Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 7 May 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Dad Vader
Earning More Ears

Question Which Hotel to book ?

Hi

We're booked to stay at CBR from 20th Sept 2021 for 2 weeks, we've taken the DDP as well but thinking about changing our hotel.

Are we mad ?

Thinking about going to AKL or Wilderness Lodge so changing from a moderate to a deluxe...

It's an extra £1600, question is that is it worth it ? What's your thoughts and have you upgraded ? #helpmeplease

Douglas
Dad Vader is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

No way. That’s over £100/night more and both AKL and WL are in less good locations for the whole of WDW. CBR is probably the best connected moderate now the Skyliner is in.
Old 7 May 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We loved CBR and will definitely go back. Can't wait to try the Skyliner!
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

WL and AKL are both lovely resorts... Last year i booked All star Music for a "budget trip" but by the time my holiday came around i switched first to a moderate then eventually to the Grand Floridian ,my excuse being "i may not go back for awhile!... The GF was lovely,we.. had a great holiday but, was it worth the massive upgrade No!...Every Disney hotel will treat each guest the same whether you stay value or deluxe "unlike here!...We still pushed our own suitcases to our room and given the same map to find the room!... Moderate resorts are very comfy and have nice pools so unless you have loads of money to spend i would say no ,no need to upgrade...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

I have stayed at AKL and loved it but I rate CBR now as it has been refurbed and the best bonus is that it is on the Skyliner !

If you really 'need' to stay at AKL or WL maybe think about 11 or 12 nights at CBR then transfer to AKL or WL. Remember you still have the dining plan on check out/check in day so it is not too many days to pay for food (just in case you weren't aware you will lose the dining plan on a split/2nd stay). We usually do a split stay and love the change of hotel, its easy to do as Disney will move the luggage for you.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
We loved CBR and will definitely go back. Can't wait to try the Skyliner!
The Skyliner is amazing.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dad Vader View Post
Hi

We're booked to stay at CBR from 20th Sept 2021 for 2 weeks, we've taken the DDP as well but thinking about changing our hotel.

Are we mad ?

Thinking about going to AKL or Wilderness Lodge so changing from a moderate to a deluxe...

It's an extra £1600, question is that is it worth it ? What's your thoughts and have you upgraded ? #helpmeplease

Douglas
We usually stay at a deluxe so obviously we have in the past thought that it was worth it. We have decided that next time we will do things a bit more cheaply and go moderate though.

We have stayed at both CBR and WL, CBR was added on for a few days at the beginning as we changed our travel dates.

Personally I would not stay at CBR again, it was too spread out. Our room was about a a fifteen minute walk to the main facilities, which put me off using them as we already walk a lot at WDW. The room was fine although I didn’t get a refurbished one as they put me in a pirate room (booked a normal room). I didn’t mind the room but I would not have liked to have been at that resort for two weeks. I was there just before the Skyliner opened, I think it is something that would put me off rather than encourage me to stay there.

So yes I would certainly think about another hotel. I would pick AKL before WL, we wouldn’t go back there as too many transport issues and in fact we asked to be moved as got so fed up with it. AKL is a resort we always visit, would love to stay there one day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Dad Vader
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
We usually stay at a deluxe so obviously we have in the past thought that it was worth it. We have decided that next time we will do things a bit more cheaply and go moderate though.

We have stayed at both CBR and WL, CBR was added on for a few days at the beginning as we changed our travel dates.

Personally I would not stay at CBR again, it was too spread out. Our room was about a a fifteen minute walk to the main facilities, which put me off using them as we already walk a lot at WDW. The room was fine although I didn’t get a refurbished one as they put me in a pirate room (booked a normal room). I didn’t mind the room but I would not have liked to have been at that resort for two weeks. I was there just before the Skyliner opened, I think it is something that would put me off rather than encourage me to stay there.

So yes I would certainly think about another hotel. I would pick AKL before WL, we wouldn’t go back there as too many transport issues and in fact we asked to be moved as got so fed up with it. AKL is a resort we always visit, would love to stay there one day.
Hi Claudette

I love AK as a park so would love to stay at AKL but I was thinking it was too remote for the rest of the parks ie MK and HS etc. I was leaning towards WL as it's close to MK, what was the transport issues ? If you don't mind me asking ?

Douglas
Dad Vader is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Definitely worth it in our opinion. We loved AKL but bought into DVC at Wilderness Lodge last year and would definitely chose WL out of the 2.
Dazed is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dad Vader View Post
Hi Claudette

I love AK as a park so would love to stay at AKL but I was thinking it was too remote for the rest of the parks ie MK and HS etc. I was leaning towards WL as it's close to MK, what was the transport issues ? If you don't mind me asking ?

Douglas
I often see that comment about AKL and being remote, I don’t understand it as it looks pretty much in the same vicinity as everything else. If anything I would say the MK hotels are furthest away from everything else other than MK itself. Of course if MK is the priority then an MK hotel is worth considering.

The transport to the parks from WL wasn’t too bad other than on the final day when we waited ages with no updates, it was the final straw and prompted us to demand a move. This was after us having issues on numerous days when we were trying to get back to WL. Some days we saw three or four buses to the resort at the next bus stop before anything for WL arrived. We had to get taxis back a few times as we were so fed up with waiting, something I resented as part of the reason we stay onsite is for included transportation.

I am not one that generally complains about the Disney buses, we have never had this type of experience before.

Edited at 11:14 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List