Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Jul 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Pet names for people

I am really enjoying the "cheeky" thread about what words/phrases people dislike hearing and was surprised by one of them being "love you to the moon and back". It got me thinking about, not only what our family says to each other about how much they love each other (which I'm sure people would find nauseating enough if they heard it in public), but what pet names might slip out sometimes without intention!

DS10's pet name was "Poppet" till he was about 6, it would sometimes be "Poppet-Loppet", until I was told by him that it could only now be "Poppet-Loppet", which in turn graduated to Poppety-Loppety, which remains current. I try not to use it in public now, obviously, as I remember the day I was no longer allowed to call DS18 "Chicken-Licken" in public (many years ago, I hasten to add) and I know my time may be up shortly anyway.

I would love to hear what pet names you and your family use, accidentally or not, in public that might cause cringing, offense, or any other involuntary reaction?
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Not too cringy but we call our dd “Bejjie” because her name is Isabella and in some parts of Spain the 2 L’s are usually pronounced as a j sound so it was ‘Isabejja’ and then ‘bejji’ . Just happened once while staying in gib with our family there 😂
Don’t really have one for dh but have about 1000 for our cats !
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
Not too cringy but we call our dd “Bejjie” because her name is Isabella and in some parts of Spain the 2 L’s are usually pronounced as a j sound so it was ‘Isabejja’ and then ‘bejji’ . Just happened once while staying in gib with our family there 😂
Don’t really have one for dh but have about 1000 for our cats !
I love it! Such a lovely memory to recount as she grows older too.
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

My dd is Anna Louise and we have always called her Lulu. I was worried she wouldn’t know her actual name was Anna as we rarely used it when she was little.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My 13 year old DS is Joseph but I always call him Joedooles, which comes from ‘oh toodles’ from Mickey Mouse club house lol, when it was on I would say ‘oh Joedooles’ instead. My 15 year old is Katie and we call her Boo, don’t ask me why! And my dad still calls me dude, my maiden name was Simpson and when the Simpsons came out the cowabunga dude was popular so one of his friends called me dude and it just stuck, I’m 40 in 2 months haha.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

There is a big age gap between my older two children and my youngest so we have all babied him. From him being born I have called him baba, come on baba, come here baba, whats the matter baba, see you later baba. I can’t help it, even though he is now 8 😬 I do it at the hospital and school, people must really cringe 😬
My husband and I call our eldest daughter Salty…… I wonder if anyone can guess why? We always call her Salty or Salt for short.
My middle son is called blue eye or blue eyed boy because he can never do anything wrong in my eyes, so everyone has always called him my blue eyed boy. To be fair he is the sweetest and most loving boy you could ever meet, his big goofy smile has always melted everyone’s heart and he is so emotional.
I say Dazy Wazy for my husband (Darren) 🤣🤣 I am known as No 1
Tilly gets called Totty Maud 😆
So we have:
Salty
Blue eye
Baba
Totty Maud
Dazy Wazy
No 1
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Rach182
Earning More Ears

Mobile

My gran always refers to me as Tillymint, though think it is a scouse thing.
Rach182 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

My mother called me Katie, which is not unusual except that my name is not Katherine, Catherine, Kathleen, Cathleen, Kaitlyn or anything that could be shortened to Katie.

I ask her why, she told me I looked like a Katie!

I call my children Apple-pie, Pumpkin-pie and Cookie-Crumble because they are all so sweet - when they are sleeping!
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Rach182 View Post
My gran always refers to me as Tillymint, though think it is a scouse thing.
Yes my grandma did the same. I have a lot of cousins (my dad was one of 13) and all the girls were tillymint or queen. Definitely a Liverpool things
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 21, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No nicknames for my eldest two but our youngest DD is known by close family as Wiggy , as a new born she had the biggest mass of dark curls that surprisingly looked like she had a wig on she had her first hair cut a month old as it was down past her nose . She’ll be 21 in October but she’ll always be my baba Wiggy 💜
Hence my user name
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List