Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jul 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

Opinions please on flight times

Hi,

We’re waiting to book our flights for next August and will probably go BA. Looking at the flights next June/July there are flights from Gatwick and Heathrow. One means arriving at Orlando a couple of hours earlier which sounds great. However, it also means leaving Orlando a couple of hours earlier.

In the grand scheme of things it won’t make much of a difference, but what would you choose? Would you prefer to arrive a little earlier and have more time the first evening, or arrive that little bit later but have an extra hour or two on the last day? Cost wise it doesn’t appear to be very different.

Thanks
Old 20 Jul 21, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Hi,

We’re waiting to book our flights for next August and will probably go BA. Looking at the flights next June/July there are flights from Gatwick and Heathrow. One means arriving at Orlando a couple of hours earlier which sounds great. However, it also means leaving Orlando a couple of hours earlier.

In the grand scheme of things it won’t make much of a difference, but what would you choose? Would you prefer to arrive a little earlier and have more time the first evening, or arrive that little bit later but have an extra hour or two on the last day? Cost wise it doesn’t appear to be very different.

Thanks
I would choose which ever departure place you prefer. I think times and departure terminals will probably change several times before next July.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Personally I like arriving later. I don't plan to do anything on the first evening and arriving later means I can just unpack and head to bed. Helps adjust to the time difference too, I rarely get jet lag on the later flight.

Don't find a huge difference on the last day between the flight times, although the few extra hours mean you don't feel like you have to rush back if you do a final half day in the parks.

Although if it was specifically a choice between LHR and LGW, I would go with LGW regardless of time since it's easier for me to get to. Especially for the return.

Edited at 05:41 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Rowlj
Getting Excited

My personal choice would be to arrive in Orlando earlier... doesn't bother me what time we leave.. don't want to go home anyway so no use in prolonging the inevitable 🤣
We usually do a bit of shopping in Walmart and out for dinner on the arrival day.
It's all about personal choice
Rowlj is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Been on both the earlier and later flights. It really doesn’t matter. There are times we’ve gone for the earlier one and immigration has been so busy we’ve gained very little other times it been good.
It’s luck of the draw.
I prefer the later flight coming back as it’s then less of a wait for the internal flight.
As long as I can get my dinner I’m happy.
Old 20 Jul 21, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Steve071
Helping Donald

Depends on who is going. I’ve been a few times as adults with no kids, and we liked to get there in time to drop the bags and get to Epcot for the fireworks on the first evening. However, it does mean being pretty exhausted.

Travelling next year with children for the first time, so we are taking the later flight on the basis that we don’t want to rush around on the first evening, but just get to the hotel, maybe have a beer, or relax by the pool for a bit, then bed. We will then start the parks the following day after a decent nights sleep. Having the later flight back allows for a better last day in the parks, or any last minute shopping.

But as others have said, I understand the different arguments and perspectives.
Steve071 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

After years of booking whichever the earliest flight out of London was, we had an exceptionally late (for us!) flight home from LA one year and it was by far the best transatlantic flight we’ve ever had - I think because we didn’t take off until US bedtime, we slept for the entire flight (usually from Orlando we had flown home at around 6pm and then because we were so in US time, we’d be falling asleep just before we were due to arrive in the Uk).

After that LA experience, I now opt for whichever flight home gives me the latest departure time - makes for a much better sleep on the overnight return - for us at least 👍

Edited at 06:52 PM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsd
Trying for More Ears

Thank you! Gatwick or Heathrow doesn’t make much difference to us. The last I flew out of either was 9 years ago and we have to drive around 5 hours to reach both (roughly). I do like your reasonings for both timings though…..time to think!
Old 20 Jul 21, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The time we flew BA we got into Orlando around 3pm. This was a real novelty for us as we normally fly Aer Lingus who don't land till around 6pm. Def felt the benefit of the extra few hours. Going home day 🥲 for us is just that for us. Up, out of villa, brekkie in Bob Evans then pass some time b4 heading to airport. For us would prefer the earlier flight on arrival day!
Old 20 Jul 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
Thank you! Gatwick or Heathrow doesn’t make much difference to us. The last I flew out of either was 9 years ago and we have to drive around 5 hours to reach both (roughly). I do like your reasonings for both timings though…..time to think!
I am marginally closer to Heathrow according to google maps but Gatwick tends to be an easier run and I prefer it. However for next year, I am concerned they might pull out of the Gatwick - Orlando route so I am only considering the Heathrow flights.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List