Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Sep 16, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bee happy View Post
Thanks for your advice Daytonababe it's really helpful.
The only thing holding me back is cost of accommodation now. Done a quick search and coming in at over £1000 for a week around LA and around £1300 for San Fran.
Even looked on Airbnb. We are a family of 5 so always difficult looking for decent price accommodation.
Your probably too early though for decent prices most don't release till a year out and I find hotels are most expensive at that point .

I don't go in summer but I am on the west coast for 3 very busy expensive weekends and I've managed to stick to my budget of £100 per night on average . I also keep checking my hotels and if I find them cheaper I cancel and rebook .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Wishing View Post
Has anyone done this and not used the car hire as we don't really want a car?
We have booked twice with ba using fly drives but not picked up the car (though this was Europe ) and did it with United airlines last year . Not sure why but we prefer Alamo whilst ba use Avis so we just book car separately . Might take car this year if it's a good deal but we normally want a seven seater .
Old 10 Sep 16, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
We have booked twice with ba using fly drives but not picked up the car (though this was Europe ) and did it with United airlines last year . Not sure why but we prefer Alamo whilst ba use Avis so we just book car separately . Might take car this year if it's a good deal but we normally want a seven seater .
Avis have lovely 7 seaters we have a virtually brand new Town & Country from Avis this year .

We've hired cars 15 times and I can say Avis was the best experience we've ever had . No queues no hard sell etc . We were in the car within 20 mins of arriving at Avis .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Avis have lovely 7 seaters we have a virtually brand new Town & Country from Avis this year .

We've hired cars 15 times and I can say Avis was the best experience we've ever had . No queues no hard sell etc . We were in the car within 20 mins of arriving at Avis .
Thanks for that , do they need a credit card for depoist though ? We dont have one and always use debit card for Alamo . I suppose we could get one by next year .
Old 10 Sep 16, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

OMG! Im so tempted to cancel our current flydrive package with Virgin but don't want to lose the deposit. How do BA compare with Virgin for flights and service? never flown to US with BA. Also I know Avis use BA and Ive read lots of bad reports about Avis. We would be going on the dream liner with Virgin. Im going to go look at our dates and see...
Old 10 Sep 16, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinytots View Post
OMG! Im so tempted to cancel our current flydrive package with Virgin but don't want to lose the deposit. How do BA compare with Virgin for flights and service? never flown to US with BA. Also I know Avis use BA and Ive read lots of bad reports about Avis. We would be going on the dream liner with Virgin. Im going to go look at our dates and see...
To be honest, I don't think there's much difference I'm seriously thinking of changing my April package to August as going from Manchester,its the same price. I'll lose my deposit though, but I'll be away for my birthday. . Maybe I should just step away and finish sorting out my present trips,lol!
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
tinytots
Imagineer

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
To be honest, I don't think there's much difference I'm seriously thinking of changing my April package to August as going from Manchester,its the same price. I'll lose my deposit though, but I'll be away for my birthday. . Maybe I should just step away and finish sorting out my present trips,lol!
Haha I know what you mean. Easy to get distracted. I go to Vegas in October and have not even though about that one. This deal looks tempting. I think I would save a grand overall.
Old 10 Sep 16, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Haha I know what you mean. Easy to get distracted. I go to Vegas in October and have not even though about that one. This deal looks tempting. I think I would save a grand overall.
Wow, that's a lot! I would theoretically save if I change about the same as going from London in August to Vegas was over a grand more,so losing my deposit and getting to Manchester, its still a saving,or maybe go to Orlando in August instead and leave April as it is I think I'm hesitant as one of my sons gets his A level results on 17th August, so having to be here on that day means I either go before or a short duration afterwards which either defeats the object,or time wise isn't worth it . Is there cold turkey for holiday addicts I've been going backwards and forwards all day,lol!
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 16, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Thanks for that , do they need a credit card for depoist though ? We dont have one and always use debit card for Alamo . I suppose we could get one by next year .
Debit card is fine, its what we use as we don't use a credit card :-)

They just swiped the card didn't place a hold on any funds.
Old 10 Sep 16, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Over the years I've used all the car hire companies pretty much .

This year we used Avis for the first time as per my post above we couldn't fault them at all. I would be extremely reluctant to ever use Dollar again from LAX based on personal experience.

As for BA v VA .. Well I can't say I was impressed with VA the last few times we flew with them ... We switched to BA/AA and so far its been much better.
Although we book a package with BA we choose which flight serves us best so that's AA going out for the inflight wifi and then coming back we choose BA as its the latest flight out of LAX. So far no complaints about either.
Closed Thread