Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Sep 16, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

Thankyou all for your replies. I've booked a smaller car for when my husband has gone as it will be just myself and my daughter. Its our first time in California and I know nothing so think Im going to be asking lots of questions!
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Exiting Freeways - ensure you know what exit you need - they do not give much warning. They don't have countdown markers like we do.
And as for turning right on a red. Ensure you come to a full stop at the line and check it is safe to turn. Ignore locals who might beep you. Failing to stop carries a heavy fine if you get caught.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

One thing that might help is to have a satnav with you so that you can focus on driving rather than directions and driving. You'll find you'll settle into it after a day so don't worry too much.
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ozzyowl1 View Post
Thankyou all for your replies. I've booked a smaller car for when my husband has gone as it will be just myself and my daughter. Its our first time in California and I know nothing so think Im going to be asking lots of questions!
Is your husband still with you in Vegas ? If so I would practise driving there when he is with you as its pretty easy to navigate the roads in Vegas , and will help build up your confidence.

If you drive past Mandalay Bay past the airport and keep going its a relatively straight road that's not too busy . Its the first place I drove in the USA.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
ozzyowl1
Apprentice Imagineer

If you drive past Mandalay Bay past the airport and keep going its a relatively straight road that's not too busy . Its the first place I drove in the USA.[/QUOTE]

Hi - yes he is, that's great advice thank you. I will just be pottering about really after they have gone home, we're having a few days at Disney and then planning a few beach days so hopefully won't do much driving.

PS any advice on which beach gratefully received!

Edited at 05:35 PM.
ozzyowl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
rusty30
Imagineer

Personally I'd keep the bigger car...I always book an SUV in LA as I feel safer and more confident being a little higher up and in something sturdy!

You'll be fine and after literally minutes you will wonder what you were worried about!
rusty30 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by ozzyowl1 View Post
If you drive past Mandalay Bay past the airport and keep going its a relatively straight road that's not too busy . Its the first place I drove in the USA.
Hi - yes he is, that's great advice thank you. I will just be pottering about really after they have gone home, we're having a few days at Disney and then planning a few beach days so hopefully won't do much driving.

PS any advice on which beach gratefully received! [/QUOTE]

Long Beach isn't too far from Anaheim, I only got to spend 1/2 day there this year but we really liked it and at some point we will go back and stay for a few days.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I also agree about keeping the SUV for higher driving position.

Beaches - you can drive to several of the beaches without ever going on the freeway, same for getting to the airport - have a look at Google maps.
Newport/Huntington/Sunset Beach we have never been to - but like all CA beaches will be very good.
Longbeach - we've been there bit not to the beach, but very good aquarium there.
Further away is Hermosa/Redondo - never been there - and Manhattan Beach - which we think is fabulous, but the ones above are closest to Anaheim.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 16, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread