Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Jul 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Washington & WDW July 2022

Having thought we would not be going to Florida again for a while DD20 has announced she really really wants to go next year! So the only time we could go is in the first half of July. Thinking of having a few days in Washington first and then 2 weeks probably in All Star Music to try and manage costs. Thinking about booking ASM direct and then flights & Washington as a package. Or should I try and book it all as one? Which travel companies have been good to deal with during COVID? Not budgeted for this but hoping around £4.5k if possible as just two of us.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I would book the Disney portion directly with WDTC. They have always been excellent when it comes to amends/cancellations and no exception during Covid.

I haven't personally had to cancel a flight during Covid but from everything I've read on here, BA have been the best and most consistent airline with their refunds. So that is who I am planning to book with for next year. You can do custom trips with them so fly into Washington and out of Orlando, then you just need to arrange the domestic flight separately - would recommend JetBlue or Southwest for reasonable fares.

But 4.5k sounds tight to include Washington as well, I would be budgeting around 3k for two weeks at Disney (just hotel + tickets) so that leaves 1.5k for all flights plus the Washington hotel.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Louiseanne
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks loldis that’s helpful. I think I’ll book the WDW bit ASAP and keep saving for the rest.
Louiseanne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_bell
Imagineer

miss_bell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
I would recommend hotels.com for your stay in Washington, I was able to get three hotel bookings refunded with no issues, (we were doing a road trip last year). When we stayed in Washington we stayed at the Omni Shoreham, it's near the zoo, not far from a metro stop and the old trolley tours has a stop across the road.
1990 Motel 1991 I Drive 1995 & 1998 Villa 2003 Lindfields 2005 & 2007 SL 2005 Bahama Bay 2006 NBH 2008 Liki tiki Resort 2009 & 2018 POFQ 2011 & 2016 Cheyenne 2012 OKW 2013 Coral Cay 2015 SSL 2015 SSR&BCR 2019 WL 2016 & 2022 CSR 2014 & 2023 CBR 2024 ASMU

miss_bell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

As far as I can tell, travel companies that were good during covid are few and far between. People that booked direct seemed to have fared better.

This looks like a trip that woudl be very easy to book separately yourself. I would definitely book ASM directly with Disney and then I normally book hotels directly with the hotel on a flexible rate. However another good idea would be to book the Washington hotel with BA flights, that way you have created a package and will only need to be pay a deposit until much closer to travel day.

I think your budget is a touch light but not too far off. The Disney bit would be £3k, so £1.5k for international flights, the internal flights and a Washington hotel would be a stretch but another £500 could be enough and another £1000 easily enough.

Edited at 02:15 PM.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I'd be looking at a BA booking from London to Washington, flying out of Orlando. Tag on a hotel in Washington to make it a package for the low deposit.

Nearer to the time you can book a one way from Washington to MCO.

We did LGW to MCO then out of JFK. Booked American Airlines from MCO to Washington (about £100 each) then booked a one way Avis from Washington to JFK.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List