Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Jul 21, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Florida / WDW overwhelming?

I’m a huge huge Disney parks fan but does anyone else find WDW and and Orlando holiday planning just so overwhelming with all that it involves? That I’d rather consider the smaller Disney Parks like Paris and California just because I feel more relaxed and less stressful and look forward to it more when it’s Paris / California.

the way you have to plan your fast passes etc beforehand and were you wanna be and wanna go each day and all the hints and tips to follow online just stresses me out. The bigger the Florida parks and WDW gets just gets more stressful as the years go by that it makes me look forward to it less and the smaller resorts like Paris more as its less stress free and don’t have to plan soooo much.

It means missing out on more rides and entertainment because of just how big Florida theme parks are, but you still get the Disney magic in Paris and California.

Actually the bigger WDW / universal Florida gets I look at these news rides and think oh they look great I’d like to experience them but the sheer amount you have to see and experience puts me off even attempting to plan it. I know you don’t have to see and visit everything but I know I will wanna see and visit it all the sheer amount to experience and plan is scary. It’s like where do you start!

The smaller Disney’s and universals just make everything seem easier and manageable, stress free and less worrying before your holiday. Your holiday should be stress free not making sure everything just so and your plans are just so.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I definitely found WDW overwhelming my first couple of trips there as an adult because the parks were so huge and there was so much to do. I went a bit nuts planning and had all these lovely touring plans and grand plans of what I wanted to do.

More recently though, I've become a lot more relaxed with my trip planning. I still book FPs and ADRs, but I'm not crazy obsessive about getting exactly the right timing/rides/ADRs and I'm willing to just go with the flow during the trip. I've intentionally missed FPs because I was in another part of the park (or in another park altogether) and didn't feel like rushing over for the FP. It's nice if I can get FPs for the big rides (like 7DMT or FOP) but if I don't, I'll just ride those rides at rope drop or park close.

I'm only able to do this because I've been very lucky and was able to go every now and again - so once I got comfortable with it as a holiday destination it feels easy to plan out what I want to do, and I am less bothered about trying to do every single thing on a trip (as opposed to my first couple of trips where it was more of a "once in a lifetime" thing).

The smaller Disney resorts are easier to plan - but I find that when I visit them I miss the immersion that I get in WDW. I still enjoy the trip, but it's a completely different feel for me.
Old 22 Jul 21, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I definitely found WDW overwhelming my first couple of trips there as an adult because the parks were so huge and there was so much to do. I went a bit nuts planning and had all these lovely touring plans and grand plans of what I wanted to do.

More recently though, I've become a lot more relaxed with my trip planning. I still book FPs and ADRs, but I'm not crazy obsessive about getting exactly the right timing/rides/ADRs and I'm willing to just go with the flow during the trip. I've intentionally missed FPs because I was in another part of the park (or in another park altogether) and didn't feel like rushing over for the FP. It's nice if I can get FPs for the big rides (like 7DMT or FOP) but if I don't, I'll just ride those rides at rope drop or park close.

I'm only able to do this because I've been very lucky and was able to go every now and again - so once I got comfortable with it as a holiday destination it feels easy to plan out what I want to do, and I am less bothered about trying to do every single thing on a trip (as opposed to my first couple of trips where it was more of a "once in a lifetime" thing).

The smaller Disney resorts are easier to plan - but I find that when I visit them I miss the immersion that I get in WDW. I still enjoy the trip, but it's a completely different feel for me.
I still feel immersed. You can’t see the real world from most places in the smaller resorts just like in WDW apart from say when you’re on the Ferris wheel in California adventure.

Your so lucky to have been so many times that you can relax more I feel it’s all gogogo all the time or I get their and plan rest days etc but just wanna be gogogo all the time as I don’t know when I’ll be back.

Theirs always so many peoples opinions and advice and endless amount of YouTube vids on planning the perfect Orlando holiday it just gets too much.
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

An interesting thread.

DD age 12 recently said that she didn’t like all the rushing round to get on rides /getting up early.
It’s made me reconsider my crazy plans for next year.

We’ve been twice and (apart from Star Wars) have done the all rides we like.

So, Florida 2022 will be a more chilled, relaxing animal.

Honest……😂
Old 22 Jul 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Personally no, I don’t find it overwhelming. I’ve been to both Disneyland in Anaheim and in Paris and they’re not a patch on WDW in my opinion.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Like many on here, I have been a big planner in the past but after a while, you realise that it does detract from the enjoyment a little and start to be a bit more relaxed.

More recently, we haven't stayed in WDW accommodation and don't often eat in WDW do not worried about dining reservations etc.

That is why, for our next trip, I am not liking this idea of booking parks in advance as it takes some of the spontaneity out of a holiday and, after all, this is still a holiday.

If you are tight for time, it is a first visit and you want to cram everything else in then yes, you should plan. You will be tired but it is worth it.

If you've been before and have enough time then you should be able to be a bit more relaxed about things and actually enjoy it for the expensive holiday that it is.

That is my view for now - check back in January when (hopefully) I will be getting ready for our next trip and see if I am still of the same opinion😂
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I found that doing less parks made it more enjoyable.
MK
AK
DHS
Epcot
TL
US
IOA
SW
BG

We were so tired when we got back.

Same as above but didn’t go any water parks and spend less hours a day in the parks.

MK
AK
DHS
Epcot
BB
US
IOA

Didn’t fancy going back to BG or SW as in 2008 the weather was bad so didn’t get on many attractions.

MK
AK
DHS
Epcot
TL
DS

We only did Disney as my daughter was only 4 and was under 40ins so pointless going to Universal.

I enjoyed booking fast passes as I always made sure my 1st 1 was around 10am.

Edited at 11:02 PM.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No! I love the planning. It's part of the fun for me. And then at the end of the trip my husband buys me something nice as a thank you for organising it lol, never going to say no to that! In all honesty, I am not a fan of holidays that don't need planning. Also not a fan of Disneyland Paris at all. Did it once, that was enough!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 21, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Love DLP but also love WDW. They are different kinds of holiday.

It normally takes me several years to save up for WDW so plenty of time to plan.

The thing is - you are on holiday. You are under no obligation to do everything. Planning means you can get round a lot of things with minimal queueing and no faffing - but of course, things will go wrong. Rides break down, rain happens, jetlag kicks in … so just go with it. You are allowed to change your plan. Take time to stop, sit on a bench and people watch. Hunt for hidden Mickeys. Have a relaxed lunch in one of the deluxe hotels abnd have a wander round. Slow down, relax and let the magic come to you.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 21, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Love DLP but also love WDW. They are different kinds of holiday.

It normally takes me several years to save up for WDW so plenty of time to plan.

The thing is - you are on holiday. You are under no obligation to do everything. Planning means you can get round a lot of things with minimal queueing and no faffing - but of course, things will go wrong. Rides break down, rain happens, jetlag kicks in … so just go with it. You are allowed to change your plan. Take time to stop, sit on a bench and people watch. Hunt for hidden Mickeys. Have a relaxed lunch in one of the deluxe hotels abnd have a wander round. Slow down, relax and let the magic come to you.
Definitely agree with this approach.
We’ll hit the parks early at the beginning of the holiday when are bodies are still on UK time, then start to relax more as we go through the 2 weeks.

That said, it WILL be an early start when we go to Universal for the first day anyway 😂

Hmm, this thread has really got me thinking!