Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Dec 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile Considering taking a newborn... are we mad? !

So we’ve had our holiday for 10th September 2019 in the diary since April and we’ve just found out that I am pregnant with our first- due 4th August. Are we mad to consider still going? Baby will be 5 weeks but I know it could be late so even younger. I know I would have to get it a passport and have looked into the 1 week turnaround passport service.

It will be tricky to move within 2019 as it’s the Yacht club and availability seems really limited on the standard/garden rooms - ours sold out in days in April. Otherwise it would be 2020 but the idea of waiting over a year to go back is depressing us both!

We would be flying business class if that helps. I know that 99% of our family and friends will think we are mad but I wanted the opinions of fellow Disney lovers!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

MAD ! Others will say go
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We took a 12 week old and it was fine. But I think 5 weeks is too young. It could be fine. But you could be talking about a 3 week old and a c.section.

Could you move it back A few weeks if you moved to a different hotel
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Never mind the baby, think about yourself - how would YOU feel flying 5 weeks post-partum? What if baby's late, so there's even less time, or if you need a c-section - would you even be classed as fit to fly, and would you want to, business class or not?

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFoodie
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for thoughts so far! Sadly because of my husband’s work it would be v hard to move back - we would be looking at 2020. If something went wrong & I wasn’t fit to fly, e.g. due to c section I think we would just cancel and claim on insurance (already in place from booking), same as any other illness.
I’m getting the vibe that we are mad though :-( you’re all probably right! We are just addicts and love the idea of getting our fix and introducing our little one to Mickey!
DisneyFoodie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

Mobile

If it’s a c-section experience of the 2 the mrs has had would say you shouldn’t take this risk and you’ll be very sore and unable to walk far.

Think about the stress nearer the time as it gets closer and closer, so you really want or need that?

Wait a year, Disney isn’t going anywhere.
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Go earlier instead and have a pre baby trip.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

I don't think your mad, personally I would see how the pregnancy progresses. I have had two 'c' sections and if you do need one you will not be fit enough to go on holiday after 5 weeks. You won't be able to walk the distance or cope with the rides. A normal delivery you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the age of the baby but I am sure a baby has to be a certain amount of weeks old to fly I would check the small print in the airline conditions. The problem you have is that a lot of people have a great pregnancy but when you go into labour you can all of a sudden need a 'c' section, if this happens I would say it won't be worth you going unless you just want a relaxing holiday. I had complications and needed a blood transfusion so complications are also something to consider. You could sail through the birth and have a super holiday though. it really is like throwing a dice.
Old 19 Dec 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Personally i think Mad, sorry. When my first born was a month old I was just about getting through the day I was so exhausted as we had no routine and I was up 4 or 5 times during the night, the last thing I would have wanted was to be away from home on holiday and feeling I needed to go out every day.
I can understand that you really want to go back however I think waiting a few more months would make a big difference to your enjoyment, congratulations btw 😁
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited83
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Sorry, I think you’re mad too. I absolutely love Disney but there’s no way I’d book that kind of holiday with a newborn. Apart from the fact that you yourself might not feel up to it, the newborn period is so important for bonding and getting to know your baby and I personally would feel a big busy holiday would interfere with that. My third baby is 5months and it felt like he screamed constantly for the first 3-4 months. I could hardly face going into town, never mind flying across the Atlantic! It’s a lot of pressure to put yourself under. I hope you can make the decision that suits you and your family, whatever that might be.
Excited83 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List