Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jul 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Walking dogs in this weather - info

I’m still seeing people out walking their dogs in this ridiculously hot weather. It’s been 30 deg here the last couple of days, and seeing dogs out clearly struggling has really upset me.

I saw this info posted yesterday and thought I’d share (the temps were lower than we have been having here in the WM, so could be even higher stats than recorded in other areas)
How anyone can put their dogs through this is just incomprehensible 😢

I don’t like artificial grass anyway, as I like to encourage wildlife, as well as preferring grass for my dog - but this is really eye opening.

Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My dog hasn’t been out, she keeps looking at me with sad eyes. I took her for 20 mins yesterday at 8pm and she walked me round the block and home again, I’m waiting for my bag to come to carry her to the field so she can poop and sit in the shade x
Old 20 Jul 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My dog hasn’t been out, she keeps looking at me with sad eyes. I took her for 20 mins yesterday at 8pm and she walked me round the block and home again, I’m waiting for my bag to come to carry her to the field so she can poop and sit in the shade x
Sandra, If you got up before midday you could safely walk Poppy. I usually walk my doggy between 7-8am and also bring cold water for her.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

We walked the doodle puppy (he needs loads of exercise) at 0630 for a couple of hours over the common. Even when coming home around 0830 it was getting very warm and I had to M&S to buy some ice cream (well I didnt have to but it was a welcome treat)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I haven't been taking Benji out, our house backs onto the park and river and people have been out there from about 5.30am. We are going away tomorrow and we have got a lakeside pitch so me and Benji will be under the verandah until it cools down friday. He will have to go and have a wee up the hedge lol. 😂
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

My wife and myself [more my wife] has been taking our neighbours dog for a walk at around 7am - 7.30am for an hour then again later in the evening in this hot weather. When the temperature is a lot cooler we normally take her at around 1pm then again later in the evening.

We are so lucky as all in all we have our neighbours dog for around 6 hours a day [win win situation for all concerned]. Our neighbour is 80 years old and had a fall a few years ago and broke both his hips so my wife started walking his dog for him. She is only a small dog a cross between a Bichon Frise and a Skye Terrier but can easily pull him off balance which is why my wife started walking her. He has asked us if we will take her on if anything happens to him so we said yes but hopefully he has a few more years ahead
Old 20 Jul 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Up at 6am here ... 32 by midday hearing towards 36 now.

This girls going no where anytime soon.

You try moving 60 odd kilo of mastín 😂

Edited at 04:06 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Saw this earlier.

Scotsmomma2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
My dog hasn’t been out for a walk for weeks because she’s still recovering from a nasty leg infection.. but I wouldn’t walk her in this heat anyway .

Saturday my son was racing at Mildenhall and it was ridiculously hot, the amount of people that brought their dogs was shocking 🙈

One dog next to where we parked was clearly struggling in the heat , not surprising really when he was a Bull Mastiff / St Bernard cross..

I saw several people faint from the heat, yet idiots thought it ok to bring their dogs out
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Our cocker spaniel feels the heat at anything over 17degrees he pants .

Was out briefly this morning , hubby is usually up early so will take him when it’s cool for short walks.
Last night I took him out at 7 pm for only 10 mins.
Doubt he will get out today now.

He took a selfie while sitting looking out the window where there is a cool breeze coming in 😝

He lies here to cool down , he forgets he’s a bit big for it now .

Edited at 09:20 PM.
scottishmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List