Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 May 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
update £80 to alter a dress

I am trying to get my dds bridesmaid dress altered to have it ready in case. its £20 per layer for hem and £20 for the straps, which will be £80. The dress was bought by my sons fiancée and only cost £65, is that about right for the price? It Would be cheaper to buy her dress that fits!

UPDATE a page 52

Edited at 10:01 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Seems a lot to me and no I wouldn’t pay £80 alteration on a £65 dress.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Poohbear62
Proud to wear my Ears

It does seem a lot considering the dress was quite reasonable. Having said that I did pay £150 to have a wedding dress altered. Multi layer hem and side seams taken in and that was 5 years ago.
Poohbear62 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

I do a fair bit of sewing and to get it done properly takes a bit of time, especially if the bodice has to be unpicked to shorten the straps it's a bit high I would have though £50 would be nearer the mark . But because the dress was cheap to buy it doesn't feel right . Do you not have a friend or relatives that could do it for you
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
I would pay £60 which is just under what the dress is worth, my mil does a bit of sewing but we can’t see her!
Old 6 May 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
I’m sorry but this one is very simple, she has given you a price either you pay it or try someone else to see if it’s cheaper or don’t get it done and buy a dress that fits perfectly. If the work will take her 4 hours her rate is £20 per hour if it would take her 8 hours it is £10 a hour. Fixing something and making it look right could take longer than making the dress in the first place.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mazbar View Post
I’m sorry but this one is very simple, she has given you a price either you pay it or try someone else to see if it’s cheaper or don’t get it done and buy a dress that fits perfectly. If the work will take her 4 hours her rate is £20 per hour if it would take her 8 hours it is £10 a hour. Fixing something and making it look right could take longer than making the dress in the first place.
Ok then, I asked about prices as I don’t have a clue!
Old 6 May 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I’m not an expert, but my mum wouldn’t have charged that I’m sure (not that it would be worth your time and fuel to come here for it though) depends on a lot of factors though - my mum could sew dress hem in a few mins on her old industrial machine, but she was taking up a friends bridemaid dress and the fabric would not sew! Took hours of trial and error to get it right (and that’s with her 30+ years sewing experience)
I would get another quote, it doesn’t sound right to me, but you might have to wait to see someone in person.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

ATEOTD it doesn't matter if the dress was £65 or £650 it's still the seamstress time that you're buying. At £65 it would no doubt be cheaper to buy one that fits.

For what it's worth my wife paid £450 to have her day and evening wedding dresses altered.
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My DD’s bridesmaid dress was altered for £30 which included pinning dress and after alteration final fitting to check all ok, hem was slightly adjusted , but done while we waited and she looked beautiful in it
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List