you have isn't upgradable as not all are
Do they have to tell you this or can you work it out yourself?
amarooney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
Hijacking a bit to ask, if I booked through Virgin Holidays, do I contact VH to ask about upgrading with airmiles or VA?
I don't know, but i'd start with the airline. They may offer you something or they may refer you back to VH. If they don't offer you something to your liking, then you can say no and then try VHolidays anyway.
Old 24 Nov 18, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
You have to upgrade through VH.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
U2fan
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
You have to upgrade through VH.
We booked with Virgin Holidays and messaged them a few times (via Messenger) to get quotes to upgrade. Unfortunately it was too expensive, but they were very quick to get back with quotes.
U2fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List