Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Nov 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

No planning/building control for conservatory?

Over 20 years ago I put in a small conservatory which is used as a utility room, but it brought me over my permitted development allowance. I called my council planning office last week and the lady I spoke to said that providing I still have the original outside door (to the garden) in my kitchen then I don't need planning permission or involve building control.

I am pleased with her response, but can't find anything online to support this, and I don't always accept what people tell me over the phone as being gospel, so has anyone heard of this rule. I ask because we plan to move in the future and want to get everything in order?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Not sure what your question is? Are you replacing it? If the original structure was over the permitted development allowance then you should have had planning permission when it was first built. The door issue is only a building regs thing as its to do with heat loss etc. If you were removing the internal (originally external) doors your conservatory would become an extension that would require permission under the building regulations.

Edit - lots of good info in the link below...

planningportal

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Juliemack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Over 20 years ago I put in a small conservatory which is used as a utility room, but it brought me over my permitted development allowance. I called my council planning office last week and the lady I spoke to said that providing I still have the original outside door (to the garden) in my kitchen then I don't need planning permission or involve building control.

I am pleased with her response, but can't find anything online to support this, and I don't always accept what people tell me over the phone as being gospel, so has anyone heard of this rule. I ask because we plan to move in the future and want to get everything in order?
When we sold our house 6 years ago this cropped up with a small conservatory/leantoo used like you as a utility boot room with access to the garden.

As it wasn’t “tied” into the existing house walls and had the original back door still in place, it was not deemed anything that needed permissions

But that was over 6 years ago and it’s more anecdotal than law!
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My husband has just built one for his mum and it dyes the need planning permission is it’s an additional room with the kitchen door in place. Also not heated permanently, I.e. central heated plumbing from the main house connected. He has an electric wood burner effect plugged in. The planning rules have been relaxed over the years. You should be fine.
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I have just been looking at planning permission , the house that backs on to us has just built a loft extension which now means from their two loft windows they can now see right into my bedroom window. It seems no planning is needed so I shall have to go and buy a blind (just have curtains) and have my bedroom in constant darkness! I know realistically the chances of them staring out their window into mine may be slim but you never know !
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Chrissie H
Very Serious Dibber

Chrissie H's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Have you checked with the council about this? Although they didn’t need planning permission for the conversion that doesn’t necessarily mean that they can look into your bedroom. My neighbour had to put opaque glass in some of their windows in their conversion because they could see into someone’s bedroom window. They didn’t even realise that they could!
Chrissie H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

The rules for exemption from the building regulations for a conservatory are as follows:

1 - the internal floor area must be less than 30m2
2 - it must be predominantly glazed (including a glazed or polycarbonate roof)
3 - it must be thermally separated from the rest of the dwelling - I.e, the existing external quality doors still in place
4 - it must not be connected in to the main house heating system (I.e only a plug in heater)

It it meets those requirements, it’s exempt

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clamshell View Post
The rules for exemption from the building regulations for a conservatory are as follows:

1 - the internal floor area must be less than 30m2
2 - it must be predominantly glazed (including a glazed or polycarbonate roof)
3 - it must be thermally separated from the rest of the dwelling - I.e, the existing external quality doors still in place
4 - it must not be connected in to the main house heating system (I.e only a plug in heater)

It it meets those requirements, it’s exempt
Thanks for the above because the link I was sent and googling I can't find anything to support what the building control lady told me.

The lady never mentioned about the heating, but fortunately it isn't connected to the house heating system. It's only about 8' square (has the washing machine, tumble drier, freezer etc in there). It's all glass with a poly roof, so sounding positive.

I used up all my permitted development allowance with my loft conversion and small extension.

Thanks again.

To clarify, I am selling the house in the future and wanted to clarify that it won't cause a problem because it's gone over my permitted development allowance, and I thought I might have to apply for retrospective planning permission.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
The planning portal is not an easy website to navigate fro some reason, here's the page that's specific to Building Regs and conservatories...

planningportal/inf...nservatories/3

Btw - permitted development changed a few years ago so your loft extension and any other extensions are not added up in the same way as they used to be. Originally the basic PD limit was 70 cubic metres, that's not the case now.

Edited at 06:38 PM.
Juliemack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Originally Posted by Chrissie H View Post
Have you checked with the council about this? Although they didn’t need planning permission for the conversion that doesn’t necessarily mean that they can look into your bedroom. My neighbour had to put opaque glass in some of their windows in their conversion because they could see into someone’s bedroom window. They didn’t even realise that they could!
If the loft conversion did not need planning permission the Council will have no control over windows.