Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Aug 16, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Route from South Rim to Furnace creek

Hi,
We are driving from Maswik Lodge, Grand Canyon South Rim to Furnace Creek in October (just over 6 weeks time ). When I put the route into pretty much any route planner I can it gives me a route via Las Vegas and Pahrump.

Has anyone done this route and not gone near Las Vegas?
I'm looking and there look to be reasonable roads via Bullhead, Baker, then up to Death Valley and then we can come up via Badwater Basin, which I want to go through.

The Vegas/Pahrump route would mean we would have to go down to Badwater and then double back to get to Furnace creek, but may be faster roads overall.

Obviously I can't really judge the best way with a map so if anyone has driven it can you please give me some advice.
Many thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 16, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bill55bill
Proud to wear my Ears

Looking at the map there appears to be a direct road from Badwater to Furnace Creek, I can't remember if I used that. I would look at the National Parks service website and download a map of Death Valley to confirm.

I did your route in reverse and it's by far the quickest way of doing it, still one hell of a drive though!

I did it in August, October should be far more pleasant.
bill55bill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 16, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Belle's Mum View Post
Hi,
We are driving from Maswik Lodge, Grand Canyon South Rim to Furnace Creek in October (just over 6 weeks time ). When I put the route into pretty much any route planner I can it gives me a route via Las Vegas and Pahrump.

Has anyone done this route and not gone near Las Vegas?
I'm looking and there look to be reasonable roads via Bullhead, Baker, then up to Death Valley and then we can come up via Badwater Basin, which I want to go through.

The Vegas/Pahrump route would mean we would have to go down to Badwater and then double back to get to Furnace creek, but may be faster roads overall.

Obviously I can't really judge the best way with a map so if anyone has driven it can you please give me some advice.
Many thanks
I did the Vegas/Pahrump standard route last year.

Are you talking about the 178 and Badwater Road? If you check it out on Street View (Google Maps)... it looks pretty good.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 16, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks.
Forkbeard, did you do Vegas/Pahrump only or were you coming/going from Grand Canyon south rim? Just wondering how long it took you as various planner tools give very varied timings!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 16, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Belle's Mum View Post
Thanks.
Forkbeard, did you do Vegas/Pahrump only or were you coming/going from Grand Canyon south rim? Just wondering how long it took you as various planner tools give very varied timings!
I'm not at my home right now, but I can check and give you my entire route plan if you'd like?!? I think I have times on it.

We did Vegas, South Rim Canyon, Bryce, Zion, back to Vegas and THEN we did Pahrump/Death Valley and onwards north.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 16, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread